What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Club Membership

taipan

Referee
My latest calcs.closing in on 238,000 ,as of now :237,781.

For a one city team in a rl city , the Broncos should be better than 27,627.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think it is fair to say most teams should be better, but starting from a low baseline and having fan unfriendly scheduling I don't think any team is terrible, just some still are no where near their potential. If you cant get 20k members then its a pretty poor state of affairs for a club in one of the countries biggest codes. If we see a 10-15% increase each year then we should be happy imo.

taipan

Referee
I think it is fair to say most teams should be better, but starting from a low baseline and having fan unfriendly scheduling I don't think any team is terrible, just some still are no where near their potential. If you cant get 20k members then its a pretty poor state of affairs for a club in one of the countries biggest codes. If we see a 10-15% increase each year then we should be happy imo.

Overall up about 19+% so far.Agree 20,000 should be considered par for the course, even for the likes of Titans.I can see the Storm heading there very soon.
Give suburban clubs better facilities with more cover, and the 20,000 mark is realistic.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The "Brisbane should be doing better" line is a bit tired.

Yeah they probably could and should have more members - but even then they're streets ahead of just about every team in the comp.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I would hope by 2023 when both stadiums are built we have Rabbitohs , Bulldogs and Parra pushing between 40-50k members .

TIGER14

Bench
Sharks a long way behind where they should be considering they won the premiership.
How do you win the comp and have the 4th fewest members in the following season...

taipan

Referee
Sharks a long way behind where they should be considering they won the premiership.
How do you win the comp and have the 4th fewest members in the following season...

Yeah they should be well up, but still a decent increase .I'll await their final 2017 figures.Think they'll end up around the 15,000 mark.
Little cover from the elements doesn't help ticketed numbers.

AJB1102

First Grade

As a Sharks fan I think its pretty pathetic. I was at the GF and it was ridiculous how many Sharks fans were there. Of the 80K there if we were very, very conservative and say just HALF were Sharkies (I'd actually estimate 60K+) then surely 20K members shouldn't be asking too much. $50 for a non-ticketed FFS.

Panther91-03

Juniors
As a Sharks fan I think its pretty pathetic. I was at the GF and it was ridiculous how many Sharks fans were there. Of the 80K there if we were very, very conservative and say just HALF were Sharkies (I'd actually estimate 60K+) then surely 20K members shouldn't be asking too much. $50 for a non-ticketed FFS.

Yeah but in GF's its mainly bandwagons who'll only show up for the big dance and not the whole season. It was the same thing with the Cowboys last year

AJB1102

First Grade
Yeah but in GF's its mainly bandwagons who'll only show up for the big dance and not the whole season. It was the same thing with the Cowboys last year

Oh yeah I get that. But say we go with the conservative estimate of just half the crowd being Sharkies (40ish-K) and then say half of that is bandwagon (20ish-K) then that still leaves another 20ish-K who are fair dinkum, plus those who are also fair dinkum but couldn't make the GF for whatever reason.

10 days out from kickoff and we're sub 12k. Bit shit IMO.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Cronulla should get at least 10k bandwagon members from last year's success on top of what they ended up with in 2016.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
A couple of points on the Panthers numbers.

1. I still believe the actual current figure is more and the club has been slack in reporting the correct figure.

2. Our first home game isn't until Round 3 (March 18) so there isn't a huge urgency to get a membership yet.

There is more optimism about the sides chances this year than any year that I can remember. I think we will end up around 20K like we did last year.

Well with the sharkies
the ET stand memberships are all sold and there is a waitlist.
so..however many that holds is sold ticketed.
those are the best seats for season tickets as burns is in the elements and porter stand is behind the posts.

as for the numbers,. they are up on last year by about 2-3 thousand depending on the dates.
anecdotally there are people on my twitter who are big sharks fans who aren't members due to
A. the packs being shit
B. I support my team my way and blah
C. interstate etc
D. spent a f**kload (a standard unit of measurement) on merch, memorabilia etc.

the packs are getting better.
its about engaging those people set in their ways. I bet if you looked at demographics of sharkies fans the younger ones would have a higher percentage of membership.
but that's the same with everyone.

Raiderdave

First Grade
id think if the sharks only finish up with 15,000 as some are predicting , that'd be highly dissapointing seeing as they had almost that many in 2016 when they weren't the premiers

a premiership usually results in a spike
most clubs had a sharp up turn in memberships the year following winning a title

Roosters in 2014
Souths in 2015
Cowboys last year

while its still early days , I'd hope the sharks do a lot better then 15,000 in 2017

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

While I definitely agree our figure could be better, I don't agree that they should.

Although we are a club that does get a 'rub of the green' for beneficial game days for the players (i.e constant Thursday and Friday nights). This to us members (have been since moving to Brisbane in 2010) is absolute poison. Then we add the pricing, its getting pretty expensive to sit in nice seats, to the point where the thought of "maybe if I just spent double and got a stadium membership" rises.

I had a look at the ticket sales map for games long from now and it looks like we would have around 17 - 19k ticketed members. This is solid. If we take souths giant membership and broke it down, I would not be surprised if about 6-8k were ticketed.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
i think sths is about 17k ticketed... probably not all season ticketed lots of 6 -3 game packs id say...

Going by the amount of 10k games they have at home

Raiderdave

First Grade
While I definitely agree our figure could be better, I don't agree that they should.

Although we are a club that does get a 'rub of the green' for beneficial game days for the players (i.e constant Thursday and Friday nights). This to us members (have been since moving to Brisbane in 2010) is absolute poison. Then we add the pricing, its getting pretty expensive to sit in nice seats, to the point where the thought of "maybe if I just spent double and got a stadium membership" rises.

I had a look at the ticket sales map for games long from now and it looks like we would have around 17 - 19k ticketed members. This is solid. If we take souths giant membership and broke it down, I would not be surprised if about 6-8k were ticketed.

i think the consensus is the Broncos should be at 40K regardless
they were just on 37,000 in 2016
& appear to be tracking ahead of last years figure for 2017 , so I think they'll hit 40,000 this year anyway