2017 Rugby League World Cup

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by TomRedVRiver, Oct 5, 2017.

1. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

Thought it might be nice to get a thread going on the upcoming world cup and to continue throughout the tournament.

Squads were very interesting. One thing that I think everyone noticed is the Tongan squad.... WOW. I honestly think they will make the final to take on the Aussies. I'm looking at NZ's squad who I feel will be the only nation to genuinely challenge Australia and I feel like the Tongan squad is stronger. It would be great for Rugby League if they make it all the way.

Nice to see Benny Hunt in the squad as well. He will shine in this tournament no doubt.

Thoughts people?

2. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

That Tongan squad is really something.

Really hope Ben Hunt gets game time. I know he's only a Cam Smith backup but he deserves to play

Also this ready shows how great he was at hooker that after only a month in the position he earnt a role as backup to the best hooker of all time.

WoyD4LWoy and TomRedVRiver like this.
  3. grouch

grouch First Grade

If the Tongan halves can produce something decent then that team could very conceivably make the final. They are ridiculously strong right across the park, aside from the halves. The strongest non "big 3" team I've ever seen

I love the World Cup. As a fan ofrugby league it is, for me, the pinnacle. Growing up my greatest memories were staying up late/waking up early to watch the Ashes test matches on the old Kangaroo tours... and fantasising about wearing that jersey. Through the 80's the Dragons were mostly shit so it was nice to cheer for a team that conquered all before them, and I fell in love with the international game.

Nowadays, the joy is in watching the 'minnow' nations. They tend to have a mix unknown homegrown local players who are experiencing their career highlights just being there, and elite-NRL players representing their heritage purely for pride alone - virtually zero monetary reward. It's a winning combo for me, I enjoy it.

It's not a contrived novelty either. The Rugby League World Cup has been around since 1954, it's older than the cricket and union world cups. Even the cup itself, the Paul Barriere Trophy, has a fascinating story and heritage worth looking in to. So the history aspect of the tournament turns me on a bit too

Looking forward to it

4. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Well said Grouch
    I to will be watching with interest.
    Tonga has a impressive team.
    The kiwis are not as strong without there island boys but will still be the team to beat.
    I think Samoa will also be competitive.
    Great to see PNG playing there games at home.
    The place will go off.
    I have loved the world cup ever since my dad took me the 1977 world cup final .
    At the scg australia won 13 to 12 over the poms.
    It was a great year with the saints winning as well

5. grouch

grouch First Grade

Well, that's the other thing I failed to mention - the games themselves are often sensational. The 2013 semi final between England & NZ is one of the greatest games I've ever seen

6. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 Juniors

Hope Fafarta never gets picked for Australia, again.
    Good luck to all teams!

Coffs dragon, dragonssamy61 and ALSGI like this.
  7. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

I'm looking forward to the WC. I have taken a bit more interest on account of the smaller nations (myself having a background in one of those).
    I understand people get all precious over eligibility of players but it is a good way to strengthen the minnows because I do believe league needs to have some sort of international competition for the sake of growing the game.

There will be the inevitable slagging of the smaller teams, blowout score lines etc. but that happens in the Soccer & Rugby WC. Oddly it doesn't happen at the AFL World Cup........

8. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Ah Mau named for Toa Samoa's RLWC tilt
    Fri 6th October, 11:30AM
    A A

Competition - Tonga V Samoa Test Round - N/A Teams – Tonga V Samoa Date – 7th of May 2016 Venue – Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta Photographer – Mark Nolan Description –

St George Illawarra prop Leeson Ah Mau was on Friday morning announced by Samoan RL president Tagaloa Faafouina Su'a as part of Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

Skipper Frank Pritchard and Josh Papalii (who will play for Samoa for the first time) were named in a Samoan side chockful of extensive NRL and Super League experience.

Ah Mau, Ben Roberts, Peter and Sione Mata’utia, Sam Tagataese and Tautau Moga are an example of the further experience within the squad.

Toa Samoa will take on New Zealand (Auckland, 28 October), Tonga (Hamilton, 4 November) and Scotland (Cairns, 11 November).

Coach Matt Parish said he has assembled a strong, experienced squad who have a desire to represent Samoa.

"Despite some players being unavailable due to injury we have a very strong squad that will do Samoa proud," Parish said.

Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad:

· Frank Pritchard (c)

· Bunty Afoa

· Leeson Ah Mau

· Fa'amanu Brown

· Herman Ese’ese

· Pita Godinet

· Joseph Leilua

· Ricky Leutele

· Sam Lisone

· Jarome Luai

· Suaia Matagi

· Peter Mata’utia

· Sione Mata’utia

· Ken Maumalo

· Tautau Moga

· Zane Musgrave

· Josh Papalii

· Joseph Paulo

· Junior Paulo

· Ben Roberts

· Sam Tagataese

· Jazz Tevaga

· Young Tonumaipea

· Matthew Wright

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/ah_mau_named_for_toa.af_news.html

9. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Lafai into Samoa squad for RLWC
    NRL.com

Fri 6th October, 05:00PM
    A A

[​IMG]

St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai has been added to Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

After announcing their 24-man squad in Samoa on Friday morning, officials were given the belated news that Newcastle Knights skipper Mata’utia and Knights-bound Brisbane centre Moga have been ruled unfit.

Mata’utia had been told he would be fine to play in the tournament but the Samoans were advised by the Knights after further tests that he should not play following a concussion in the last NRL match of the season. Moga has been directed to have off-season shoulder surgery.

Their replacements are two in-form NRL players from this season in Lafai, the St George Illawarra Dragons’ three-quarter, and Manly back-rower Winterstein - neither of whom missed a club match in 2017.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/lafai_into_samoa_squ.html
    “While it is disappointing, especially at this late stage when we were led to believe both players were fit, I am really delighted that we have such depth to bring in Frank and Tim who were both disappointed not to make the initial squad,” said Parish.

“Tim has played eight times for Samoa and both were valuable members of our 2013 World Cup squad.

“They have proved to be consistent good performers in the NRL this season and I know how much this opportunity will mean to them.”

Frank Pritchard was earlier named as captain in a squad which includes Canberra Raiders powerhouse Josh Papalii, who is playing for Samoa for the first time at the World Cup,

Papalii will play alongside Canberra teammates Junior Paulo and Joey Leilua in a strong Toa Samoan side with extensive NRL and Super League experience but a blend of youth.

Zane Musgrove, Jazz Tevaga and Jarome Luai are other newcomers to the Toa Samoa squad, while Joseph Paulo returns to the side for the first time since 2010.

Ben Roberts, Leeson Ah Mau, Peter and Sione Mata’utia, Sam Tagataese and Tautau Moga add further experience to the squad.

Samoa squad

Frank Pritchard (captain)
    Bunty Afoa
    Leeson Ah Mau
    Faámanu Brown
    Herman Ese’ese
    Pita Godinet
    Tim Lafai
    Joey Leilua
    Ricky Leutele
    Sam Lisone
    Jarome Luai **
    Suaia Matagi
    Peter Mata’utia
    Ken Maumalo
    Zane Musgrave **
    Josh Papalii **
    Joseph Paulo
    Junior Paulo
    Ben Roberts
    Sam Tagataese
    Jazz Tevaga **
    Young Tonumaipea
    Frank Winterstein
    Matthew Wright

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/06/lafai_into_samoa_squ.html

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  10. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Juniors

One heck of a team when you think about it...great backline.

11. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

I do call Australia home....so dont crucify me. But shit i would love Samoa to smash the Aussies.. the QLD connection... and especially the rorting storm players! Anything to stop them singing YIPEE YI YO the arrogant jerks.
    I am sure they all have confederate flags at home and eat hillbilly grub.

This Year?, Crush and dragonssamy61 like this.
  12. Disinterested third party

Disinterested third party Juniors

Brilliant comment.

It has undoubtedly provided some of the greatest football the game has produced over its lifetime - the international game. For that reason alone, it deserves immense respect by all that follow the game. The fact it doesn't get it is an indictment on those people who don't appreciate it.

13. Disinterested third party

St George's game vs Great Britain in 1962 should be enough for anyone that follows this club to appreciate the significance of it.

14. Disinterested third party

Ditto Tests 1 & 2 Australia v GB 1990.

15. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Lovodua, Milne named in Bati RLWC squad
    Sat 7th October, 05:00PM
    A A

[​IMG]

St George Illawarra duo Joe Lovodua and Taane Milne on Saturday afternoon have been named in Fiji's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

Tariq Sims (wrist) was unfortunately ruled out of representing the Bati with his brothers Korbin and Ashton.

Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth will discuss the extent of Sims's injury with Dragons TV early next week.

Lovodua and Milne earlier on Saturday played in a 16-all draw against the Fijian Residents before being named in the Bati's squad.

Fiji Bati 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad:

1. Kane Evans - Sydney Roosters
    2. Salesi Faingaa - Parramatta Eels
    3. Jarryd Hayne - Gold Coast Titans
    4. Tui Kamikamica - Melbourne Storm/ SC Falcons
    5. Villiame Kikau - Penrith Panthers
    6. Apisai Koroisau - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
    7. Joe Lovadua - St George-Illawarra Dragons
    8. Henry Raiwalui - Mounties RLFC
    9. Taane Milne - St George-Illawarra Dragons/ Illawarra RLFC
    10. Sitiveni Moceidreke - South Sydney Rabbitohs/ North Sydney Bears
    11. Marcelo Montoya - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
    12. Kevin Naiqama (C) - Wests Tigers
    13. Ben Nakubuwai - Gold Coast Titans/ Tweed Heads Seagulls
    14. Mikaele Ravalawa - Canberra Raiders
    15. Junior Roqica - London Broncos
    16. Jacob Saifiti - Newcastle Knights
    17. Ashton Sims - Warrington Wolves
    18. Korbin Sims - Brisbane Broncos
    19. Pio Seci - Nabua Broncos
    20. James Storer - Port Kembla Blacks
    21. Akuila Uate - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
    22. Eloni Vunakece - Sydney Roosters/ Wyong Roos
    23. Suliasi Vunivalu - Melbourne Storm
    24. Brayden Wiliame - Catalans Dragons
    25. Etuate Bola - Nabua Broncos

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/10/07/lovodua_milne_named_.html

16. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Well done Joe.
    It will be a great experience for him.
    He is only a 18.
    Good luck to him.

17. Crush

Crush Juniors

I love the nrl but struggle to get excited about anything outside of that in Rugby League. I watch most nrl games every week regardless of which teams are playing and always have a team I am rooting for. Watching Raiders lose is almost as fun as watching Dragons win!
    When it comes to International Rugby League I usually just watch the games to see how individual players perform. The results dont matter to me, I feel nothing when Australia losses a game for example.
    Watching the Wallabies play I get 100 percent behind the team and watch the game hoping for a wallabies win at any cost!
    When Aussie cricket team lost to Bangladesh recently I was devastated!
    I don't like watching soccer much but watch the internationals with interest and the world cup is truely the best sporting event in the world.
    I guess its because alot of the players in the league WC play in the nrl that it has a different feel for me. I find it hard to barrack for a team full of players I hate even if they are wearing a green and gold jersey.

ALSGI, ouryear and Dennis Papaioannou like this.
  18. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

Same for me, unless dragons have 4 or more players in the team, I don't care if we lose. I enjoy seeing some of the QLD players get beaten and realise they actually arent footballing gods.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  19. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Match officials announced for the RLWC and no Luke Patten.

Actually he dropped off around about the same time as the famous "knock-forward" incident which we all know it was "knocked-back". I think he was the assistant video ref in the State Championship final but that's about it.

20. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

Badger is probably the most consistent referee in the NRL, a shame he's not in the mix here.