What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Squad

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Tigers need a bit of a mini cleanout and refresh.

I'd rid of Brooks and sign a reliable experienced half; but unfortunately the only real big names off contract are Thurston, Johnson, Pearce, Townsend and Widdop, none of which would get signed or are worth signing.

The thing you guys need is some real experience in the spine. The youth policy your club has set in place just doesn't work.

You can't put all your eggs into the youth basket because they don't have any experience to guide the team around and therefore won't make the finals and then they won't get any big game experience. Until that gets sorted I can't see them making the finals anytime soon.

the 'inexperienced, young side' doesnt really fly anymore. the 'kids' it has applied to are generally teddy, nofo, simona, brooks, moses, sue, ava etc are all 22-25. of that lot moses has the least nrl games and he's stilll at 57. all are begining at least their fourth season in the nrl. our side has had very minimal changes (apart from farah) for the last 3 years, they know each others games and the style we want to play. these arent kids, they are NRL professionals who should be entering their prime.

i get what you are saying and i dont necessarily disagree with you. im more saying our club cant use that as an excuse anymore.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
the 'inexperienced, young side' doesnt really fly anymore. the 'kids' it has applied to are generally teddy, nofo, simona, brooks, moses, sue, ava etc are all 22-25. only moses has the least nrl games at 57 and all are begining at least their fourth season in the nrl. our side has had very minimal changes (apart from farah) for the last 3 years. these guys arent kids, they are NRL professionals who should be entering their prime.

i get what you are saying and i dont necessarily disagree with you. im more saying our club cant use that as an excuse anymore.
Yeah totally fair Vic. I hope you guys get results because we had a similar period around 2009-2011 where we had the likes of Sandow steering the ship lol and it wasn't until we got a good core together (and coach I suppose) that results started coming in.

On their day the Tigers can beat anyone but it's just about consistency. I still think Brooks needs the flick.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brooks needs to be allowed to play his natural game. Since his debut he's been a square peg being forced into a round hole.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Brooks needs to be allowed to play his natural game. Since his debut he's been a square peg being forced into a round hole.

I hear you, but what exactly is his natural game? I have noticed that Brooks excels when he is the only half steering the ship. This was evident when he played alongside Anasta (who did bugger all) and when he was partnered with Lawrence (when Moses was injured) who was essentially just a running backrower playing at 5/8.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The question we need to ask is this.

He's an attacking halfback, who takes the line on, why does he need to have his entire style handicapped to appease a coach whose gameplans are one dimensional and narrow minded?

Tiger Ted

Bench
There's no doubt that Taylor's inept myopic style of coaching is adversely affecting a no. of players development in particular Brooks.

Brooks is at a career crossroads & mentoring by none other than A. Johns wouldn't do him or consequently the tigers season any harm.Hiring Johns would b arguably the best investment this clubs ever made.

Simona to the Titans according to a mate.

When I asked, is that officia,l he said he'd heard Peter Tunks talk about it on radio.

Clifferd

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/c85d3332864038fb86b2f19d3041ff79

The Gold Coast are ready to pounce on Samoan international Tim Simona.

The Titans have emerged as a possible saviour for the Wests Tigers’ salary cap concerns and are ready to make a play for the 25-year-old centre, who has been shopped around in recent weeks.

The Tigers reportedly need to shed a player before the start of the season and Market Watch can reveal Neil Henry is ready to strike.

With a vacancy for an outside back in their top squad, the Titans have been in talks with Roosters back Dale Copley and while the door hasn’t closed on the former Bronco, Simona has emerged as their first choice.

On a deal worth around $300,000 a season at the Tigers, the Titans are exploring several scenarios which would see him make a move.

They range from offering him an extra one to two seasons which could see him at the club until the end of 2019.

The Tigers would however need to contribute to his salary this season.

The 25-year-old is off contract with the Tigers at the end of 2017.

With new recruit Dan Sarginson able to play a host of positions in the backline, it’s understood Simona would slot into the centres with Konrad Hurrell.

If a deal can’t be struck, look for them to continue talks with Copley, who is on around $400,000-a-season at the Roosters.

Copley still has two years to run on his deal but has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I can't believe this club is so inept. If this is true that we are going to be paying Simona's contract if he leaves I'd rather he stayed this year and hope that the fine isn't too high. This is just crazy losing him. Let him go if that is what has to happen but when he is out of his contract please.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's totally ludicrous that we could b paying a gun outside back to play elsewhere.

The moronic hierarchy @ this club r totally innumerate!

simmo1

First Grade
We're struggling to stay under the cap, meanwhile the Warriors have managed to sign Tohu Harris. Seems legit.

Tiger05

First Grade
I have no idea how we are over the cap. I assume Robbie's salary is killing us but there must be significantly more that are being overpaid. Our squad has holes in it and if Simona goes that leaves another outside back spot that we need to fill.

Shredder

Juniors
I suspect this is whats happened:

1. We were over the cap based on a miscalculation of how much Robbies contract will effect us. (sounds like us)
2. We tried to offload Lovett
3. Lovett caught caught with drugs
4. We need to offload someone before the season starts
5. Simona was off contract anyway.

Most clubs would just pay the fine for being over and suck it up.

BrotherJim05

Bench
For f**ks sake I thought this Simona thing was a rumour.how could we have been so stupid. Simona is the best centre we have and could be moulded into one of the best wingers in the NRL.

Please please please WT just pay the fine

Vic Mackey

Referee
Elijah Taylor on BSB this morning said Matt Eisenhuth has been the most impressive player for him over pre season and he'll be in the team for round 1.

I don't know much about him but he didn't stand out as a first grader to me in the limited nsw cup games I saw last year. He looks very tall and lanky. Apparently can play edge or in the middle so similar to Aloiai I guess

Latest posts