What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Can talk all you want about attendances but some of the NRL trial games have attracted good crowds.
Insightful stuff.

I only saw three crowd figures - Storm/Warriors at Sunshine Coast 10169, Souths/Manly at Campbelltown 2564 and Eels/Titans at Alice 2207.

Will see if I can find any for the other games.

insert.pause

First Grade
Insightful stuff.

I only saw three crowd figures - Storm/Warriors at Sunshine Coast 10169, Souths/Manly at Campbelltown 2564 and Eels/Titans at Alice 2207.

Broncos/Sharks at dolphin oval had a great crowd.
16473017_1329099503824371_934705520638486991_n.jpg

Insightful stuff.

That Campbelltown figure is surprisingly low.

Can't find one for WIN. My mate is usually pretty spot on with crowd guesses down there called it 5.5k.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm told it was somewhere short of 4k.

As for Campbelltown (and any of the crowds in Sydney that night), I imagine it was low because of the weather.

Teddyboy

First Grade
That Campbelltown figure is surprisingly low.

Can't find one for WIN. My mate is usually pretty spot on with crowd guesses down there called it 5.5k.
Why have warm up games in NRL grounds when they should really be played else where.

Why have warm up games in NRL grounds when they should really be played else where.

Agree generally, but think Wollongong is probably a reasonable exception considering half the JV only get 4 games.

If Souths ticket prices were really $25+ then that explains it.

There should be preseason games in Tassie, Adelaide and Perth every year. Unfortunately, it's probably too disruptive this close to the season for most teams to be interested.

franklin2323

Immortal
I keep going back & forth on this Friday 6pm game, It will obviously have its problems in places like Sydney, but if people could get to games for a kick-off an hour later on a monday night, albeit in small numbers, we should expect at least as many on a Friday. Oddly, I think if anything is going to suffer in comparison to monday night, it will be ratings, particularly in qld during day light savings. Fox is obviously banking on big numbers for the second friday night game & are willing to sacrifice the earlier game somewhat. But it shouldn't have been a choice between lesser evils, the NRL needs to grow a pair and understand the networks should only be buying the right to broadcast the games the NRL schedule, not be told by networks what they are selling.

I doubt it will improve ratings much for the 2nd game. Dinner time, Wife and kids who may not be fans around or want the TV to watch others. On a big news day especially Ch7 and ch9 news will still rate well.

I have the App so will watch the game AFTER the 8pm game. I think most will do the same. I imagine the round 1 game at Belmore and Round 4 at Penrith will have terrible crowds. If the ratings don't justify it will be an embarassment

insert.pause

First Grade
I doubt it will improve ratings much for the 2nd game. Dinner time, Wife and kids who may not be fans around or want the TV to watch others. On a big news day especially Ch7 and ch9 news will still rate well.

I have the App so will watch the game AFTER the 8pm game. I think most will do the same. I imagine the round 1 game at Belmore and Round 4 at Penrith will have terrible crowds. If the ratings don't justify it will be an embarassment
rd5 roosters/manly is going to be ugly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are Melbourne up first in the 6pm slot? Will be interesting to see if the theory that being at a stadium in city centre makes a difference.

Timmah

Staff member
Good to see you follow the basics of NRL.

Round 1 is Belmore - Storm are playing as the away team.