What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
BS.Any sporting cpde's admin would want full stadiums.Both from a PR and marketing standpoint.

Code's also want to maximise their revenue, meaning it's a balancing act.Especially when you have ravenous clubs and players wanting big money, and grassroots crying out for it.They are also committed to playing games at country and interstate venues which can also affect crowds.
Then the need for decent stadiums.

The first opportunity for the code to really maximise crowds is 2018 ,when they control the scheduling.That will be the real test.

So Greenburgs comment last week isnt admitting they have agreed to a time slot that they consider likely to negatively impact attendance? They didn't know that agreeing to a Thurs and Mon night game last year would negatively impact attendances? Every time the NRL agrees to crap schedule slots to appease TV they do so knowing it will impact attendances, and very likely full ticketed memberships.

Of course they would prefer full stadiums, but they wont stand up to TV to achieve it, they cave in to take the money in the bank rather than take a hit in TV money (not that AFL has had to) and get serious about filling stadiums and clubs coffers accordingly.

chahrour123

Juniors
Crowd for the All Stars: 20,241 which is pretty much on par but overall it's a great crowd considering how hot it was today and what Newcastle fans have been through the last couple of seasons.

taipan

Referee
So Greenburgs comment last week isnt admitting they have agreed to a time slot that they consider likely to negatively impact attendance? They didn't know that agreeing to a Thurs and Mon night game last year would negatively impact attendances? Every time the NRL agrees to crap schedule slots to appease TV they do so knowing it will impact attendances, and very likely full ticketed memberships.

Of course they would prefer full stadiums, but they wont stand up to TV to achieve it, they cave in to take the money in the bank rather than take a hit in TV money (not that AFL has had to) and get serious about filling stadiums and clubs coffers accordingly.

You generalised.Then you admit it FMD" of course they would prefer full stadiums" which is my flipping point.
The NRL are screwed by the Tv deal to maximise income.Your comment that the NRL is not concerned about crowds is not true.
If Greenberg/Grant didn't realise Thursday and Friday 6pm would not affect crowds they are dumber than I am on the p*ss.That is crap.Greenberg was on the ANZ stadium ,then CEO of the Bulldogs.Grant being a former player know when people attend in large numbers or not.

The NRL had a choice either the Tv stations "You want $1.9bn then we need to maximise Tv ratings .Thursday night and because we lost Monday night we want 6pm Friday"
Or Greenberg/Grant to the Tv stations' We want no mid week games only 1 on Friday night the rest on sat/sunday,the Tv stations respond OK you got it here is $1bn".

The bleeding NRL clubs wanted the huge tV deal, money in their fat little hands ,and they let Grant and co know it.

Now from 2018 the position re scheduling will be in the hands of the NRL.

From what I've seen so far ,memberships overall are at least 16% up.So maybe more people will attend over the 4 days ,because shift workers have a better choice.Who knows?

And if the schedule had been based on weekends only ,any chance of Perth getting a team would be further down the end of the line.The NRL clubs would chew up the lot ,leaving SFA for grassroots.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We already gave fox live simulcast of every game, that in itself would have been their biggest new subscriber driver. Not wanting to get into how sht the media deal was again in reality, the fact is it once again has screwed the chances of nrl crowds growing significantly in the next few years, so strap in for another crowd thread of the odd glee and mostly disappointment for the year ahead.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As long as you limit your involvement I think it'll be okay.

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the last bastion of sensible Rugby League Discussion on the information superhighway.

Will Perth Red throw his toys out of the cot and announce a crisis?
Will Timmah calmly announce everything is A-ok?

Not wanting to get into how sht the media deal was again in reality, the fact is it once again has screwed the chances of nrl crowds growing significantly in the next

As long as you limit your involvement I think it'll be okay.

Didn't take long at all......

Sharkman05

Juniors
Looks like the Sunshine Coast Stadium to me.

Yes it is, the councils reconfigured the ground to rectangle with new hills on three sides to go with the relatively new grandstand and there is a new TV scoreboard.

I'm hopefull that NRL, rugby and A-league games can now be played on the Sunshine Coast.

NRL especially would be very successful up here with a estimated population of 380000 by 2026 ( currently around 280000) there is a real opportunity for clubs to cash in and bring regular season games up here and I see no reason why a stand alone NRL team wouldn't work up here in the future.

We really should start a LU Attendance Group.

Just like minded people who love their footy and want to go to games with others who do the same.

Sure, I love my rabbits and go to most if not all Sydney games, but sometimes you think 'oh I might give this one a miss'. But if you're going with a group of people, it spurs you on to get off your arse and go.

I've been wanting to start a Liverpool Rabbitohs fan club for a while, where people go to the games at ANZ and for away games in Melbourne, Brisbane, NZ etc, we all meet up at a pub or club to watch en masse. Does anyone do anything like that, and if they do, got any tips on what you did to set up?