What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Finals Wk2 - Eels v Cowboys (GAME DAY THREAD)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They're not 'much better' than us, just better suited to finals footy. If you couldn't see that you weren't watching.

Poo, you gotta stop believing what the media tell you. Finals footy is such a cliche.

I guess you'd think the Storm are a good finals footy team ?

lucablight

First Grade
Then why the question mark?

You are obviously a very intelligent and witty individual (love reading your clever retorts to some of the stuff on here LOL) and I wouldn’t dare insult you by trying to explain that.

I do think that finals experience can be valuable but that doesn’t mean you should be expecting to lose to a more experienced side. It’s just one of many factors that decides who wins or loses on the day.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Poo, you gotta stop believing what the media tell you. Finals footy is such a cliche.

I guess you'd think the Storm are a good finals footy team ?
They looked pretty ordinary in the final against us. I'd say most of their finals success over the years has come from being consistently one of the most talented sides. You play enough finals matches you'll win a few.

But the Cowboys appear to have lifted for the finals. They have played two weeks of near perfect footy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are obviously a very intelligent and witty individual (love reading your clever retorts to some of the stuff on here LOL) and I wouldn’t dare insult you by trying to explain that.

I do think that finals experience can be valuable but that doesn’t mean you should be expecting to lose to a more experienced side. It’s just one of many factors that decides who wins or loses on the day.
We were obviously a chance of beating the Cowboys. My point was that our chance wasn't reflected in the pre-match betting odds or media predictions.

Before the match I gave us 50-50. In hindsight I'd put it closer to 70-30 Cowboys. I'm tipping them to beat the Roosters too.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Doesn't suit the narrative. Most on here seem to believe that experience at this stage of the season is meaningless

We have to don't we? In the last 17 years, the season following a successful season has been average. 2002, 2006 and 2010 were all average and things eventually got worse in the seasons after. Therefore, it may suit a Parra fan's thinking that it now or never for us.

84 Baby

Referee
We were obviously a chance of beating the Cowboys. My point was that our chance wasn't reflected in the pre-match betting odds or media predictions.

Before the match I gave us 50-50. In hindsight I'd put it closer to 70-30 Cowboys. I'm tipping them to beat the Roosters too.
Care to gamble on that?

Anyone who doesn't think there is a difference in the pressure of a normal game and the pressure of a final has obviously themselves played in a nationally media hounded competition.

I coach my young trainees that there are 3 way to approach finals games.
1. The old crap my pants I'm playing a final, I hope I don't really crap my pants approach - see Mau's last 2 games. Please don't kill me Manu. These guys are the ones who go away from the game plan the quickest, which is either quicksand into worse pressure or occasionally they come up with a miracle play.
2. The treat the final like any other game approach - usually the older heads go this way. They're unlikely to come up with match winning plays but they won't have match losing ones either. See Brown's performance or every f**king one of the Cows. These guys stick to the game plan for the whole game, which is good if you're in the game, not so good if you're 6 down with no time left.
3. The failed athlete but still bumming around approach i.e. treat every f**king game like it's your last - see Kenny E. Deadset I would murder someone if it meant coming up with the match winning play of a D grade mixed netball preseason game. And then I would dance over the corpse. And take the match ball home to put on my mantle piece

hindy111

Post Whore
It's easy for me to criticise because I have never done it. I sat through a 54-14 loss in Canberra on a night where the windchill out at Bruce had the temperature at -14 and I broke a chair because Steve Crouch was a useless lesbian. I was at another mid-winter game in Canberra a week after a full knee reconstruction. It's not a pissing contest, as much as you seem to want it to be. It's nothing to do with me thinking I'm a better fan, and absolutely nothing to do with "not being at the game". I do not believe in walking out on the side. I think it's a shit thing to do. I know if I was playing and I looked up and saw the fans jumping ship I'd hardly want to play well for the pricks.

If you disagree, more power to you, but that's simply what I think.

Maybe you just have nothing better to do though? Ive walked put when winning just to beat crowd. Whats the last 5 mins?

hindy111

Post Whore
Tbh, I think more credit needs to go to the Cowboys - they were physical, they were composed, and they were in our faces all night.

Those factors definitely added to us sucking.

We choked.... Only scored two flukey run away tries. It could of been much worse and not sure scoreline refelcted game. They where a 20 point better team,

I honeslty thought we would steam roll them...Win by 20+ Complete disaster and no excuses. We should of won. Sure we over achieved but we ended the season poor.
2/3 last games where putrid. Lot of work to be done in off season.

hindy111

Post Whore
Funnily enough I've never walked out of a movie, although i wouldn't go and see a movie randomly so it would be rare I wouldn't like (or at least tolerate) the movie I see. Plus there's popcorn at the movies.......

I reckon if we had a conversation id walk out on you while yawning.....

hindy111

Post Whore
They looked pretty ordinary in the final against us. I'd say most of their finals success over the years has come from being consistently one of the most talented sides. You play enough finals matches you'll win a few.

But the Cowboys appear to have lifted for the finals. They have played two weeks of near perfect footy.

Against two teams who played woefull. I expect rooster to destroy them.

hindy111

Post Whore

I bet your wrong. Roosters will get job done just like we should of.

The only excuse I am prepared to use is we had Tepai,Gutherson and French missing. They missed JT and Scott but no more then we missed those 3. Plus Alvaro.

Eelementary

Post Whore
We choked.... Only scored two flukey run away tries. It could of been much worse and not sure scoreline refelcted game. They where a 20 point better team,

I honeslty thought we would steam roll them...Win by 20+ Complete disaster and no excuses. We should of won. Sure we over achieved but we ended the season poor.
2/3 last games where putrid. Lot of work to be done in off season.

I don't agree.

To say we choked is a massive cop out to the Cowboys, and they were great.

Latest posts