What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Roster: Gains & Losses

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I've noticed Rene Ranger from the Blues isn't being used too often. They should chase him. The guys probably as powerful as Jonah, I see Ranger as a Wiki.

Scott

Bench
I don't know. I think we should just ignore all superstar signings and just get a f**ken team together. A unified one at that. Players that are up and coming or under-valued. Moneyball this shit club. No more preseason hype with superstars. I want hungry players with no egos. Take Hasler too piss off Mr Ya Know

100%. It's about value for money.

Superstar signings Hoffman, Luke, RTS, Sam Tomkins & even Foran have not worked. I'd argue that nobody on that list has added anything. None of them have been anywhere near value for money.

Without knowing how much Blake Ayshford is on, i'd say we have got good value out of him. Solid first grader who (most of the time) does his job. Similar to John Carlaw, Micheal Luck, Jason Death, George Gatis, Kevin Campion, Justin Murphy.... the list goes on.

These are the sorts of players we need to be focusing on.

BLN2

Juniors
Yup, with Lilly-man out of favour with Kearney, and getting offers from the rosters, we'll need at least 2 or 3 experienced props to come in next season, plus an up and comer.

I'd say even if bull stays we'll need 2.

I hope we don't have to settle for bodene next year, or at least get a second rower who can take the starting spot of him. Squad competition has been non existent this season, SK hasn't had many options to be fair.

Yup, with Lilly-man out of favour with Kearney, and getting offers from the rosters, we'll need at least 2 or 3 experienced props to come in next season, plus an up and comer.

I'd say even if bull stays we'll need 2.

I hope we don't have to settle for bodene next year, or at least get a second rower who can take the starting spot of him. Squad competition has been non existent this season, SK hasn't had many options to be fair.

We should just wait until next year. This guessing or hoping BS is what makes the media hump on anything that is possible. We wont be getting anybody special for next year. We have to rely on what there is out there here in NZ. We need to start fresh and be smarter with our recruiting.

Lets Moneyball this team. Get people in the outfit whom can be moulded into our new breed, systems and make the Jersey have some pride.

Big names don't mean shit if our core is rotten. We got a few rotten eggs in all levels within this club.

Man what a mess we are

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We should just wait until next year. This guessing or hoping BS is what makes the media hump on anything that is possible. We wont be getting anybody special for next year. We have to rely on what there is out there here in NZ. We need to start fresh and be smarter with our recruiting.

Lets Moneyball this team. Get people in the outfit whom can be moulded into our new breed, systems and make the Jersey have some pride.

Big names don't mean shit if our core is rotten. We got a few rotten eggs in all levels within this club.

Man what a mess we are
If you cast your mind back to the 2001-02 season where the team was made up of newbies. You had NZ grown Monty Betham, Henry Faafili, Francis Meli, Clinton Toopi and Iafeta Paleasina whom were virtual nobodies at the time but fitted right in. The only big names we had was Stacey Jones and Kevin Campion. Those black and grey Warriors that no-one new what to make of, quietly went about their work to eventually feature in the final.

If you cast your mind back to the 2001-02 season where the team was made up of newbies. You had NZ grown Monty Betham, Henry Faafili, Francis Meli, Clinton Toopi and Iafeta Paleasina whom were virtual nobodies at the time but fitted right in. The only big names we had was Stacey Jones and Kevin Campion. Those black and grey Warriors that no-one new what to make of, quietly went about their work to eventually feature in the final.

Funny you mentioned those players above. Last night I came across a Raiders v Warriors Round 20 match (We lost in the last minutes) Watching those players though you could honestly feel confident that they had their eye on the prize. In that loss all the players showed how much it meant to them to lose such a close game. No smiles just pure heartbreak. (We smashed the Green Machine in the finals a few weeks later, I was there)

I can honestly say without the ego or pride in the way. We have none of that pride anymore. They say the right things in the media. But that's where it ends. They talk well (Mainly Johnson, Mannering, Hoffman) and that's it. That 2001-2003 Era had no fear. They played and dominated teams with Fun.

Fun Culture not Bro Culture.

You see if our boys start playing with a bit of fun they find ways to make even the staunchest Rugby Union fan talk about Rugby League.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Funny you mentioned those players above. Last night I came across a Raiders v Warriors Round 20 match (We lost in the last minutes) Watching those players though you could honestly feel confident that they had their eye on the prize. In that loss all the players showed how much it meant to them to lose such a close game. No smiles just pure heartbreak. (We smashed the Green Machine in the finals a few weeks later, I was there)

I can honestly say without the ego or pride in the way. We have none of that pride anymore. They say the right things in the media. But that's where it ends. They talk well (Mainly Johnson, Mannering, Hoffman) and that's it. That 2001-2003 Era had no fear. They played and dominated teams with Fun.

Fun Culture not Bro Culture.

You see if our boys start playing with a bit of fun they find ways to make even the staunchest Rugby Union fan talk about Rugby League.
It kind of looks like that maybe what is missing right now, is having fun. The boys have definitely NOT been fun to watch for most of this year. We seem to be on the back foot a lot so its hard to 'get jiggy' at anytime and that might be restricting a lot of our players style. Kind of like Benjis role for the Dragons where they took away the good in Benji and the Dragons slumped. The one time we were up and good to watch this year was that crazy 30 point lead we blew against the Panthers. We were suppose to come out at half time in that game and have fun but what came out was the 'nek minnet' losers.

BLN2

Juniors
Things which took place 16 years ago, sorry to say, simply don't apply anymore. It takes seasons of NRL for players bodies to adapt now, except for gems who seem to take to it naturally after a season maybe. A 100kg prop was big back then, so our Polynesian boys naturally were giants.

The Knights are doing this though, starting from scratch. Has taken 2/3 wooden spoons and a tonne of signings to even look like becoming a competitive side again.

I'm going off track.. The core is rotten, getting rid of our entire forward pack is a good start considering they've been consistently average or below. We need more from the pat sipleys, satae chickens, vetes and lisones next year, will be good to see how SK develops them in his first real off season.

One Warrior

Bench
Below is the current squad as it stands, as soon as September rolls around and the finals start I will refresh ready for the new season, as that is all we have to look forward to, besides perhaps a new owner and hopefully some more signings. I haven't yet put in Vete's & Roache's new contracts, waiting until club makes it official, they probably intend to do it all at once, Charlie Gubb is in the losses after yesterday's interview.

Current Squad/year contract expires

Ata Hingano 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
Etene Nanai 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Blake Ayshford 2019
Charnze Nicole-Klokstad 2019
Mason Lino 2019
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Isaac luke 2018
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2018 - Captain 2018
Simon Mannering 2018 - Vice Captain 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
Donovan Briggs 2018
Jacob Lillyman 2017
Ryan Hoffman 2017
Matt Allwood 2017
Bodene Thompson 2017
Ben Matulino 2017
Toafofoa Sipley 2017
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Charlie Gubb 2017
Jordan Pinnock 2017
Matthew Sauni 2017
Tevin Arona 2017
Sam Cook 2017
Chris Satae 2017
Bureta Faraimo 2017

Losses

Ben Henry - (Retired)
Konrad Hurrell (Titans)
Thomas Leuluai - ( Wigan Warriors)
Jonathan Wright - (Manly)
Jeff Robson (Eels)
Shaun Lane - (Manly)
Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Bulldogs)
Henare Wells (No current contract)
Marata Niukore - (Eels)
Sione Lousi - (Townsville Blackhawks)
John Palavi - (Limoux Grizzlies)
Upu Poching - (No current contract)
Tui Lolohea - (West Tigers)
Erin Clark - (Canberra Raiders)

Gains
Kieran Foran 2017 (Cleared to play Round 3 15/2/17)
Jordan Pinnock 2017 (Knights)
Matthew Sauni 2017 (Canterbury Bulls)
Tevin Arona 2017 (Hornby Panthers)
Chris Satae 2017 (Pt Chevalier Pirates)
Zac Santo 2018 (Canberra Raiders)
Manaia Cherrington 2018 (Cronulla Sharks)
Donovan Briggs 2018 (Cronulla Sharks)
Bureta Faraimo 2017 (Paramatta Eels)

Gains for 2018

Tohu Harris 2021
Leivaha Pulu 2020

Losses for 2018

Ryan Hoffman
Ben Matulino (West Tigers)
Kieran Foran (Bulldogs)
Toafofoa Sipley (Manly)
Manu Vatuvei (Salford Red Devils)
Charlie Gubb

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Right. I've had a crack at guessing who might be in the First Grade Squad next year. By my guess we have a possible 5 spots open. And given we look light on forwards, I'm hoping 3 or 4 arrive to fill some of those.

Most Likely First Grade Squad

Tohu Harris 2021
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Ata Hingano 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Blake Ayshford 2019
Mason Lino 2019
Isaac luke 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Chris Satae 2017

25 Players of Maximum 30

Possible First Grade Squad but not Re Signed Yet

Jacob Lillyman 2017
Bodene Thompson 2017

Fringe First Grade Squad Possibilities

Etene Nanai 2019
Junior Pauga 2018
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Donovan Briggs 2018
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Jordan Pinnock 2017
Matthew Sauni 2017
Tevin Arona 2017

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Right. I've had a crack at guessing who might be in the First Grade Squad next year. By my guess we have a possible 5 spots open. And given we look light on forwards, I'm hoping 3 or 4 arrive to fill some of those.

Most Likely First Grade Squad

Tohu Harris 2021
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Ata Hingano 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Blake Ayshford 2019
Mason Lino 2019
Isaac luke 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
Albert Vete 2017
Nathaniel Roache 2017
Chris Satae 2017

25 Players of Maximum 30

Possible First Grade Squad but not Re Signed Yet

Jacob Lillyman 2017

Fringe First Grade Squad Possibilities

Etene Nanai 2019
Junior Pauga 2018
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Donovan Briggs 2018
Ofahiki Ogden 2017
Jordan Pinnock 2017
Matthew Sauni 2017
Tevin Arona 2017

Hi Cold Roses just home from work, that would be basically what I would of put up, not sure on whether Satae is signed up for next year, I know Vete is until 2019 and Roache 2018, which I will update when the club confirms. Lillyman & Thompson maybe here next year depending signings go and maybe a fringe player or two, also possible that someone like Santo may not be in the top 30, hopefully we get a few more decent signings.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Hi Cold Roses just home from work, that would be basically what I would of put up, not sure on whether Satae is signed up for next year, I know Vete is until 2019 and Roache 2018, which I will update when the club confirms. Lillyman & Thompson maybe here next year depending signings go and maybe a fringe player or two, also possible that someone like Santo may not be in the top 30, hopefully we get a few more decent signings.

Bodene. I knew I was forgetting someone, but I must have cut him out of the list without realising. (Wishful thinking?)

I've edited the post and put him with Lillyman.

With Satae I'm just sort of expecting that he'll be there given he's getting game time and we're short on props.

The other thing is someone like Ogden who I think is already in the NRL squad this year but hasn't seen any game time.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I feel a lot better about us not getting Adam Blair. He definitely cost the Broncos the game against the Eels by putting them on the back foot from the get go.

Latest posts