What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

guyver78

Juniors
I was quite surprised at how many Sydney neutrals just turned on the roosters last Saturday night. Forget the final crowd figure, I don't think it was the best but wasn't that tragic either. There was a lot of Cowboys supporters there and a hell of a lot of neutrals like myself who turned on the Sydney team and supported the Cowboys.

I have a feeling they will easily outnumber the Storm supporters next weekend with Sydney neutrals once again supporting the boys from far Nth Qld.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
NSW cup grand final looks like it's about 500-750 people.

Why does NSW hate sport?

QLD cup GF - 11k
VFL grand final - 30k
SANFL grand final - 25k
WAFL grand final - 20k

NSW is the worst sporting state in the country.

Didn't the NSWRU grand final pack North Sydney Oval a few weeks back? Around 20K - The NRL and NSWRL need to get it together quickly in Sydney.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why the f**k would Sydney suddenly care about Wayne Bennett coaching England?

The game may have sold out, but you seem to be ignorant to the fact that the RLIF sold the game to the Victorian government. And it'll still sell out.

Last time England(Britain) played Australia in Sydney, 24'000 people turned up. This was back in 2006.

2014 - NZ - 25,429 at the SFS
2010 - PNG - 11,308 at Parramatta
2008 - Fiji - 15,855 at the SFS for a World Cup semi final.

There were a couple of better crowds before that, one was the World Cup opener and the other was the mid season test at the SCG, and I remember that game there was a massive plea for fans to attend because the game wasn't selling and it was celebrating 100 years of Rugby League in Australia.

So your thinking of 'an England vs Australia game with a Wayne Bennett factor would sell out in Sydney' is total bullshit. You have no idea what you're talking about. Again, you're an idiot.

Edit: By the way, the 'good' crowds Sydney got in 2008, had the Wayne Bennett factor. If you're happy with 34000 people turning up, good. We'll get that in Melbourne plus $500k.

Harsh....... but fair.

Stallion

First Grade
The core of this great competition lies in the Sydney metropolitan area. The tyrrany of distance (Australia wide)and sparse population has the game vulnerable when isolated clubs have poor periods. The largest city in Australasia with the best football code should be respected. Im suggesting that probably ten top flight NRL clubs in the Metropolitan area be maintained with a promotion and relegation set up for the other aspiring Sydney metropolitan clubs. This will entrech the game and interest/relevance in this geographically diverse and highly populated area. A twenty club competition should be happening now however spoilers and people making decisions not in the interest of rugby league development and cultural relevance are thwarting genuine progress of the game.

For your info Vee . page 375 of this thread.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
9 news just reported there are 12-14,000 tickets left for the grand final.

Thats promising! Alot of neutrals will shine to the underdog status of the Cowboys. Let alone the monumental effort of coming from 8th spot. The Melbourne storm have a classic red hot favourites image. Its a good mix.

whall15

Coach
It's possible to fly down significantly cheaper Townsville to Brisbane and then Brisbane to Sydney working out at about $500 one way.

moffla

Bench
Only single seats left in storm supporters section.

Plenty have purchased different parts of the ground too due to costs.

Cowboys will obviously bring a large amount so atsomphere will be good

M2D2

Bench
We've already had Brisbane v Melbourne and Brisbane v Cowboys Grand Finals that sold out, this will be no different. If anything the Roosters v Manly was probably a harder sell.
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

guyver78

Juniors
it will be close to a sellout, the rest of the tickets will be discounted.

I can see lots of support for the Cowboys

Emu01

Juniors
A story in today's SMH stating how Fox an channel 9 are lobbying the NRL and state government for the suburban grounds to refurbished into a more intimate venue.

They want to abandon the Big empty stadium look they said it's hurting their ratings. When Fox and 9 cover games at suburban grounds they see a spike in tv ratings. Suggesting fans are are over the big stadiums..

It also said Fox and 9 want Alliance to be a 30k stadium.

I don't like to brag but this is exactly what I suggested on here several times.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't like to brag but this is exactly what I suggested on here several times.

I wouldn't brag about having the same stadium policy as the parasites at 9 and Fox personally.. if they're so concerned about empty seats they wouldn't request such shitty timeslots for the past few years.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I wouldn't brag about having the same stadium policy as the parasites at 9 and Fox personally.. if they're so concerned about empty seats they wouldn't request such shitty timeslots for the past few years.
Or schedule souths or the bulldogs every other Thursday.