What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 R14 Fri - Sea Eagles 18-14 Knights @ Lottoland

Round 14: Sea Eagles v Knights

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knightmare

Coach
Mate... watch some Knights games... it is every week. Referees assume that the other team is going to win because - it's the Knights they are playing - and they referee accordingly.

That one f**king hurt. It isn't just another game - it's Manly.

We'll always have 1997 though...

Seriously though, here's a list of all the games so far this year where the Knights have been dudded by decisions that either directly cost them the game (like tonight) or played a pivotal role in the direction the game took:

Warriors away
Souths home
Sharks away
Titans home
Bulldogs home
Panthers home
Manly away

While they got the win in that Titans game, it was very much a win in spite of the officiating and not because of it.

Neither am I saying that if the refs were more even handed with the 50/50 calls in all of the listed games that the Knights would have 6 more wins to their name this season. But even if they won just half those games, they'd be above teams like Souths and the Tigers comfortably.

That's the most frustrating part- there are just a couple of wins' difference between the Knights and teams a few places higher up the ladder- but because of these constant rubbish decisions going against them, they stay planted to the foot of the table, below teams who are underperforming (like Souths) or teams who are a legitimate rabble (like the Tigers and the Warriors). In recent seasons I've called the Knights a rabble, but not this season. They may be out-gunned in depth and experience, but f**k me if they don't show more determination and grit than a few other more fancied, publicised teams they legitimately deserve to be looking down on from a higher spot on the ladder. So continues the idea that the team sucks and can't win a game- and so the refs keep it in their mind that the Knights shouldn't be winning- so the vicious cycle continues...

FMD if some of the other clubs had endured the run Newcastle have this season, it'd be front page 'Code in crisis' news every day. If we were the Broncos, there's be a breakaway competition all set to kick off by now for 2018...

Tonight, Uate learned first hand just how loose the definition of 'Try' suddenly becomes when you're no longer wearing red and blue.

If it wasn't for the promise shown by the Blues I'd find it pretty hard to give a f**k about the NRL at all right now...

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Respect to the Knights coach Nathan Brown. He didn't try to blame the refs for the loss tonight, and didn't in the other games they've lost either, some of which they've been quite competitive. He understands the issues his team has with playing out the 80 minutes and the issues with certain players giving up the advantage at critical times. I think he'll take this side up the ladder in years to come if he's retained.

Respect to the Knights coach Nathan Brown. He didn't try to blame the refs for the loss tonight, and didn't in the other games they've lost either, some of which they've been quite competitive. He understands the issues his team has with playing out the 80 minutes and the issues with certain players giving up the advantage at critical times. I think he'll take this side up the ladder in years to come if he's retained.

I just saw it. Staying silent gives him 1000000% respect because it's an utterly terrible on field decision.

Danish

Referee
Just saw the highlights of this game. That Uate decision is one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

The fact that the touchie - who had a PERFECT view - advised Klein to check it but he ignored that and just awarded it should see Klein removed from the 1st grade refereeing squad. He needs to go back to park footy and earn his way back up.

As for why refereeing standards are so low. It began with Finch, became malignent under Harrigan, and has developed into full stage 4 cancer with Archer at the helm. The reason? TIP SHEETS.

Finch and Harrigan were firm believers in doing "homework" on sides, and giving referees tip sheets on what players commit the most penalties, what teams are likely to be offside, and all sorts of other garbage. They even introduced group video review sessions and Harrigan himself admitted to making notes in these sessions when X player "got one over on him" so he could make sure it didn't happen next time.

They would then use these tips sheets to make "informed guesses" when awarding penalties. As in, if the ball popped out in a tackle, and despite not seeing a strip the tackler was a player "known" for stripping, the rule was to blow a penalty.

This all came out on the radio after a Roosters vs Manly game years ago, I believe in 2013 after JWH got sent off but we managed to hold on for the win. The feeling was that JWH got sent on reputation, and Harrigan agreed that was the case.... but DEFENDED the practice as being the right call. Sterlo's jaw his the floor, and he pressed him for more info then all the crap on "doing homework" came out. I'll try to dig up the audio of it if I can.

They need to take a broom through the entire NRL refereeing department, and then ask the QRL and NSWRL to supply a new batch of referees from their stock to take the top jobs each week until a new crop is formed. I also simply dissolve Archer's position. There is no reason for him to be employed that I can think of (making random 30 second twitter videos explaining why refereeing blunders were actually correct aside)

oval

Juniors
Well deserved win for the mighty Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. Sure that try was bullshiz but it was a wet wet night, and things were happening so fast. Reminds me of some fast wet nights covered in muff spritz when it's a confusing mess and sometimes a crevice gets crammed and the touchy can't see shiz cos the spritz is sideways and fat.

Danish

Referee
Pathetic.

Who is this unnamed "senior reviewer" he is referring to, and why does his word somehow mean that a touch judge should be ignored?

justdave

Juniors
It was a very shit call no doubt but to say the Knights lost because of it is somewhat drawing a long bow.

Bad luck Knights fans, as someone said early, if you can jag a couple of decent signings you'll come good.

Also, you got sympathy from skeepe, so I can understand why you're feeling a bit dirty

Frederick

Staff member
It was a very shit call no doubt but to say the Knights lost because of it is somewhat drawing a long bow.
The final margin was 4 points. You were gifted six that you weren't entitled to. Not a long bow at all...

justdave

Juniors
You were gifted a penalty after a 40/21.5. So what? you were gifted a bunch of even ups to keep you in the game.

Anyway, best of luck next time

Drunk Hannibal

Juniors
Archer already deflecting blame away from Klein........

Archer seems to have identified a more serious issue, that being the video referee (in this case Jarod Maxwell) has for some reason intervened to overrule any onfield decision without the matter actually being referred to him.

I think we'll find that this is actually not an uncommon occurrence, and that the NRL have consistently been making video referee assisted decisions on tries without directly referring to them, and I'd suspect it's been done deliberately to reduce the overall number of referrals.