What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Kiwi's world cup team

Just a bit of fun. Obviously it's a long way away and many new players will come into the fold but in the meantime - let's speculate!

1. Pita Hiku
2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Dean Whare
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Kieran Foran
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Ben Matulino
9. Issac Luke
10. Jesse Bromwich
11. Tohu Harris
12. Jason Taumalolo
13. Manu Ma'u

14. Ben Henry
15. Kevin Proctor
16. Martin Taupau
17. Frank-Paul Nu'uausala

No, for rugby league, for international rugby league, for Tongan rugby league. Australia has nothing to do with it.

Hey after Aussie James, Papali, Lote Tiquri, petero civoniceva - I think we should be allowed to drop our standards a little don't you think??

hutch

First Grade
Hey after Aussie James, Papali, Lote Tiquri, petero civoniceva - I think we should be allowed to drop our standards a little don't you think??

1 - that has nothing to do with hurrell playing for nz.
2 - there is a difference between emigrating to Australia as a child with your family, then moving to nz in your teens on a sporting scholarship. I agree papalli, tamou shouldn't play for Australia as well.
3 - nz has had their fair share over the years, Nathan fien, Brent Webb, jake Webster, Ben Roberts, fui fui etc.

I couldn't care less what other countries do or have done, here with a have a person who is genuinely from tonga, of which there are less than a handful in the comp. He should be the face of rugby league in tonga, should only play tests for tonga and other countries should step back and ensure this remains.

He's stated previously that he will play for NZ if picked... this is from 2012...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6995454/Warriors-Konrad-Hurrell-commits-to-NZ

Although intensely proud of his Tongan upbringing and family, Hurrell said he would definitely take the opportunity to represent New Zealand if it came his way.

"My heart is for Tonga but if I get the opportunity to play for the Kiwis, I'd take it with two hands," he said.

"I'll always be loyal to my country, but I'd always take the opportunities as they come. It's better for me and my family, especially for my future."

Having said this, Hurrell played for Tonga under the "Second-class country" rule at RLWC13...

Last edited:
1 - that has nothing to do with hurrell playing for nz.
2 - there is a difference between emigrating to Australia as a child with your family, then moving to nz in your teens on a sporting scholarship. I agree papalli, tamou shouldn't play for Australia as well.
3 - nz has had their fair share over the years, Nathan fien, Brent Webb, jake Webster, Ben Roberts, fui fui etc.

I couldn't care less what other countries do or have done, here with a have a person who is genuinely from tonga, of which there are less than a handful in the comp. He should be the face of rugby league in tonga, should only play tests for tonga and other countries should step back and ensure this remains.

and what? miss out on a opportunity to compete against the best? Instead be subjected to floggings by the likes of NZ, Aus and Britain? He came to NZ for Rugby union and weightlifting scholarship, he learned how to play league in NZ, he should be able to represent NZ.

hutch

First Grade
and what? miss out on a opportunity to compete against the best? Instead be subjected to floggings by the likes of NZ, Aus and Britain? He came to NZ for Rugby union and weightlifting scholarship, he learned how to play league in NZ, he should be able to represent NZ.

He is not a New Zealander. There should be a better schedule to entice the likes of hurrell to play for their country.
As for the floggings, how can a country such as tonga compete when THEIR best player is representing a country they aren't even from?

hutch

First Grade

roughyedspud

Coach
this is why ive given up on the eligibility bollocks.....nobody knows the f**king rules and make up rules when they want....

what happened to feleti mateo did it for me...he missed out on a world cup because someone (at the nswrl) told him and tonga that he wasn't eligible for tonga anymore because he "elected to switch" to australia to play for nsw.....a complete and utter LIE!....yet it was reported as FACT by several australian reporters

the RLIF even used mateo as a example of how origin impacts international RL

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7200042/Australia-gets-Origin-blame-from-top-official

For example, Warriors star Feleti Mateo could represent Tonga at next year's world cup even if he achieves his ambition of playing for New South Wales. It's only once he plays for the Kangaroos that he would then be ineligible.

"The reality is that Feleti has played for Tonga and he remains, at this stage, a Tongan international as long as he doesn't play an international for any other country that he qualifies for," Carter said.

so he never played for australia let alone bloody NSW....yet some how he's not eligible for tonga despite the fact the RLIF made it very clear he was!

the eligibility rules are here for all to see

http://www.rlif.com/about-rlif/laws_regulations

3.3 A player who is eligible to play for more than one country shall be entitled to elect for which country he wishes to play. When a player plays a Senior International Match for a country, he is deemed to have elected to play for that country. Subject to Rule 3.5, once an election is made the player may not play Senior representative rugby league for any other country until the end of the next World Cup tournament, or the expiry of two years, whichever is earlier (“Election Period”).

feleti may well have elected to switch but because he never played for australia he was free to go back to tonga......its EXACTLY the same rule that allowed danny brough to "switch" back to scotland after failing to get a place in the england team...akulia "f**king" uate actually played for NSW & australia and was still was allowed to play for fiji in the world cup....THATS HOW f**kED UP ALL THIS IS...all because wankers at the NSWRL and their puppets in the media put out mis-information and barefaced lies...

anyway...its not worth having a stroke over anymore

3.3 A player who is eligible to play for more than one country shall be entitled to elect for which country he wishes to play. When a player plays a Senior International Match for a country, he is deemed to have elected to play for that country. Subject to Rule 3.5, once an election is made the player may not play Senior representative rugby league for any other country until the end of the next World Cup tournament, or the expiry of two years, whichever is earlier (“Election Period”).

Thanks Spud - this is indeed the rule I was referring to... I'm not 100% up on the current state of eligibility rules but, as you point out, I'm hardly the only one!

hutch

First Grade
I don't think anyone is up to date on them. They are broken regularly, they are reported differently and the big 3 countries pretty much do what they like anyway without anyone coming down on them!