What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Semi Final, Sat - Eels 16-24 Cowboys @ ANZ

Finals Week 2: Eels v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spade

Juniors
Cowboys just too good.

Picking Pritchard on the bench was a stupid coaching move. Will Smith was exposed yet again - forget the try he scored, everything else was poor. He was well targetted.

As soon as the big prop went off for HIA in the first two minutes they were f**ked with the bench consisting of Scott and Pritchard lol.

TheFrog

Coach
Around 2 mil of the salary cap is out for the cowboys due to injury and they manage to be in the final 4.
Thurston is probably on close to a mil. Scott would be well under half that. The rest are just depth players who wouldn't make the 17 over the players they've got. They've picked up TMM who isn't quite Thurston but is not a bad replacement at all. The team was as full strength as its going to get last night. They might lose Hess, which would be a significant loss.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Thurston is probably on close to a mil. Scott would be well under half that. The rest are just depth players who wouldn't make the 17 over the players they've got. They've picked up TMM who isn't quite Thurston but is not a bad replacement at all. The team was as full strength as its going to get last night. They might lose Hess, which would be a significant loss.

Are you a cowboys supporter? I definitely don't think you can say TMM is a solid replacement for Thurston. Thurston is one of the best halfbacks to ever play the game whilst TMM was struggling to cement a spot in Penrith. I'm not going to claim to know figures out of the salary cap but I would assume Scott is on more than 500k considering he recently resigned? Plus there's Pat Kaufusi who was also out. Maybe it's closer to 1.5 mil but that's still insane and a massive disadvantage. Eels and Sharks were the two biggest threats to Melbourne in the competition and the cowboys eliminated them both. With an understrength squad! We've already seen Melbourne demolish Brisbane and almost beat the Roosters with their reserve grade squad. Im sure any team can still win it but I think the cowboys have done Melbourne a massive favour in this competition. Unless the cowboys can pull it off... in which case Paul Green is the coach of the year.

Canard

Immortal

Scott on "well under" 500k??

Did you just wake from a 30 year coma?

GongPanther

Referee
He's a massive loss, but we have French and Gutherson to come back into this backline.
Yes,apologies,those two who I couldn't remember their names.Your side will be better for the experience,as long as they feel the hurt in this loss and don't simply shrug it off,only then will that desire remain burning for next season.

butchmcdick

Immortal

If Tamou is in 700k how much do you reckon scott is on ?

GongPanther

Referee
I don't expect us to win next week. But what a ride it's been.
Live the moment.Buy every day's paper leading up to next week's game and keep them.Do the same leading up to the GF,if you make it so in the future,you can relive in the historical moments before your new GF win.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cowboys just too good.

Picking Pritchard on the bench was a stupid coaching move. Will Smith was exposed yet again - forget the try he scored, everything else was poor. He was well targetted.
That's what happens when you're forced to play your third string fullback. Smith was our best player last week but he has flaws in his game and they were exposed last night.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Te Maire Martin is one of only two players from last night's Cowboys team who hadn't played finals footy before this year. Meanwhile they had 12 premiership winners lining up for them. Finals experience is massively important.

For Parra they only had three premiership winners on the field plus ten blokes who were playing in their first finals series.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you a cowboys supporter? I definitely don't think you can say TMM is a solid replacement for Thurston. Thurston is one of the best halfbacks to ever play the game whilst TMM was struggling to cement a spot in Penrith. I'm not going to claim to know figures out of the salary cap but I would assume Scott is on more than 500k considering he recently resigned? Plus there's Pat Kaufusi who was also out. Maybe it's closer to 1.5 mil but that's still insane and a massive disadvantage. Eels and Sharks were the two biggest threats to Melbourne in the competition and the cowboys eliminated them both. With an understrength squad! We've already seen Melbourne demolish Brisbane and almost beat the Roosters with their reserve grade squad. Im sure any team can still win it but I think the cowboys have done Melbourne a massive favour in this competition. Unless the cowboys can pull it off... in which case Paul Green is the coach of the year.
When a 32 year old signs a two year extension he's probably not on too much given the expectation of declining performance over the life of the contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on $300k or less per season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
When a 32 year old signs a two year extension he's probably not on too much given the expectation of declining performance over the life of the contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on $300k or less per season.

I'm not great with estimating figures so I won't argue with that. But the point I'm trying to get across is that cowboys were missing their best player and their best prop. Credit must be given where credits due.