What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Finals Schedule News/Predictions/Requests etc.

I absolutely agree.

This is the NRL though and all I am saying is I can see them doing it. They have already told us (in 2013) that any roosters home prelim against souths/dogs/parra will be at ANZ so it is not a stretch that they would move a potential QF if they felt the need to move one of them.

I agree they should just play 3 fixtures at the SFS if required though. I actually think the 6PM game might be a better option. All the AFL fans will be settled in and the buses can continue for NRL. There would then be a staggered rush of fans leaving at approx. 7PM and 7:45 PM. If you start it at 8PM you have the scenario of 40k trying to leave as 30k try and turn up which might be a bit of a nightmare for buses, parking etc.

In 2013? I don't think so. You may be confusing that with 2014 when we played Souths out at ANZ in week 3 of the finals. That happened more so because we lost in week 1 of the finals that year to the Panthers. As such Souths, as the highest ranked winning team in week 1 got the home ground advantage.

However I disagree with you about the Saturday game. Staggering fans to leave at 7 pm and 7.45 pm? Mate, few if anyone would be out of the car park from the AFL by 7.45 pm. That is why I reckon that if there are to be 3 games at the SFS in Week 1, Saturday 8pm is the best option for that day with the other 2 games being Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

Valheru

Coach
In 2013? I don't think so. You may be confusing that with 2014 when we played Souths out at ANZ in week 3 of the finals. That happened more so because we lost in week 1 of the finals that year to the Panthers. As such Souths, as the highest ranked winning team in week 1 got the home ground advantage.

They definitely told us in 2013 that home prelims against big drawing opposition could be moved to ANZ. Both the Rabbitohs and dogs were potential opponents that season (before the finals started) so I think that is where it come from.

I can't find the article online but pretty sure that is what was communicated to us. We are a decent chance to host parra this year in a prelim final so we may get an answer.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The NRL have surely already pencilled the Storm game in for the Sat.
Would be mental to do otherwise
If you want Melbourne's attention, play it a Sunday as no AFL. OR Sat night as no Melbourne AFL teams playing.

From the Telegraph's website - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...z/news-story/c3ca13f2bf50dbe38754a00d73251dcb -

Record six Sydney sides set for finals as NRL looks to cash in on Sydney Swans double at Allianz
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
August 29, 2017 8:00pm

WHO said there’s too many NRL teams in Sydney?

The harbour city is set to be rocked by finals fever like never before with a record six Sydney teams on the verge of making this year’s NRL finals.

And the NRL has also scrapped talk of a week-one double-header by instead using the AFL and Sydney Swans as a vehicle to lure more fans into Allianz Stadium.

With the Roosters, Eels and Sharks assured of playoff berths and the Panthers, Sea Eagles and St George Illawarra set to confirm their top-eight positions this weekend, the opening week of the finals will feature the most Sydney teams during the NRL era.

The depleted Cowboys could throw a spanner in the works if they upset Brisbane on Thursday night.

Not surprisingly, NRL officials spent Tuesday trying to pencil in dates and booking stadiums for the harbour city logjam in the opening week of the finals, while also eliminating the prospect of a Sydney double-header.

While still a long way from being set in stone given the machinations that could emerge from this weekend’s results, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the NRL is leaning towards launching the finals series with the Sydney Roosters in a second against third battle against Brisbane at Allianz Stadium on September 8.

The NRL has slated minor premiers Melbourne to play at AAMI Park against their fourth-placed opponents, at this stage Parramatta, in the first of two Saturday fixtures next weekend.

The placement of the Storm on Saturday, as opposed to Friday night, is designed to avoid competing with an AFL blockbuster between Geelong and Richmond at the MCG.

However, the NRL won’t be avoiding the AFL in Sydney, it is hoping to befriend them.

In a deliberate tactic to lure AFL fans who will already be present within the Moore Park precinct after watching the Sydney Swans’ elimination final against Essendon at 4.40pm at the SCG, neighbouring Allianz Stadium is set to fill the NRL’s Saturday 7.40pm timeslot.

Premiers Cronulla, should they remain in fifth position, have been identified by the NRL as the team most likely to play on Saturday night at Allianz.

The location of the remaining elimination final to be played on Sunday September 10 will be determined by who finishes higher on the ladder this weekend.

Should Penrith finish sixth, they would host a seventh-placed clash at ANZ Stadium but if they lose at Brookvale and the Sea Eagles leapfrog them, Manly would host a Sunday afternoon elimination final at Allianz.

Storm chief executive David Donaghy said the minor premiers would welcome the prospect of defending their title favouritism on an AFL-free night in Melbourne.

“If it is to be the first Saturday match, that would suit us fine,’’ Donaghy said.

“Both the AFL matches that day are in Sydney and Adelaide, so like this weekend which is our absolute focus, there is no AFL on in Melbourne and so building a crowd is something we hope to do now and when the finals start.’’

There has never been a six-team Sydney contingent in an eight-team NRL finals series although six made it in 1998 when 10 sides qualified for the post-season. The only other time six sides from Sydney made the finals was in the 1996 ARL competition.

Likely week 1 of the finals (if there are no upsets in round 26)

Friday, September 8
2 Sydney Roosters v 3 Brisbane, Allianz Stadium

Saturday, September 9
1 Melbourne v 4 Parramatta, AAMI Park
5 Cronulla v 8 Penrith, Allianz Stadium

Sunday, September 10
6 Manly v 7 St George Illawarra, Allianz.

Sydney sides in the NRL finals

2016 — 3 (Sharks, Panthers, Bulldogs)

2015 — 5 (Roosters, Bulldogs, Sharks, Rabbitohs, Dragons)

2014 — 4 (Roosters, Manly, Rabbitohs, Panthers, Bulldogs)

2013 — 5 (Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Bulldogs)

2012 — 4 (Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles, Sharks)

2011 — 3 (Sea Eagles, Wests Tigers, Dragons)

2010 — 5 (Dragons, Panthers, Wests Tigers, Roosters, Sea Eagles)

2009 — 4 (Dragons, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles, Eels)

2008 — 4 (Sea Eagles, Sharks, Roosters, Dragons)

2007 — 4 (Sea Eagles, Eels, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs)

2006 — 4 (Bulldogs, Sea Eagles, Dragons, Eels)

2005 — 5 (Eels, Dragons, Tigers, Sharks, Sea Eagles)

2004 — 4 (Roosters, Bulldogs, Panthers, Dragons)

2003 — 3 (Panthers, Roosters, Bulldogs)

2002 — 4 (Roosters, Sharks, Eels, Dragons)

2001 — 5 (Eels, Dogs, Sharks, Roosters, Dragons)

2000 — 4 (Roosters, Panthers, Eels, Sharks)

1999 — 5 (Sharks, Eels, Roosters, Bulldogs, Dragons)

1998 — 6 (Eels, Bears, Roosters, St George, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles in top 10)

1997 (ARL) — 4 (Sea Eagles, Eels, Bears, Roosters in top 7)

1997 (SL) — 3 (Sharks, Panthers, Bulldogs in top 5)

1996 — 6 (Sea Eagles, Bears, Roosters, Sharks, St George, Magpies in top 8)

If that story is correct, then it means -

• No double headers in Week 1 of the finals;
  • If the Roosters finish 2nd, their final will be at the SFS on Friday;
  • Storm to play on Saturday at 6pm;
  • Cronulla and Manly (if they are eligible for home finals) will play out of the SFS in week 1. ANZ will only come into play if either Penrith or Parramatta become eligible for home finals.

(Edited to insert text of article which url had been provided)

Last edited:

shaggs

Coach
Sharks have asked for a Sunday game, since they are the only top 8 team playing this weekend on sunday

Card Shark

Immortal
That's a bit silly imo.

Given that we want to win & move to week 2, that might mean a 5 day turnaround if we get a Friday final.

Saturday be better.

SBD82

Coach
Lol @ people complaining about their team playing at sfs or anz

You've had 12 home games to see your team play @ your suburban ground & you've literally known for years you'll either place ay your home semi at sfs or anz

I don't see the issue?
I don't think you've considered the ineptness of the dragons board and their "right ground right venue" strategy.

Moot point this year though.

Last Week

Bench
Is it fair to assume that the kick off times for next weeks matches will be announced following The Dragons v Bulldogs match?

whall15

Coach
Is it fair to assume that the kick off times for next weeks matches will be announced following The Dragons v Bulldogs match?
Friday

7:30pm Roosters v Broncos @ Allianz

Saturday

3:30pm Storm v Eels @ AAMI

7:00pm Sea Eagles v Panthers @ Allianz

Sunday

3:30pm Sharks v Cowboys @ Allianz

per Channel 9

axl rose

Bench
May as well have had another double header at SFS as some of those games will be lucky to get 15000.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Channel 9 times are for when they broadcast.

Actual kickoffs are 7:50, 4:10, 7:40 and 4:10

azza29

Juniors
Fifth Saturday game in a row for Melbourne, really can't complain about the scheduling going into finals this year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fifth Saturday game in a row for Melbourne, really can't complain about the scheduling going into finals this year.
Well putting it up against Geelong-Hawthorn on Friday would've been stupidity of the highest order...

Latest posts