2017 Rugby League World Cup

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by TomRedVRiver, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Disinterested third party

Disinterested third party Juniors

Many of us are bored shitless with the style of play churned out in the NRL. Effectively every team is indistinguishable from the next. The RLWC demonstrates that you can play different styles, which seems to be forgotten by the coaches we are currently lumped with - all of whom could be produced with the same mould.

Walpole and dragonssamy61 like this.
  2. KiamaSaint

KiamaSaint Coach

This has been the best RLWC in history. It is only a shame that I have lost interest with one game left and that is largely due to the boring style of play of my team, the Kangaroos.

3. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

Agreed.

At this point my support for Dragons outweighs my support for Australia in the context of a WC, so I'll mostly be rooting for Widdop to have a blinder of a game. Would be amazing to see him topple a team as dominant as the Kangaroos.

Of course if by some chance Ben Hunt gets called up the same would apply there.

Gareth67 likes this.
  4. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

My only interest for the final is getting through the game without Widdop, Graham, Friz (and if Hunt gets a start), them picking up a serious injury ala Hodgson. That would really throw a spanner into our season.

BTW.....Aust by 20

5. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

What about frizz.
    There you go you can cheer when he has the ball

6. grouch

grouch First Grade

Being right all the time is pretty unusual behaviour, I agree.

7. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I don't think it's unusual at all.

I was thinking about this the other day, and why I've enjoyed the World Cup so much.

I'm pretty sure it's because I got to watch some actual footy being played.

i also haven't really supported anyone (eventually I was on board the tonga train, but who wouldn't be) so instead of pulling my hair out watching the dragons or the blues, I've been able to watch and enjoy and appreciate the skill and passion of the teams. It's been a shit run for a dragons/nsw supporter. The World Cup has come as welcome relief.

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  8. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Widdop the key for England: Slater
    Thu 30 Nov, 2017, 6:45am
    By Joel Gould‌, Queensland Reporter‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

[​IMG]
    Billy Slater has identified Gareth Widdop as England's danger man in the World Cup final and insists the Kangaroos won't be taking their eyes off his opposite number for a second in the attacking line.

Widdop was moved to fullback by coach Wayne Bennett during this campaign and it proved a masterstroke with the former five-eighth chiming in to the backline and creating opportunities for his supports ever since.

That purple patch of form does not surprise Slater one bit.

"Gareth always had this sort of potential," he said.

"He played number one when he was coming through the under-20s and when [Melbourne] won the competition in 2009 he was a key player. Then he won a premiership with us in 2012, so we all know what Gareth Widdop is capable of. He is probably their strike weapon and we need to know where he is at all times."

Player Head-to-Head

[​IMG]
    Gareth
    Widdop
    Games Played: 5
    • Tries
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Try Assists
      [​IMG]

Slater 3
    • Line Break Assists

Widdop 6

Slater 3
    • All Run Metres

Widdop 556

Slater 590

Billy
    Slater
    Games Played: 4

Slater said Widdop had an incisive running game and was also a skilful passer of the football, making him doubly dangerous.

"So being aware of where Gareth is when they are attacking our tryline is probably a key for us," he said.

"That is a big indicator of where they are going to go.

"I have played a bit of footy with Gareth in Melbourne and he is a natural. So long as he has the ball in his hands he is going to be a danger."

Widdop said he hadn't played fullback for six or seven years before this tournament but had stored in his memory bank all the secrets of the position that he learned from Slater when they were at the Storm together.

"I learned a few things of Bill and hopefully those things I did learn I can use for the weekend's game," Widdop said.

"When I was coming through the 20s I was playing fullback so I worked really close with Bill.

"It has been good [at fullback] and the more I play there the more comfortable I feel."

While Slater will have his eye on Widdop, the reverse is also true.

England trained on Wednesday in the Brisbane rain and were rehearsing how they would defend the outside/inside play that Slater, Cameron Smith and Coper Cronk have mastered.

"That is one play those three boys have been doing together for the last 10 or 15 years," Widdop said.

"It is easy to watch it, but stopping it is going to be difficult.

"That is where we need to switch on, and for 80 minutes in this game, because they are going to throw all sorts of different things at us."

http://www.nrl.com/widdop-the-key-for-england-slater/tabid/10874/newsid/116668/default.aspx

9. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Juniors

Watching the RLWC final, and Widdop is on fire, massive kick returns, great defence, great instincts ...
    Walmsely is on, and he is huge..

10. OzDragon

OzDragon Bench

Entertaining game. I was hoping England would win though.

nontime111, Drag Queen and This Year? like this.
  11. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

Gareth Widdop was not far off player of the tournament. Can't think of one other player who performed great every single match, even Cronk, Slater and Smith had off games.

12. emu62

emu62 Juniors

Australia are the best team & deserve to win it but is it just me? or is their structured mistake free football boring Give me the pacific island teams to watch any day , even with their high mistake rates

13. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

It's boring. They are deserving of victory but it is very boring to watch

nontime111 and Coffs dragon like this.
  14. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

I have to agree.
    The different styles is what made this one of the best world cups.
    I hope we now organise more tests .
    As I have said before .
    I would like to see .
    When the state of origin stand alone weekends.
    That they have pacific island test match.
    PNG V Figi and Tonga v Somoa.
    Then the winner of the tournament could be added to the 4 nations tournament.
    Imo

nontime111 and Gareth67 like this.
  15. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Juniors

I feel very sorry for James Graham, he looks completely rooted. Poor bloke probably needs about 3 months off before McJetski sends his career backwards with the power game that runs out of petrol!

16. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

I agree.
    Unfortunately the nrl is becoming the same.
    I mean watching the storm play is also very boring.
    But also very successful.
    Its all the slowing down off the ruck.
    And the defensive tactics.

17. 2010

2010 Juniors

I must admit that I have only watched the second half of the final. Of course great to see none of our players injured, which is a bonus.
    Now let’s get back to the real deal. Dragons and the season ahead.
    First is to sack our coach

emu62, nontime111 and Drag Queen like this.
  18. Drag Queen

Drag Queen Juniors

No way. I woke up from a wine coma with 10 minutes to go. I'm not a league tactician but I'm guessing England gave it to them.. low scoring game and all. Now to watch the replay and order some pizza :D

dragonssamy61 and Gareth67 like this.
  19. Gareth67

Gareth67 Juniors

Agree with the slowing down of the ruck and what about Smith's dive ? No wonder Graham gave him an earful !
    Given the choice I would prefer all teams to be able to play the free flowing game that the island nations brought to the event .

However whilst we have coaches like Bellamy running around , whom seems so intent on pushing the limit when it comes to slowing the ruck and his wrestling tactics , our game will remain but a mere shadow of what it once was .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    SEAT 1A and dragonssamy61 like this.
  20. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Did anyone else think that the final pass on our try looked forward...??? Borderline at best.

Drakon and dragonssamy61 like this.