What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Pass, Borderline Pass or Borderline fail

2017 Pass Borderline Pass or Borderline Fail

• Pass

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Borderline Pass

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Borderline Fail

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Borderline Pass for me.

Horrible start.

Awesome come back.

That Broncos game left me with a really sour taste in my mouth. I can't help but feel it would have been a different story with Moyza on deck for those last few games.

Bring on 2018!!

soc123_au

Staff member
Overall its a fail. The only positive as a team is that they are fit & dont give up. Other than that it has been pretty poor. It's great that we won 14 games and a final, but very few of the wins were convincing. The biggest fail was in the backline to start the season. Not starting with Peachey and Blake in the centres was unforgivable and if I were Gus I would march Griffen back up to Brisbane on that alone. Braindead stupid coaching. It could be argued that Sauce being out forced the change. Maybe for a week or 2 at most and even then it would be dumb. Replace the injured bloke with the next best option without f**king the whole team around.

RCG was the other positive, If it was Griffin that got him to believe in himself and go hard then good on him. Get him playing the ball a bit quicker and he will be a beast.

betcats

Referee
Overall its a fail. The only positive as a team is that they are fit & dont give up. Other than that it has been pretty poor. It's great that we won 14 games and a final, but very few of the wins were convincing. The biggest fail was in the backline to start the season. Not starting with Peachey and Blake in the centres was unforgivable and if I were Gus I would march Griffen back up to Brisbane on that alone. Braindead stupid coaching. It could be argued that Sauce being out forced the change. Maybe for a week or 2 at most and even then it would be dumb. Replace the injured bloke with the next best option without f**king the whole team around.

RCG was the other positive, If it was Griffin that got him to believe in himself and go hard then good on him. Get him playing the ball a bit quicker and he will be a beast.

Summed up perfectly. When you are experimenting with the backline 5,6,7 weeks into the season without giving the two guys finished last year in great form a real go there is something wrong. What is the offseason and the trials for?

I've seen this kind of indecisiveness praised on these forums as good coaching due to a 'willingness to experiment'. I struggle to even express how dumb I find that, this indecisiveness has hurt us since Griffin arrived and I cant see why it will change.

Fangs

Coach
Borderline Fail.

Soft comp made us look far better then we actually are. Glad we finished in the finals but this team was capable of so much more. At no stage did we look like we were going to threaten for the title.

On to 2018.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Expectation and roster at the start of the year. Fail.
Making week 2 of the finals after a being thumped round 1 and a 2 -7 start. Pass
Making week 2 of the finals after several off field distractions and missing our best player. Pass

Overall Borderline Pass. However I am a little annoyed with the finish, and the lack of decent attacking options inside the oppositions 20. It was a problem last year and still has not been rectified.

Frankus

Juniors
Borderline pass. Back to back finals appearances first time in 13 years or so.

Positives- A bunch of young kids used to winning in the 20s and reggies bring a great attitude to the top side.

We failed miserably - We are the most frustrating team to watch inside our opponents 20. I bet we have been tackled there more than any side in the comp.

Fix our attack and we blow sides off the park weekly.

mxlegend99

Referee
Borderline pass. Back to back finals appearances first time in 13 years or so.

Positives- A bunch of young kids used to winning in the 20s and reggies bring a great attitude to the top side.

We failed miserably - We are the most frustrating team to watch inside our opponents 20. I bet we have been tackled there more than any side in the comp.

Fix our attack and we blow sides off the park weekly.
And our defence. Our missed tackle rate is ridiculously shit.

Ohhh. and our discipline. We give away far too many penalties after a rare good defensive set. Or make mistakes early in our tackle count putting ourselves under pressure.

Fix our attack, defence and discipline and we will finally be where we should be. Our attack and defence would improve simply by having a bit of structure and some game plans.

betcats

Referee
And our defence. Our missed tackle rate is ridiculously shit.

Ohhh. and our discipline. We give away far too many penalties after a rare good defensive set. Or make mistakes early in our tackle count putting ourselves under pressure.

Fix our attack, defence and discipline and we will finally be where we should be. Our attack and defence would improve simply by having a bit of structure and some game plans.

He's had five years in the nrl now and his attack sucked for all of them, it didn't get better at Brisbane and it won't hear without a lot of help.

5starcognac

Juniors
Finishing in similar position to last year, I suppose is a pass
but comparing the style of footy played this year to last is a fail for sure imo.
But a massive pass was 1991, 26 years ago TODAY!!! 22/09/1991 What a day, I was at the SFS watching Royce and the boys give us our first title. Anyone else that old??

Panther Pete

Juniors
Finishing in similar position to last year, I suppose is a pass
but comparing the style of footy played this year to last is a fail for sure imo.
But a massive pass was 1991, 26 years ago TODAY!!! 22/09/1991 What a day, I was at the SFS watching Royce and the boys give us our first title. Anyone else that old??
I watched it in Reactor 1 at Panthers and then replayed on video at home about 700 times over the following years, what a day!!!

Panther Pete

Juniors
Haha I still play it, I wore the old VCR copy out had it put on CD, and now I have bought it on CD. Great day wasn't it?
Yep it got to the point I would know what the commentators were about to say for each play I had heard it that many times.

Re this year, I think it's difficult to call it a fail when we made the second week of the finals but I am still of the view we should have performed considerably better with the roster we had. We needed to improve on last years efforts yet we didn't and I think two of the better players to ever pull on a Panthers jersey, Girds and Fittler summed up perfectly last week the reasons for our lack of improvement.

5starcognac

Juniors
Yep it got to the point I would know what the commentators were about to say for each play I had heard it that many times.

Re this year, I think it's difficult to call it a fail when we made the second week of the finals but I am still of the view we should have performed considerably better with the roster we had. We needed to improve on last years efforts yet we didn't and I think two of the better players to ever pull on a Panthers jersey, Girds and Fittler summed up perfectly last week the reasons for our lack of improvement.

Yeah I stir my wife by calling it along with Hughes. Bill Anderson loved the game, he didn't want it to end!

I agree with you on this year, hopefully once the dust settles we can begin looking forward to a big 2018. I still be turning up!!

Yes watched it at home. 2nd half coming out I still remember Brandy's eyes. They had fire in them.

5starcognac

Juniors
Yes watched it at home. 2nd half coming out I still remember Brandy's eyes. They had fire in them.

YEAH he did and the team reflected it too, they blew the Raiders off the park in that 2nd half!! Can still hear Bill Andersons words "they were going to do what ever it took to win" brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it!!

maple_69

Bench
Borderline pass. Just. We didn't win a premiership which is what we were hoping not for and still haven't learnt how to pull apart the best sides but we did learn a few valuable things as a team so as a young team with a bright future, I'll take it.

If the Moylan things is handled by the club we have our long term 1/6/7 sorted. Learned how to play ugly and manufacture wins when we didn't deserve them, We worked through some off field stuff and continued to establish the clubs strong culture and the club continues to breed a success mentality with strong Seasons for 20s and ISP.

If we lose Moylan we go back a few years in my opinion. I don't think May is the answer which leaves a wait and hope for Luai. If we can keep him though I'm hopeful a proper off season with our key guys training together in position and a few tough lessons under the belts from this season will be what's needed to unlock our attacking potential. There are other things for our young squad to work on but looking across our 22 odd core guys and tell me attack isn't where we seperate ourselves from the rest.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
There are other things for our young squad to work on but looking across our 22 odd core guys and tell me attack isn't where we seperate ourselves from the rest.

Not with Griffin it's not. Bloke deadset has no idea when it comes to setting up attacking plays. His entire philosophy seems to be:

1. Hit it up the middle.
2. Quick play the ball.
3. Hit it up the middle.
4. Quick play the ball.
5. Hit it up the middle.
6. Quick play the ball.
7. Oh shit, we are in the opposition 20... um, crash ball to one of the second rowers?
8. That didn't work? Um...Cleary runs it himself on 4th tackle?
9. No? Shit? Okay, throw it around like a hot potato for a while on the last until it gets into the hands of someone who shouldn't really kick and see what they can do.
10. Profit?

franklin2323

Immortal
Borderline Pass for me.

Horrible start.

Awesome come back.

That Broncos game left me with a really sour taste in my mouth. I can't help but feel it would have been a different story with Moyza on deck for those last few games.

Bring on 2018!!

Pass for me too. We matched last year's team without ever really getting out of 3rd gear in any game.

The ordinary year for the young guys will do them well. Show them that they have to put in the work to be good in NRL. Skill gets you results in juniors but NRL takes more

franklin2323

Immortal
Expectation and roster at the start of the year. Fail.
Making week 2 of the finals after a being thumped round 1 and a 2 -7 start. Pass
Making week 2 of the finals after several off field distractions and missing our best player. Pass

Overall Borderline Pass. However I am a little annoyed with the finish, and the lack of decent attacking options inside the oppositions 20. It was a problem last year and still has not been rectified.

Cleary kept doing the same thing in the semi v Broncs. Just one pass behind CHN or a kick we score. To be fair though no May, Moylan. Edwards and Wallace weren't fit so it was just him running our attack. Was the case all year 1 or 2 would go well a game but never as a team

Latest posts