What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC FINAL - AUS 6-0 ENG @ Brisbane

Result: 2017 RLWC Final

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raiderdave

First Grade
Do you really need an explanation or were you hoping for a list of specific candidates ? You get neither.

If Rugby League aspires to be a World Game then it needs start behaving like one and use Neutral Referees the same as Soccer, Union, Cricket etc. instead of letting Australia call all the shots.
And anyone who thinks Aussie refs are the best might like to explain why they need 2 on the field and why they make so many bad calls, every week and in nearly every game and even when the calls are dissected for 10 minutes by a video ref, still get it wrong. I watched this years Club Challenge games in the UK, lovely to watch, one ref, mostly free flowing, minimum errors, minimum controversy.

Any Tongans in tonight ?

Australian referees are better quite obviously because they are picked by a panel who know a bit about refereeing , including english referees to officiate these games.
We have 2 refs because the NRL is very fast & ruck dominance is measured in milimetres , much faster then the ESL & rucks there are still sloppy & lax this being why our clubs are superior to ESL ones

back to neutral referees

we have none of any quality capable of refereeing a game of last nights importance
end of .....
Gerard Sutton did very well last night
fair , impartial
missed a few calls either way but was good , he was absolutely not the reason the poms lost last night
it was their inability to build pressure on the kangaroos defence , & lack of composure
thats on them.
They were as good in defence as ive seen them in 25 years last night the English
but have lost a bit with the ball in hand. Bennett is the guy that can fix that & when he does , & with no Cronk , Smith or Slater for the next time we play in 2019
Then the Lions will start to beat the Kangaroos regularly again.

kit66

Bench
Right, so we both have nothing.

Cheers for your contribution to this thread.

No....I've got a sensible argument and you have a few pointless one liners and a pretty wankerish air of superiority. So feck off.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why does the ref have to be Australian and ref'd in the NRL style to suite Australia? Why can it not be ref'd in a Super League style?

Also when Australia play France as an example why do the French have to play to an NRL style and not something they are use to?

Australia have every advantage stacked in their favour....why? They certainly don't need it. Let's help the others instead of Australia all the time.

The best test series I have ever seen was the Australia v Gt Britain 1990 and NZ v Australia 1985 series and all these games were done by French referees.

beave

Coach
No....I've got a sensible argument and you have a few pointless one liners and a pretty wankerish air of superiority. So feck off.

So you definetley have nothing.

If anyone needs to ‘feck off’ it’s you so you can go and scour the vast Rugby League fields and comps of Argentina and Croatia to find these neutral refs you so dearly crave.

A mixed quantity of competent neutral refs of an international standard don’t seem to exist at the moment. Until other countries domestic comps get up to the UK SL and Oz NRL standards then we have to make do with what we have. How did that neutral ref fare last weekend in the Tonga/England game? Oh that’s right, him and his family got death threats after he made a correct onfield call that the Tongan fans couldn’t graciously accept.

The reffing was not the reason England lost last night. Boneheaded shit on the 2nd/3rd/last, Burgiis being Burgiis and injuries to a few key players the week before, all contributed majorly to the end result. Neutral ref or not.

beave

Coach
Why does the ref have to be Australian and ref'd in the NRL style to suite Australia? Why can it not be ref'd in a Super League style?

Also when Australia play France as an example why do the French have to play to an NRL style and not something they are use to?

Australia have every advantage stacked in their favour....why? They certainly don't need it. Let's help the others instead of Australia all the time.

The best test series I have ever seen was the Australia v Gt Britain 1990 and NZ v Australia 1985 series and all these games were done by French referees.

Are there any French refs in the UK SL? If so, they should have been brought out for the comp.

kit66

Bench
Australian referees are better quite obviously because they are picked by a panel who know a bit about refereeing , including english referees to officiate these games.
We have 2 refs because the NRL is very fast & ruck dominance is measured in milimetres , much faster then the ESL & rucks there are still sloppy & lax this being why our clubs are superior to ESL ones

back to neutral referees

we have none of any quality capable of refereeing a game of last nights importance
end of .....
Gerard Sutton did very well last night
fair , impartial
missed a few calls either way but was good , he was absolutely not the reason the poms lost last night
it was their inability to build pressure on the kangaroos defence , & lack of composure
thats on them.
They were as good in defence as ive seen them in 25 years last night the English
but have lost a bit with the ball in hand. Bennett is the guy that can fix that & when he does , & with no Cronk , Smith or Slater for the next time we play in 2019
Then the Lions will start to beat the Kangaroos regularly again.

Nice reply. You make some good and obvious points but you're subscribing to a point of view that leads to a situation like the America's Cup farce where the US thought they were the best and only option to run the show - for about 50 years or more. At some point, Rugby League needs to adopt a world view if it aspires to become truly international. I'll concede that maybe this year was too soon but you'd hope that by the next World Cup we could have some things in place, training of officials and maybe some rule changes to take us forward, make the playing field truly level.
Things aren't that great either when Sutton is declared the best ref in the world. Improvements can be made.

beave

Coach
Correct and we should bring more young kiwi refs over here

How many young kiwis are prepared to uproot and move to one of the most expensive cities in the world on a somewhat whim of a promise of a reffing contract? The NRL onfield refs are based in Sydney, many would
probably be not prepared to move there because of the cost and risk. And I completley understand that. It sucks but thats the realities of the situation. You put a young kiwi guy into the NRL ref system and some will find ways to whinge about him in international games because he has been ‘tainted by our filthy ways’........ haters goner hate.

The NRL tried thinking outside the box with ex-players being fast tracked as refs, look how that turned out. Patten in the bunker has been like a f**king roulette table of rule interpratations and Perenara is one of the most disliked refs by fans and players. I don’t have the answers to this but having a sook about an Oz ref reffing that game last night whilst somewhat a valid whinge, is utterly pointless until our games domestic comps around the world get to a higher standard to get the refs up to scratch.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Nice reply. You make some good and obvious points but you're subscribing to a point of view that leads to a situation like the America's Cup farce where the US thought they were the best and only option to run the show - for about 50 years or more. At some point, Rugby League needs to adopt a world view if it aspires to become truly international. I'll concede that maybe this year was too soon but you'd hope that by the next World Cup we could have some things in place, training of officials and maybe some rule changes to take us forward, make the playing field truly level.
Things aren't that great either when Sutton is declared the best ref in the world. Improvements can be made.

agreed
its an area we can improve as a code , but its not easily implemented. The English need to get more French boys interested in officiating
The Australians more kiwis & PNGers , PI's over here
the pool is shallow , & needs to be deepend. But IDK how we do it effectively

How many young kiwis are prepared to uproot and move to one of the most expensive cities in the world on a somewhat whim of a promise of a reffing contract? The NRL onfield refs are based in Sydney, many would
probably be not prepared to move there because of the cost and risk. And I completley understand that. It sucks but thats the realities of the situation. You put a young kiwi guy into the NRL ref system and some will find ways to whinge about him in international games because he has been ‘tainted by our filthy ways’........ haters goner hate.

The NRL tried thinking outside the box with ex-players being fast tracked as refs, look how that turned out. Patten in the bunker has been like a f**king roulette table of rule interpratations and Perenara is one of the most disliked refs by fans and players. I don’t have the answers to this but having a sook about an Oz ref reffing that game last night whilst somewhat a valid whinge, is utterly pointless until our games domestic comps around the world get to a higher standard to get the refs up to scratch.
Not sure, but i still hear a lot of early to mid twenty kiwis talking when I'm out and about.

Raiderdave

First Grade

yeah its a pickle
but something we shouldn't abandon because its hard , if we are going to bring legitimacy to the game at the international level we have to look at it seriously & to be honest , should have at around the same time the game went fully professional 20 years ago.

T-Boon

Coach
The final itself was exciting in the sense of the theatre that an important sporting event brings, especially when it is close.
That said, I kind of hope that only existing and passionate league fans were watching because that brand of RL that the Kangaroos play is an atrocity. The only thing that can be said of it is that is how you win Rugby League games under the existing rules. It is sad to say we are actually more boring at league than England are. That is saying a lot because England is the boss of boring sport.
We need one of the minnows to come along and do for League what the West Indies did for test cricket or what Brazil did for soccer. Play the game like it is fun.

MilkShark

First Grade
The refs and the rules played no part in that game. You could have given Australia only 4 tackles a set and they still would have won.

ed-grimley

Bench
What's with Gagai? He spent a lot of time in the middle getting in the way of any attack by the Australian backs.
Cronk put up a number of kicks for him specifically and got nowhere near any of them.
Luckiest player in the NRL.

Latest posts