What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Brutus

Referee
I must be the only guy on this forum that actually lives in Sydney!?

I can assure you there is plenty of media attention and promotion for the games.
No matter which radio station I flick it to (main promotion for attending), which free to air station newscast (always ads on channel 9 obviously) or which of my regular Foxtel channels I view you always hear and see promotion of all the games and what times they're on etc..

Anybody saying there's no promotion of any games are just making excuses.

The NRL preaches to the converted.

They don't try to attract any new fans or fans that sail with the wind.

Pommy

Coach
Just seen roosters Manly is next weeks 6pm game.
That's going to be f**king awful. This isn't a lol @ easts posts either as Souths support is awful also.
But that time slot between a side with fairly low attendances and fans who don't seem to travel in big numbers.
Could it be sub 5k?

PaulyTom

Juniors
There is plenty of promotion. Fans just can't be arsed , don't have the time , times don't suit them or can't afford it.

Next Thursday is Bulldogs/Broncos? That'll be another good look for the sport. At least the Easts game won't be on FTA. The NRL do nothing but push their "brand" and yet week after week of empty stadia destroys any brand strength they seem to think they're building. It looks pathetic. And Nein are too stupid to realise it also hurts their product too.

undertaker

Coach
If they are going to stick with a 6pm Friday game the crowd needs to be compensated. They should have massive discounts and promote it as the cheap family friendly game.

But they won't, we have never tried to grow our crowds or the sport in general so let's just put games on and hope people turn up.

Well, I did advocate in a previous post that like what Cricket Australia have done with day/night test matches over the past 2 summers, the clubs should offer half-price tickets for those who can only attend the 2nd half. Allow entry in after the half-time siren at approx 6:45-50pm.

During the daylight saving period in the first 5 rounds, the 2nd (Ch9) Friday night game held in QLD (Brisbane/Gold Coast/Nth QLD) allows the possibility of the 6pm match in NSW/Canberra/Melbourne being pushed back to about 6:45-7pm, which allows the QLD game to kick off at 7:45-8pm (8:45-9pm in NSW), which would be a win-win situation for maximising crowd attendances for both matches. Ch9 telecast would begin at 8:30pm (7:30pm QLD). The NZ Friday night games at 6pm (8pm NZ time) should be after daylight saving is finished.

So, I would suggest if the NRL is going to persist with the 6pm/8pm Friday night match combination, to have it altered to 6:45-7pm/8:45pm for the first few rounds during daylight saving, with the 6:45pm game in NSW/Canberra/Melbourne and the 2nd game in Brisbane/Gold Coast/Townsville. After that, when it reverts back to 6/8pm from April onwards, to introduce the half-price ticket option for the 6pm game (excluding NZ, where it is already at a suitable time of 8pm)

Regarding the Thursday night game, it definitely needs to be held earlier than 8:05-10pm. 7:40-45pm would be the latest kick-off I'd have

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
If the weather's a bit nicer im quietly confident Roosters v Manly at 6pm won't be a complete disaster.
The SFS is one of the few places suitable for the timeslot. I much rather it than a Thursday game, easy bus trip straight from the city.

Generally, Ticket prices and kickoff times are as much a problem as the day allocations. As has been pointed out above, you have worse timeslots and still charge the same premium for tickets. Why? Why not set kickoff for 7.30 sharp instead of the increasingly later slipping post-8PMs we're getting? Why are there only 2 proper day games out of 8 every week?

Why do the Roosters/SFS charge $30 a ticket when they can't get close to filling the stadium, and even more bafflingly why do they charge $45-60 for the good seats when people aren't even buying the dud ones?
Roosters are just an example here because of the bigger stadium, but it applies to everyone.
How many times do you see Penrith stadium packed on the edges but an awkward empty gap between the 30 and 50m lines.

Sydney's event culture (lack of) is such that people for the most part would rather stay home or at the pub than go out. See this not only in NRL but live music and other areas too. BUT they will go out if given a reason, rather than roadblocks. All sorts of rubbish events pull crowds - the key is they are events and they're in good locations at good times with cheap tickets and hype around them.

The NRL is putting up more roadblocks than reasons right now.

It's been said a million times before but 25k at $10 a pop is better in so many ways than 7k at $30. Even if you don't make more money in gate takings, you increase hype, sponsorship, fan base etc.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Cumberland Tosser has gone missing and it's not because he actually decided to attend his first ever game and had no wifi

he's probably watching AFL

beave

Coach
Just got back from Cbus, the announced crowd looked about right. Lots of NQ fans in the house, was awesome to hear the cowboys chant go up.

thorson1987

Coach
Cumberland Tosser has gone missing and it's not because he actually decided to attend his first ever game and had no wifi

he's probably watching AFL

Free Wifi at ANZ though.

So of course he wasn't at the game.

More chance of Perth getting a team than that merkin going to a game.

Latest posts