What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Judiciary & Match Review

Iafeta

Referee
How the hell did Cameron Smith not get cited? He picked up Sam Lisone who was upright and already tackled, and then flipped him straight onto his head. He's a protected species.

nick87

Coach
Sia got charged for a late hit on Maloney... i mean watch the replay, it was only JUST late, he was already committed to the tackle and the only reason he hits the legs is because Maloney is so high on the kick

It's a penalty, clear and cut. No problems with that. But im f**ked if i can figure out why that's a charge.

bileduct

Coach
How the hell did Cameron Smith not get cited? He picked up Sam Lisone who was upright and already tackled, and then flipped him straight onto his head. He's a protected species.
Yeah, that was a textbook case of lifting to a dangerous position. What a f**king load of shit he didn't get cited.

AJB1102

First Grade

Agree. That is textbook lifting into a dangerous position.

The perks of being Cam Smith is all I can put it down to.

Sia got charged for a late hit on Maloney... i mean watch the replay, it was only JUST late, he was already committed to the tackle and the only reason he hits the legs is because Maloney is so high on the kick

It's a penalty, clear and cut. No problems with that. But im f**ked if i can figure out why that's a charge.

Mate that shit can end careers. Yes Maloney was high off the kick but ya just can't attack a players legs and the responsibility is on the defender not to.

We never wanna see another Steve Price on Cameron King again.

Pressure on the kicker is fine but don't attack the legs. Fine line but get it right or pay the penalty.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The 200 point charge on Matt Scott seems a harsh for mine.

Like it matters he won't play another game for you anyway as he's done his knee and is more than likely leaving at the end of the season.

Charge was fair enough especially when you got lucky with Jason Taumalolo's charge (how that is only a grade 1 is beyond me.

Canard

Immortal
Like it matters he won't play another game for you anyway as he's done his knee and is more than likely leaving at the end of the season.

Charge was fair enough especially when you got lucky with Jason Taumalolo's charge (how that is only a grade 1 is beyond me.

Injury is irrelevant. Lolo's charge is irrelevant to Scott's tackle.

I note both players are fighting the charge also. Hopefully they get off so Broncos fans have a big cry.

Charlie124

First Grade
LoLo should get off his charge comfortably given the new wording of the shoulder charge rule. There's no way you could argue that there was no attempt to use his arms, we wouldn't be fighting a grade 1 charge when he's only facing missing a home game against manly if we didn't think we'd be successful.

Charlie124

First Grade
Absolute robbery. This is the NRL's own new definition of a shoulder charge, made in the offseason.

"a player will be charged if the contact is forceful, and the player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player."

Surely you can't make an argument that no attempt was made to use his arms in the tackle. His arm isn't tucked down by his side, its clearly on the rise.

bileduct

Coach
Wow.

Cameron Smith doesn't even get cited for dangerous lifting and somehow Taumalolo's tackle is a shoulder charge worth a 2 week ban.

FMD.

Burwood

Bench
Absolute robbery. This is the NRL's own new definition of a shoulder charge, made in the offseason.

"a player will be charged if the contact is forceful, and the player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player."

Surely you can't make an argument that no attempt was made to use his arms in the tackle. His arm isn't tucked down by his side, its clearly on the rise.

Looks like he has a clenched left fist to me, so going off the definition you quoted, he's guilty.

Burwood

Bench
what on earth would a clenched fist have to do with anything? what are you even reading?

I'm reading from the definition you posted. It's actually straight after the part you bolded.
his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player

Who goes in to make an effective tackle with a clenched fist? If this was 2016, yep, I'd agree that JT would have a pretty strong defence at the judiciary. But it's 2017, and it appears the days of a player trying to hide a shoulder charge by having their arm leave the side of their body have gone.

Charlie124

First Grade
the rule doesn't say that you have to use your hands. It says that you have to use or attempt to use your arms (which obviously include your hands). They are two very different things.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Taupau used his hands in his tackle as well.

Take solace in the fact you are playing a completely decimated forward pack this week, so the suspension should not be costly.

Burwood

Bench
the rule doesn't say that you have to use your hands. It says that you have to use or attempt to use your arms (which obviously include your hands). They are two very different things.

Now I have to be the one to ask what you are reading?

It sounds like you are saying that the NRL included the term "including his hands" purely because they wished to inform people that hands are attached to arms (not to be confused with the hands attached to legs???). :confused:

So basically the NRL didn't include the term "including his hands" because they were explicitly detailing that the hands must be used to show clear intent that the tackler was attempting to wrap up the ball carrier, and not just sit them on their arse? :D

Answer these two questions for me:
1. Did JT make forceful contact?
2. Did JT use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands)?

insert.pause

First Grade
Cowboys were stupid to challenge it, it was a textbook shoulder charge.

Gives Paul Green something new to whinge about though...

Charlie124

First Grade
Answer these two questions for me:
1. Did JT make forceful contact?
2. Did JT use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands)?

1. Yes (like all good tackles do)
2. Yes (case should have been thrown out at this point)