What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 R16 Sat - Roosters 25-24* Storm @ Adelaide Oval

Round 16: Roosters v Storm

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2017 - Round 16
Sydney Roosters v Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (TICKETS)
Saturday 24 June 2017

(AEST, add 30 min for local) Gates 5:30pm / NRL 7:30pm

SYD-17teamlist.jpg

1. Michael Gordon 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Latrell Mitchell 4. Joseph Manu 5. Blake Ferguson 6. Luke Keary 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Jake Friend 10. Dylan Napa 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Mitchell Aubusson 13. Sio Siua Taukeiaho
Interchange: 14. Isaac Liu 15. Aidan Guerra 16. Ryan Matterson 17. Connor Watson 18. Zane Tetevano 19. Mitchell Cornish 20. Nat Butcher 21. Chris Smith

MEL-17teamlist.jpg

1. Billy Slater 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. William Chambers 4. Young Tonumaipea 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith 10. Tim Glasby 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Tohu Harris 13. Dale Finucane
Interchange: 14. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 15. Kenneath Bromwich 16. Curtis Scott 17. Mark Nicholls 18. Slade Griffin 19. Brodie Croft 20. Brandon Smith 21. Dean Britt

LU_TeamPanel_REF-Yellow.jpg

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Phil Henderson
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Ben Galea

NYC - Sat 3pm at Morry Breen Oval, Kanwal NSW

ISP (Roosters) - Wyong have a BYE

ISC (Storm) - Falcons away to Wynnum (Broncos) at BMD Kougari, Sat 6pm
Easts away to Capras (Titans) at Browne Park, Sat 6pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Doesnt take much foresight to figure out that it's not a good game to schedule right after origin. The two strongest clubs of the last few years. It's not really like lotto at all when you think about it.
Probably the reason they took it to Adelaide Oval, I'd imagine.

adamkungl

Immortal
While maybe not a great game for the Origin period competition-wise, days after Origin 2 IS the perfect time to take a game to expansion markets. One of the few times a year where NRL might crack the news cycle in Adelaide.

Anyone else flying down? I've never been to Adelaide, should be a good trip.

Pearce and Cordner v Slater, Smith and Cronk twice in 4 days..

Valheru

Coach
Yeah I am flying down.

As for the timing this is one of 2 or 3 weekends during the year with no AFL game at the ground, the AFL game this week being played on Thursday night.

TheFrog

Coach
Doesnt take much foresight to figure out that it's not a good game to schedule right after origin. The two strongest clubs of the last few years. It's not really like lotto at all when you think about it.
Roosters came 15th last year. You start sifting through teams that might go allright next year when you are devising the draw in October-November, it would become a nightmare.

I do note both these clubs were happy to have their players selected for their states, it increases their salary without it appearing in the cap, you see. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

TheFrog

Coach
Everyone man and their dog knew the Roosters were gonna be competitive this year & last year was a write off with their horrid injury run and pearcey being a naughty boy
This may be so, but refer my second point. Roosters fans were vocal in their support for as many of their players as possible to be selected in Origin. Do they really think they should have been allowed an easy game , like Newcastle, for this weekend? What if they lost to them? There are only so many easy games you can give teams with Origin players. They are better off playing a game they probably would have lost anyway.

If anyone has a gripe, its the Cowboys. They have to play a full strength team in good form and no Origin players with players backing up.

Danish

Referee
Season starts this week for us. Had a pretty easy draw up till now, and it starts getting very tough from here on out.

Facing off against the storm coming off the back of the big 3 losing only their 2nd series in a decade is going to be a tough ask...

Meapro Ham

Juniors
This may be so, but refer my second point. Roosters fans were vocal in their support for as many of their players as possible to be selected in Origin. Do they really think they should have been allowed an easy game , like Newcastle, for this weekend? What if they lost to them? There are only so many easy games you can give teams with Origin players. They are better off playing a game they probably would have lost anyway.

If anyone has a gripe, its the Cowboys. They have to play a full strength team in good form and no Origin players with players backing up.

It's not really about who should get an easy game. It's that you have what should be one of the games of the year affected by players backing up or being rested from Origin. Not how it should be. It highlights the need to find a better solution to scheduling around origin.

adamkungl

Immortal
Origin should be 3 standalone games played on a Sunday night.

Players go into camp on the preceding Monday and miss no NRL games.
The NRL season is reduced to 22 premiership matches.

The Origin weekends also feature Pacific Cup 4N matches and NZ test matches to give a total of 4 games for each weekend.

Valheru

Coach

I'm not sure any roosters fan is actually complaining?

We played Brisbane after origin 1 without our HB and no one complained. What people are saying is it is a shame marquee matches like this have to be played during the origin season where there is a risk the best players won't be available. I agree with you in that you can't predict what the marquee games will be and you can't doctor the draw to give 'easy games' to teams who are projected to have origin players which is further justification for the 3 x standalone weekends for origin idea.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Will be easier to predict on the day when you know exactly who is playing. Adelaide is no home advantage for either team, making it even harder to tip.

This Year?

Immortal
The boundary is short and with no drop in pitch I'm gonna pick the Roosters in a see-sawing affair. Joey's pants will be sore after seeing Latrell Mitchell and Rabs will by wiping the Storm drops off his wrinkly senile chin.

STORM.99/07

Bench
While maybe not a great game for the Origin period competition-wise, days after Origin 2 IS the perfect time to take a game to expansion markets. One of the few times a year where NRL might crack the news cycle in Adelaide.

Anyone else flying down? I've never been to Adelaide, should be a good trip.

Pearce and Cordner v Slater, Smith and Cronk twice in 4 days..
good to see chook supporters making the trip to sadelaide for the game.

MKCS

Juniors
If each team has all their Origin players back up and all the players are healthy and ready to play it'll be a cracking game which really could go either way.

If key players are missing obviously that changes things. Melbourne without Cronk wouldn't beat the Roosters but a Sydney Roosters team without Pearce would probably lose by 12+ to Melbourne.