What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 R2 - Roosters 28-24 Bulldogs @ Allianz

Round 2: Roosters v Bulldogs

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lambretta

First Grade
What one was that?

Roosters v Dogs
Both teams were huge and the ground was packed
Some Roosters fans were baiting Dogs fans verbally and they retaliated with fists and then it all kicked off
Quite a few were ejected from both clubs

some11

Referee
Roosters were great with ball in hand, the Dogs had to rely on a prop forward to lay on a skillful try assist.

Roosters fix up their defence and they are right up there this year.

Big Pete

Referee
Impressive performance from the Roosters. Of all the 16 teams we've seen so far, they've shown tremendous upside and should be there come September.

While the halves and backs are receiving plenty of plaudits, I'd like to give credit to Tetevano. Depth is a really underrated aspect of the game, so to have a player like Zane step up and make himself noticed speaks volumes for the morale at the club. With Wyong coming off a huge win against the Tigers and their NYC side 2/2 there's plenty to like.

As for Canterbury, they've shown plenty of heart but they just don't have that extra gear to go with teams like Melbourne or Sydney. Next week shapes up as a good litmus test for them. If they fail to beat the Warriors, it will officially be their worst start since 1996, where they were 0-4 including a loss by forfeit in Round 1.

The big issue with Canterbury is that they don't have the right cattle. Eastwood has been a really good clubmen for the Dogs, but he isn't an edge forward and the Bulldogs need to find somebody more suitable for the role. They also need to find a solution in the halves and dummy half position. Lichaa's struggling at dummy half and lacks the execution and vision needed to get the Bulldogs rolling forward. Even if Des just selects an alternate on the bench, surely it'd be better than the current situation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Plenty of Dogs fans will just roll their eyes because there's an L in the result column... but I was happy with what I saw tonight for the most part. 5 tries apiece separated only by Mbye's wayward goalkicking, capitalising on errors and pushing a quality outfit to the final minute despite losing a winger in the first 20 and fullback in the last 20, forcing repeated reshuffles and trimming our playing stocks down to 14 at one point.

The Roosters were definitely the better side for mine, and we have a few issues (Mbye really isn't cutting it) but I saw enough to know we are capable of delivering more than just a bottom four finish this season.

Meth

Staff member
I've said it before and I know I'm not the only one- I have no idea why Josh Jackson is rated as highly as he is.

Very impressive from Tetevano.

_Johnsy

Referee
Roosters v Dogs
Both teams were huge and the ground was packed
Some Roosters fans were baiting Dogs fans verbally and they retaliated with fists and then it all kicked off
Quite a few were ejected from both clubs
What, there was a fight and the scum dogs fans threw the first punches, say it ain't so.

Grapple

Bench
We are a team of wet firewood, so any spark we might have from Reynolds or the Morris boys or a Kasiano offload is just not enough. We simply are not creative enough when it comes down to it, and only score on the back of turnovers or continued possession and repeat sets. Good teams that control the ball with discipline will walk all over us, as evidenced by Roosters at times last night.

Lichaa has to be the most boring hooker in the game. Does absolutely nothing but tackle and pass, and in these days that's just simply not enough.

kbw

Bench
The defence of the Dogs especially in the first 20 was terrific. Despite the result they shut down a lot of the Roosters attack. Latrell Mitchell was ineffective for most of the game and they highlighted so real issues he has positionally in defence.

I think the difference is that the Roosters have so much to improve on, if they get some form of consistency they will be a genuine threat. The Doggies I am not sure will improve that much.

adamkungl

Immortal
We looked blistering in attack at times - but are still playing impatient footy. Too many pushed passes where there was no need and nothing on, we literally handed the Dogs 3 tries. They did well to take advantage of our mistakes but really we should have won that game by a lot more, rather than being in a position to lose it if Mbye could kick.

That all said, I'm excited that Robbo has them playing an exciting brand of attacking football. Fans seem happy, 13k on a Thursday is encouraging so hopefully a good year coming up on and off the field.

God-King Dean

Immortal
If Roosters hold onto the ball (& SKD isn't born), Bulldogs don't score a point.

Those taking positives out of the Dogs performance must have been watching another game.

It reminded me of a when a big brother let's his smaller little brother score a few tries in backyard footy, to make him feel better. 'Yaaaay, I'm really good, aren't I big brother?!' 'You sure are little Timmy!'

And then the parents look at little Timmy 'god bless him... he lacks self awareness that he's a complete genius. It's adorable.'

Headless Chook

Juniors
I thought Adam Elliott was huge for the Doggies. Amazing what happened when SuperCoach Hasler decided to finally use him.