What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Club Membership

Perth Red

Post Whore
agree with all you say except for the highlighted part. souths are still very much viewed as the bogan team or the team that the lower socio economic fans follow by general league fans in sydney.

ok, outside of Sydney then. But centralising and not confining themselves to a small region has played a big part as well.
Id say they are the best known club and their brand is the best known of any RL club in the world. Again slick marketing, cool merch design and having Hollywood involved has done them wonders compared to the piggins days.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Actual reasons, not tacky generalised bullshit
I'm it's true though.

It is a reason.

After what we've been through our supporters join as members in big numbers knowing how important it is.

Our club really focuses on engaging the members.

There are lost of great memberships too choose from too.

We are a big brand thanks to Rustys help.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm it's true though.

It is a reason.

After what we've been through our supporters join as members in big numbers knowing how important it is.

It's not true - it's good marketing, a good sales strategy and fairly good retention. It's also a lot easier to get low-cost non ticketed members to renew which puffs the numbers up.

Drop the "pride of the league" rubbish, it's not a reason. If it were, you'd be doubling Brisbane's numbers in a heartbeat.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm it's true though.

It is a reason.

if that was the case surely you would have had massive member numbers from 2002 onwards. how come your memberhsips were virtually non existent until 2009?

Rabbits20

Immortal
It's not true - it's good marketing, a good sales strategy and fairly good retention. It's also a lot easier to get low-cost non ticketed members to renew which puffs the numbers up.

Drop the "pride of the league" rubbish, it's not a reason. If it were, you'd be doubling Brisbane's numbers in a heartbeat.
It's not rubbish.

That's what we are known as. ABC and Triple M radio have said that when The Pride of the League is going well leagues good.

After what Souths have been through that is a big factor as well. You don't seem to understand but I wouldn't expect an opposition supporter to understand.

Brisbane only has the GC as their other team up there. There are 9 clubs in Sydney.

Imo the Broncos membership numbers are disappointing. They should be higher. They get great crowds but the members don't commit.

Now a problem with the Dogs is I don't consider them a family club like Raelene says so. If it's a big happy family why don't you have the most members. It's obvious a fair chunk of Dogs supporters think it's not important to be a member. Now that isn't supprting your team properly imo. The passion isn't there as much so to speak.

This season you've got lots of day games, that's perfect for you guys to sign up 3 game members.

As for Souths we pretty much have all Friday night games. At one stage we have 10 Friday's in a row. That's not family friendly at all so it's hard for our members to get out there. I already know of a lot of members who can only make a few Fridays due to work.

Rabbits20

Immortal
if that was the case surely you would have had massive member numbers from 2002 onwards. how come your memberhsips were virtually non existent until 2009?
They probably didn't realise the importance at the time. Then over time they've realised just how much the club means to them.

Richo has been great for us in the connection sense of things.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's not rubbish.

That's what we are known as. ABC and Triple M radio have said that when The Pride of the League is going well leagues good.

After what Souths have been through that is a big factor as well. You don't seem to understand but I wouldn't expect an opposition supporter to understand.

Brisbane only has the GC as their other team up there. There are 9 clubs in Sydney.

Imo the Broncos membership numbers are disappointing. They should be higher. They get great crowds but the members don't commit.

Now a problem with the Dogs is I don't consider them a family club like Raelene says so. If it's a big happy family why don't you have the most members. It's obvious a fair chunk of Dogs supporters think it's not important to be a member. Now that isn't supprting your team properly imo. The passion isn't there as much so to speak.

This season you've got lots of day games, that's perfect for you guys to sign up 3 game members.

As for Souths we pretty much have all Friday night games. At one stage we have 10 Friday's in a row. That's not family friendly at all so it's hard for our members to get out there. I already know of a lot of members who can only make a few Fridays due to work.

This post is why no one takes you seriously on this forum.

'The pride of the league' is a self appointed name. I don't know any non Souths fans who have ever called them that.

If rugby league is only going well when Souths are then how it didn't die a horrible death between 1990-2011 when Souths were a basket case is beyond me. You use triple m as an example as saying this. It didn't happen to be Maroon did it? On the triple m call of Souths v Cronulla on Monday night Dan Ginnane commented when the crowd of 8,000 was named 'there wouldn't be more then 3 or 4,000 here.' Apparently triple m are gospel, so you agree that Souths inflate their crowd figures yes?

Whereas timmah and everyone else is wrong with their opinion on Souths self appointed name, you've taken the step of declaring that the Bulldogs are not 'the family club.' Your reasoning then shows that you don't even know why the dogs were called the family club on the first place.

So again it's only you and Souths who are right, but everyone else on here and other clubs, are completely wrong.

Dogs fans arent as passionate and don't support their team as much as Souths fans do? Well in 2016 the dogs averaged 15,202 fans at home games whereas Souths averaged 14,331. Please note that the Souths crowd average includes the 38,000 fans that attended the Souths and dogs game on Good Friday which greatly helps their figures.

I believe that a true show of passion is getting off your arse and attending a game. Anyone can fill out a form online, pay $4 a month and be a member. The true supporters are the ones that take time out of their busy week to trek out to Homebush, sit there in the freezing cold and cheer their team on regardless of where they are on the table. Would you not agree with that? It's very easy to sign up at the start of the year after your teams made 4 finals series on a row. True passion is being there when they have no hope of making it.

I've said that Souths sell their memberships and do their game day better then any other team in sydney. Well done to them, if every other team followed their lead (admittedly Souths resources help) the league would be a lot better off.

As shocking as this may be to you, your opinion is not fact and everyone who disagrees with you is not automatically incorrect.

Blues Riff

Bench
Speaking of self appointed titles, it's about time the "Sleeping Giant" updated it's membership figures.
I'm expecting the 'Men in Black" to reach 20k this season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This post is why no one takes you seriously on this forum.

'The pride of the league' is a self appointed name. I don't know any non Souths fans who have ever called them that.

If rugby league is only going well when Souths are then how it didn't die a horrible death between 1990-2011 when Souths were a basket case is beyond me. You use triple m as an example as saying this. It didn't happen to be Maroon did it? On the triple m call of Souths v Cronulla on Monday night Dan Ginnane commented when the crowd of 8,000 was named 'there wouldn't be more then 3 or 4,000 here.' Apparently triple m are gospel, so you agree that Souths inflate their crowd figures yes?

Whereas timmah and everyone else is wrong with their opinion on Souths self appointed name, you've taken the step of declaring that the Bulldogs are not 'the family club.' Your reasoning then shows that you don't even know why the dogs were called the family club on the first place.

So again it's only you and Souths who are right, but everyone else on here and other clubs, are completely wrong.

Dogs fans arent as passionate and don't support their team as much as Souths fans do? Well in 2016 the dogs averaged 15,202 fans at home games whereas Souths averaged 14,331. Please note that the Souths crowd average includes the 38,000 fans that attended the Souths and dogs game on Good Friday which greatly helps their figures.

I believe that a true show of passion is getting off your arse and attending a game. Anyone can fill out a form online, pay $4 a month and be a member. The true supporters are the ones that take time out of their busy week to trek out to Homebush, sit there in the freezing cold and cheer their team on regardless of where they are on the table. Would you not agree with that? It's very easy to sign up at the start of the year after your teams made 4 finals series on a row. True passion is being there when they have no hope of making it.

I've said that Souths sell their memberships and do their game day better then any other team in sydney. Well done to them, if every other team followed their lead (admittedly Souths resources help) the league would be a lot better off.

As shocking as this may be to you, your opinion is not fact and everyone who disagrees with you is not automatically incorrect.
I don't care on your take. I have a few in the Souths forum and we get along fine.

SOUTHS make these winter coat things which you buy at the club or the game and on them they say Sons of Glory and we are the pride of the league. Many Souths members say it actually. So you are uninformed on this one. I'm actually shocked you didn't realise considering you think you know it all. It's said it in the papers many times too.

Actually you say SOUTHS fans, well you must just know Souths fans and not members. There is clearly a difference between the 2.

No it wasn't Maroon. I was a that match and it wasn't a nice night. There were lots just above the commentary boxes on level 4 west and in corporates that night.

If you want to know a club that does so It'd be the Roosters. Their old ground announcer who also works for 2gb said they were guilty of it, especially on the night when it was horrid and they played the Titans on a Monday night and said there was 6k there when there was no more than 2k there.

I'm not having a go at Timmah so don't turn it into that. I respect Timmah for his view and I was sharing mine. That's my view re the Bulldogs and I'm not the only one to think that. I don't care why they call it the family club tbh with you.

If you don't sign as a member I believe you're not fully committed to your side.

Also just on Good Friday, nearly all Souths members I know can't make the game as they celebrate Easter and go away to see relatives. Also lots of Souths members I know avoid going and taking the kids when we play the Dogs due to safety. They will actually happily go when we play the Tigers though. I believe Souths and the Tigers bring out the best in one another and the banter is good all without getting out of hand.

I'm happy with those figures considering we barely get a day game. Other clubs need to be focussing on signing up non ticketed members or 3 game members like Souths do.

I disagree with your take on true passion. If you havr not committed to your club then that's not full committment imo. For example I go for the Swans but I am not a member. Therefore I am not truly passionate about them. I go for the Thunder but am not a member which shows I'm not truly passionate.

I'm not saying you are incorrect either or Timmah. I'm just giving my view. You think you're right and I think I'm right. It makes for good discussion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The fact that souths make so much money off these memberships should be admired and reproduced, not ridiculed
I actually tend to agree here. As much as it might grate on the rest of us that they puff their figures up with low-cost non-ticketed options, it's just smart marketing and a good sales strategy. More clubs would do well to get those supporter-level memberships sold to their casual fanbase.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Souths do have a very good range of membership options:
2 Diamond
2 Gold
2Silver
3 GA
5 match
3 match
WA
Qlnd
International
Non Ticketed Supporter
Jnr
Toddler
Baby
Pet

19 Different membership options

Cheapest 12* game ANZ GA membership is $245, not sure how this compares to GA at other clubs?

Last edited: