What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - SF1 - AUS 54-6 FIJ @ Brisbane

Semi Final Result: AUS v FIJ

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

TL-AUS18.png

1. Billy Slater 2. Dane Gagai 3. Will Chambers 4. Josh Dugan 5. Valentine Holmes
6. Michael Morgan 7. Cooper Cronk
8. Aaron Woods 9. Cameron Smith 10. David Klemmer 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Matt Gillett 13. Josh McGuire

Interchange: 14. Wade Graham 15. Jordan McLean 16. Regan Campbell-Gillard 17. Tyson Frizell
18. Felise Kaufusi 19. Tom Trbojevic 20. Josh Mansour 21. James Maloney

TL-FIJ18.png

1. Kevin Naiqama 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. Taane Milne 4. Akuila Uate 5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Jarryd Hayne 7. Henry Raiwalui
8. Ashton Sims 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. Eloni Vunakece 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Brayden Wiliame 13. Tui Kamikamica

Interchange: 14. Joe Lovodua 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Junior Roqica 17. Ben Nakubuwai
18. James Storer 19. Salesi Faingaa 20. Sitiveni Moceidreke 21. Pio Sokobalavu

Match Officials
Referees: Gerard Sutton
Sideline Officials: Michael Wise, Chris Kendall
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton​

Burns

First Grade
This time last week I thought we would finally have a World Cup in which Australia didn't play Fiji in the Semi-Final, yet here we are.

Australia destroyed Fiji in 2008 and 2013. I really can't see why it would be different now. Maybe they will keep it 30-0?

Clifferd

Coach
And this is where the fairy tale ends for Fiji.

Aus to stay in cruise control and win 40-4. Really can’t see anyone except England troubling Australia, and even they would have to play almost perfect to beat us

expansionist

Juniors
well.... man oh man I would love to see Fiji win.

Im struggling to think how theyre going to do it though.

Here are my reasons for a Fiji win:

1. Australia havent played any quality opposition since England. Theyve mucked around with line ups. Maybe they dont gel?
2. Everybody has an occasional off day? Maybe the Aussies is this friday.
3. Regardless of what people say about NZ, the fact is that Fiji did their homework on NZ and played to it. They worked out how to shut down their forwards, they scrambled well. Maybe this week theyve found some ideas to try to combat Australia?
4. Suliasi Vunivalu... you could count on one hand the number of times he touched the ball against NZ - they tried to keep him out of it, and ignored his wing in any kick.. maybe this week Suliasi cuts lose?
5. Hayne (im not a hater) didnt have a wonderful game by my reckoning against NZ.. he probed and looked like he was in 3rd gear. Maybe commeth the hour commeth the man?

Oh god please there isnt much i wouldnt do to let Fiji win

Rory

Juniors
well.... man oh man I would love to see Fiji win.

Im struggling to think how theyre going to do it though.

Here are my reasons for a Fiji win:

1. Australia havent played any quality opposition since England. Theyve mucked around with line ups. Maybe they dont gel?
2. Everybody has an occasional off day? Maybe the Aussies is this friday.
3. Regardless of what people say about NZ, the fact is that Fiji did their homework on NZ and played to it. They worked out how to shut down their forwards, they scrambled well. Maybe this week theyve found some ideas to try to combat Australia?
4. Suliasi Vunivalu... you could count on one hand the number of times he touched the ball against NZ - they tried to keep him out of it, and ignored his wing in any kick.. maybe this week Suliasi cuts lose?
5. Hayne (im not a hater) didnt have a wonderful game by my reckoning against NZ.. he probed and looked like he was in 3rd gear. Maybe commeth the hour commeth the man?

Oh god please there isnt much i wouldnt do to let Fiji win

Aussies havent had an off day since 2014. But their Suncorp history isnt good.

Billythekid

First Grade
The only thing that gives me any hope that Australia won't thrash Fiji is that they had to play in fairly difficult conditions in Darwin last week. Despite that I don't think it'll have any impact whatsoever and Australia will walk it in.

I don't think Australia is unbeatable but unlike England and NZ I think they're far less vulnerable to lower tier nations.

hutch

First Grade
I just want a good game. The last two semis against Fiji have been absolute mismatches and like most of the Aussie games in this World Cup very deflating with not much going on in the crowd.

ed-grimley

Bench
I just want a good game. The last two semis against Fiji have been absolute mismatches and like most of the Aussie games in this World Cup very deflating with not much going on in the crowd.
I reckon the crowd will go off if the match is at least competitive.

grouch

First Grade
Been like that all tournament. He seems to think the number 6 on his back means he's strictly a passer...he only runs the ball when there's no other option. It's worked out ok against the weaker countries but against NZ it was ineffective. he's really got to step up, run the ball a bit more and straighten the attack. I think he does have the makings of a good five-eighth if he can get that balance right