What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Squad

Vic Mackey

Referee
So from what I can tell our top Squad will be:

Aloiai
Brooks
Ballin
MCK
Edwards
Felisse
T.Grant
Hunt
Lawrence
Liddell
Littlejohn
Lovett
Moses
Naquima
Nofo
Rankin
Ava
Simona
B.Sironen
Sue
Tedesco
Woods
Idris (now confirmed 1 year deal)

Thats only 23

Rumoured but hasnt been confirmed:

E.Taylor (rumoured to have agreed to terms but needs C. Sironen to leave to fit under cap. Has started pre season with the club)

I believe the following have signed either second tier first grade/nsw cup contracts for next year:

Paeska
Marsters (I think he is top 25)
Jacobs
McIllwrick
Tatola
Mapesone
Jordan Marshall-King
Griffin
Heleta
Lolo
Eisenhuth
Bartley
Jack Wheelhouse
Sokobalava
Seve

These two are on NYC but training with 1st grade during the offseason:

Jacob Giles
Moses Suli

Following have confirmed leaving or unsure :

C.Sironen (confirmed to Manly)
Milone (zero tackle has off contract - rumours he was retiring)
J.Grant (reports he hasn't been offered a contract)
Cassell (I thought he signed for 2 years last year however zero tackle has off contract)
Peni (now confirmed he has signed with Western Force)
Kharwin (confirmed he has signed with Redcliff)
C. Taylor (signed with Aussie Union 7s)

Can anybody add anything else?

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
There are a few bits to fill in the puzzle but almost there. I hope Sironen goes to Manly for both his own and WT good- that will leave another squad place open.. I've definitely heard Milone is retiring due to injury (knees?). A new era begins..

Vic Mackey

Referee
There are a few bits to fill in the puzzle but almost there. I hope Sironen goes to Manly for both his own and WT good- that will leave another squad place open.. I've definitely heard Milone is retiring due to injury (knees?). A new era begins..

Sironen and Naquima have both been rumored to be leaving. If that means ET and Idris come into the squad it's a great swap. ideally though I'd like all 4 as to me our depth is very thin in some positions.

I think our best 17 will be fairly strong and a good top 8 contender however if we lose a couple, particularly back rowers or three quarters, I think we're in trouble. Guys like marsters, Jacobs, Heleta and Karwin have potential however I wouldn't want to see them playing a lot of first grade next year (marsters might handle it).

There's still a few guys off contract at other clubs who would be worth a shot on second tier contracts IMO. Jacob Gagan and Carlin Anderson stand out in the backs to me. Both highly rated juniors who have stalled through injuries and now behind strong back lines. For edge forwards the roosters have a couple of guys in Adrian Papalii and Mitchell Frei who again are stuck behind very good players but have looked good in limited opportunities.

Last edited:
I'd rather pay Sironen to play elsewhere than have him in our squad. It's rare that I say this about a player, but he's got no f**ken ticker.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I write for a blog and we've been putting in our best 17 for each club.

Let me know if this needs fixing up (most likely does). Any help would be appreciated.

1. James Tedeseco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Jamal Idris (tbc)
4. Tim Simona
5. Kevin Naiqama
6. Mitch Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods (c)
9. Matt Ballin
10. Tim Grant
11. Josh Aloiai
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Elijah Taylor (tbc)

14. Jacob Liddle
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. JJ Felise
17. Kyle Lovett

BrotherJim05

Bench
I write for a blog and we've been putting in our best 17 for each club.

Let me know if this needs fixing up (most likely does). Any help would be appreciated.

1. James Tedeseco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Jamal Idris (tbc)
4. Tim Simona
5. Kevin Naiqama
6. Mitch Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods (c)
9. Matt Ballin
10. Tim Grant
11. Josh Aloiai
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Elijah Taylor (tbc)

14. Jacob Liddle
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. JJ Felise
17. Kyle Lovett

Very close but Sue will definitely be in the starting 13. Not sure if he will be continuing at Prop or in back row.
I would like to say that Lovett will drop to 18 but Taylor loves the kid.
Also, Naiqama has been linked to moving to Super League so we might see a fresh face on the wing. Changes:

10. Sue

14. Grant
15. Ava
16. Liddle
17. Lovett

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah Sue will definitely be there and likely starting. I'd say R95 is pretty spot on. The number 17 will probably be between Lovett/MCK/Edwards/Sironen

Idris seems 99% a Tiger for next year and if Kev goes the left wing will be between Rankin and Hunt. You'd think Rankin would be in front however apparently Hunt was going to be there for round 1 this year til he got injured in the trial

Our best 17 is probably fairly set in stone already IMO

I'll throw a NSW cup team up for shits and giggles assuming Kev stays, Idris & ET sign and Lovett in NRL

1. Hunt
2. Kharwin
3. Heleta
4. Jacobs
5. Rankin
6. Mapesone
7. Littlejohn
8. Felisse
9. McIllwrick
10. Griffin
11. C.Sironen
12. MCK
13. Edwards

14. B.Sironen
15. Marsters
16. Tatola
17. Cassell
18. McCormack

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Is Idris definitely going to be in the centres?

I could see him as an off the bench back rower...

Nothing has been said about his position however in an interview on triple m a few weeks back Moses said he was excited to have Jamal in the team and especially since he would be defending next to him.

To me that means he is being looked at for right center but it could also mean right back row

Edit...there is now an article on the main website with JT saying he will play in the backs

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Few updates now with Idris confirmed and Peni confirmed leaving. Likely a couple of announcements coming up re Curtis going to Manly and ET resigning.

The 25 will likely be as above with Marsters added as it was reported we matched Cronullas offer of $150kpa to keep him

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think round 1 will look something like this:

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Idris
4. Simona
5. Naiqama (replaced by Rankin or Grant if he is leaving)

6. Moses
7. Brooks

8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Sue
11. Lawrence
12. Aloai
13. ET

14. Liddle
15. Ava
16. Grant
17. Lovett/Felise/MCK/Edwards

I was thinking that Sue would eventually move to back row but given that he was consistently picked at starting prop I don't think this is going to happen

Tiger Ted

Bench
We need more aggression in the forwards & another outside back with speed who is a competent defender.

I hope the club doesn't pay Elijah Taylor overs as he is nothing special & lacks aggression & size.

We r entering a fascinating period for this club with many key players of contract.The club must have finally learnt from the gargantuan errors of past administrations & ensure that players r offered their true worth & if they don't like it they can f**k of as we will never b a force until we have a well balanced roster where nobody is earning overs !

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not convinced that Aloiai is a starting back rower yet. We need a genuinely powerful player there in attack and defence.

Can't carry Rankin and Naiqama for another year either. I'd prefer a centre and put Simona on the wing.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm not convinced that Aloiai is a starting back rower yet. We need a genuinely powerful player there in attack and defence.

Can't carry Rankin and Naiqama for another year either. I'd prefer a centre and put Simona on the wing.

Yeah I agree that Aloiai would be better served coming off the bench. He does have size and aggression to make impact, all he needs to do is handle big minutes which I think will come with experience. What do you reckon about Sue playing in 2nd row? I remember he played there a bit and could handle pretty big minutes. I think the only reason he moved back to Prop/Lock was because we were lacking in that department.
Maybe we need to chase another prop and move Sue to 2nd row?

I wouldn't mind see Simona on the wing again but I doubt its going to happen. We aren't chasing any more centres and wing is easier to replace than centre...wish we could get Korobete back..

Vic Mackey

Referee
A few more updates with Sironen leaving and two of last years nsw cup/nyc wingers announced as signings elsewhere. ET is in photos for pre season so his signing must be immient.

Gotta say our wing and center depth is virtually non existent. If we get even one or two injuries we are in serious trouble out wide.

Fordy20

Juniors
While our wing and centre depth is worse this year, that fact that we were fielding Naiqama and Rankin last years means we're really not that worse off. Jacob Gagan would have been a good signing, but with Ben Barba getting the arse, Cronulla will be more motivated to re sign him.

I'd like to see Whare in the centres here. Rumour had him potentially signing with Manly, despite him having a year to go on his contract with the Panthers. If he is available, we should be looking at him for sure, particularly if we can't get Kerrod Holland.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I suppose you're right in that we've really only lost JAC and gained Idris. So if we keep Kev and he goes to left wing I think our 2-5 is stronger then this year.

Justin Hunt could be a handy left wing option. I'd say he would have got the spot over rankin if he didn't get injured in the last trial. He is also probably the best goal kicker at the club which won't hurt.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If Idris reaches his best then our backline is in MUCH better shape.

We just need a winger with strike power and our backline is complete.