What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 internationals (non World Cup).

deluded pom?

Coach
What rules are there to be tightened? I'm sure all the players will be eligible for the nations playing so which rules need tweaking? We may not agree with the purity of these type of games but as far as I can see no rules are being broken.

Canada v USA

CANADA 21-MAN SQUAD

Jason Hignell, Connor Hunter (Abbotsford Griffins); Jon Cregg, Denny McCarthy, Christian Miller (Brantford Broncos); Jack Couzens (Capilano Cougars); Wes Black, Jared Curry, Jeff Lohse (Kelowna Roosters); Emil Borggren, Eddie Bilborough (C), Cam Grace, Chuck Curran, Nick Hails, Andrew Giguere, Danny Topou, (Toronto RLFC); Tom Dempsey, Rhys Jacks, Quinn Ngawati, (Toronto Wolfpack); Ruairi McGoff (Ulverston, England); Scyler Dumas (Vancouver Dragons)

USA 18-MAN SQUAD

Fotukava Hiko Malu, Nick Newlin (Atlanta Rhinos), Mike Elias (Boston 13s), Taylor Alley, Bart Longchamp (Central Florida Warriors), Martwain Johnston (Deleware Black Foxes), Pio Vatuvei (Jacksonville Axemen), Joshua Rice (New York Knights), Bureta Faraimo (NZ Warriors), Chris Frazier (Northern Virginia Eagles), Gabriel Farley, Andrew Kneisly (Philadelphia Fight), Jonathon St John, David Ulch (Tampa Mayhem), Joe Eichner (Toronto Wolfpack), Junior Vaivai (West Devils, Illawarra), Charles J Cortalano, Matthew Walsh (White Plains Wombats).

So finally the Wolfpack players are included for Canada. I read a mention of Burroughs playing for USA but he's not in the squad. Eichner still listed as Wolfpack though I thought he'd been let go.

USA just needs a win or a draw. Canada needs to win big.

langpark

First Grade
Why wouldn't it be RLIF-sanctioned?
If it's played under their own eligibility rules there's no reason it wouldn't be.

And how or why would they tighten the rules? It would go against every current trend and motivation they have.
"How" is quite easy and "why" I thought was obvious.

The reason I am asking why for a match involving Malta is because there has not been any domestic activity there for 2-3 years now! So i would have no problem with them losing the right to have their matches recognised as full internationals.

Also, this is what I read earlier in the year, which is why I asked if they were tightening the rules or not:
In the council meeting, following a lengthy debate, there was a consensus among members to increase the minimum number of domestic quota players in senior national squads from four to six.

Source: http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/1427/dutch-upgraded-following-rlef-congress

Stallion

First Grade
Canada v USA

CANADA 21-MAN SQUAD

Jason Hignell, Connor Hunter (Abbotsford Griffins); Jon Cregg, Denny McCarthy, Christian Miller (Brantford Broncos); Jack Couzens (Capilano Cougars); Wes Black, Jared Curry, Jeff Lohse (Kelowna Roosters); Emil Borggren, Eddie Bilborough (C), Cam Grace, Chuck Curran, Nick Hails, Andrew Giguere, Danny Topou, (Toronto RLFC); Tom Dempsey, Rhys Jacks, Quinn Ngawati, (Toronto Wolfpack); Ruairi McGoff (Ulverston, England); Scyler Dumas (Vancouver Dragons)

USA 18-MAN SQUAD

Fotukava Hiko Malu, Nick Newlin (Atlanta Rhinos), Mike Elias (Boston 13s), Taylor Alley, Bart Longchamp (Central Florida Warriors), Martwain Johnston (Deleware Black Foxes), Pio Vatuvei (Jacksonville Axemen), Joshua Rice (New York Knights), Bureta Faraimo (NZ Warriors), Chris Frazier (Northern Virginia Eagles), Gabriel Farley, Andrew Kneisly (Philadelphia Fight), Jonathon St John, David Ulch (Tampa Mayhem), Joe Eichner (Toronto Wolfpack), Junior Vaivai (West Devils, Illawarra), Charles J Cortalano, Matthew Walsh (White Plains Wombats).

So finally the Wolfpack players are included for Canada. I read a mention of Burroughs playing for USA but he's not in the squad. Eichner still listed as Wolfpack though I thought he'd been let go.

USA just needs a win or a draw. Canada needs to win big.

Great information! When is this game being played and where?

latingringo101

Juniors
Also on a side note, we (Latin Heat) are organising several international matches which include;

September 30- Liverpool all Saints

Latin Heat vs ASEAN select
Thailand vs Chile
Uruguay vs El Salvador

October 14- New era stadium Cabramatta

Latin Heat vs Africa United

langpark

First Grade
What rules are there to be tightened? I'm sure all the players will be eligible for the nations playing so which rules need tweaking? We may not agree with the purity of these type of games but as far as I can see no rules are being broken.
If Malta were to start qualifying for the World Cup at the expense of say, Wales or Ireland, would you be ok with that?

adamkungl

Immortal
I didn't realise the domestic game in Malta had fallen off. I take your point.

Yeah. If there's an issue with minimum domestic activity this is something that should be taken care of, same with the far higher profile Scotland.

As for quotas and the like - it's an issue which as been discussed at length. I personally think it should be left in the hands of individual nations.

For what it's worth - I can't find any information on how to play Rugby League in Malta on their Facebook page or website, merely advertising their Australian based national team.

As a half Maltese-Australian, this is sad. Malta should be one of the easiest places to grow the game in the world - close proximity to other similarly ranked nations and countless Maltese immigrants in working class areas of Sydney. Unfortunately only the latter half is being taken advantage of.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Sep 16: Norway residents 32 - 24 Sweden residents

Not sure why but it seems to have been treated as a 'friendly' rather than a ranked match.

adamkungl

Immortal
On a less positive note:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/n...ll-st-helens-wigan-wakefield?CMP=share_btn_tw

Talking of unwanted accolades, the RFL hierarchy have achieved something twice in the past four seasons that had only been done twice before since the second world war: they have failed to stage a home international in a calendar year! Six weeks out from the World Cup, most sports would put on a farewell friendly so fans could wave off their national team (as happened before the last World Cup down under in 2008). Not rugby league. With next year’s mid-season test in New Zealand, England fans will go 23 months without a home game. This also happened after the 2013 World Cup, when the RFL made the mindboggling decision not to capitalise on that feelgood factor by staging any England internationals in 2014!

Some research reveals that this had only previously happened twice in 75 years: in 1958 and 1976. Granted, seasons ran from September to May then and France came over early in one season and late in the next, so there was no home England or Great Britain game in 1958. And in 1976 our top players were recovering from playing a record 12 internationals the previous year! The RFL managed to host home internationals during the war (1943-45) but didn’t bother when half the team and the coach are based in Australia. After all, it’s not as if internationals snaffle up newspaper inches, TV and radio headlines, TV audiences, ticket sales and sponsors…

Obviously we all knew this. But it's still worth noting as unbelievably poor.
Every single playing nation needs to be playing home tests every single year.

jim_57

Staff member
On a less positive note:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/n...ll-st-helens-wigan-wakefield?CMP=share_btn_tw

Obviously we all knew this. But it's still worth noting as unbelievably poor.
Every single playing nation needs to be playing home tests every single year.

Don't worry, England B will keep the 6,000 fans who show at Leigh Sports village happy next year.

Really don't get the reluctance to just play full internationals again France, Wales etc with mostly/only Super League players. Every team in every sport rests & rotates players depending on the game.

I'd have 2 set games in the English calendar each year personally.
1 - Away V France
2 - Home V Invitational - play this post season, inviting different oponents each year. Think of a catchy name, make a shiny cup/shield and hire a decent stadium and bill it as a big event every year.

Edit: 3 - Away V NZ

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Don't worry, England B will keep the 6,000 fans who show at Leigh Sports village happy next year.

Really don't get the reluctance to just play full internationals again France, Wales etc with mostly/only Super League players. Every team in every sport rests & rotates players depending on the game.

I'd have 2 set games in the English calendar each year personally.
1 - Away V France
2 - Home V Invitational - play this post season, inviting different oponents each year. Think of a catchy name, make a shiny cup/shield and hire a decent stadium and bill it as a big event every year.

Rugby League is seemingly afraid to do anything that might result in a big score these days.

Since the 2013 WC England has played a grand total of 6 matches that weren't part of a 4N.
1 v Samoa, 2 v France and one series of 3 v NZ.

I can't believe the administrators of RL playing nations don't realise what a potentially huge property their national teams are.
You have the Kangaroos taking years off completely because Cam and JT don't feel like it.
You have the NZRL saying the Kiwis are their only profitable property but only ever playing matches at the whims of the Kangaroos.
The RFL similarly lazy and then on top of that refusing to broadcast the one game they have on Free TV due to some half-baked streaming plan.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Rugby League is seemingly afraid to do anything that might result in a big score these days.

Since the 2013 WC England has played a grand total of 6 matches that weren't part of a 4N.
1 v Samoa, 2 v France and one series of 3 v NZ.

I can't believe the administrators of RL playing nations don't realise what a potentially huge property their national teams are.
You have the Kangaroos taking years off completely because Cam and JT don't feel like it.
You have the NZRL saying the Kiwis are their only profitable property but only ever playing matches at the whims of the Kangaroos.
The RFL similarly lazy and then on top of that refusing to broadcast the one game they have on Free TV due to some half-baked streaming plan.

It IS staggering, isn't it ?

RL just doesn't get – and hasn't got for decades – that international RL could propel the game into the stratosphere.

Instead, the NRL gazes at its navel when not indulging in Origin hysteria, and the RFL just wants every Pro team to play a billion games a season and thus leave no place in its calendar for an England game.

Utterly pathetic.

deluded pom?

Coach
As someone said on the TRL forum it's like they (Australia, England and New Zealand) are frightened to organise games they know they will win. I've seen England play Australia and New Zealand numerous times. I'd now like the chance to see some variety in the games England play. I'm coming down to see the WC but I'm swerving England and Australia games, been there done that. I'm off to see New Zealand v Samoa and Samoa v Tonga.

kdalymc

Bench
Anyone here have any pull with international/touring teams, and interested in games on the Gold Coast, get in touch please..
We are currently aiming for a charity game on the Gold Coast November 4th/5th.
We are a charity side who play 9s comps and 13 a side games against anyone we can- we raise funds for a young mate who has spent the last 5 years in a brain injury clinic, but I want to expand this to a full time charity/ work with Young Care Australia.

We originally had a fixture against Phillipines organised- big day, 3 or 4 lead up games, music, kids rides, food ect followed by jersey charity auction after the game. However their schedule has clashed so now we need someone else...

The Partisan

I've seen England play Australia and New Zealand numerous times. I'd now like the chance to see some variety in the games England play. I'm coming down to see the WC but I'm swerving England and Australia games, been there done that. I'm off to see New Zealand v Samoa and Samoa v Tonga.

My mantra when i went over for the 2013 RLWC ..was I was there to support the code, the competition and at a distant third ..The Kangaroos. Made a point of taking in games without Oz / NZ as had seen them a number of times. Only saw them both when they reached the finals (NZ only for SF and final).

(So glad i made the decision to go as health / work issues have derailed my plans to attend games across the country for this comp. Had same in 2008 !!! Maybe just not meant to catch the Cup in Oz !)