What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 State of Origin Game 1

T.S Quint

Coach
QLD picking and sticking is a f**king myth.
Of course they had it easy picking mostly the same players every year because they were always winning. But even through all those winning years they had players go in and out of their team all the time.
Dave Taylor, Jacob Lilyman, Michael Crocker, David Shillington, Pj Marsh...and more than a few more have been replaced by other players in the QLD team.

Bazal

Post Whore
Pick and stick....

Stick and shit....

Our selection policies have nothing to do with us being shit. The sad reality is that we don't have players from NSW that are as good as or better than the best QLD players (with the exception of Inglis...)

Probably not. But at the same time we could easily be more competitive if we picked the actual best available players, rather than "picking and sticking" with nuffies like Pearce and Ferguson.

Big games often turn on big plays, and we simply don't pick the best players to take advantage of that. Would you be backing Tedesco or Dugan as more likely to come up with a game changing play from fullback, for example? Trobejevic or Ferguson? BJ Leilua or Dugan if Loz sees Dugan as a centre? Our selections have played a huge role in our Origin failures because we stick with mediocre players

Gronk

Staff member
Mal stuck with players who earned it through quality performance. Loz sticks with players who are ordinary for the sake of "picking and sticking". He's talking up Pearce again for f**ks sake!

Ask DCE what he reckons about Mal "picking and sticking"....

Well I guess the difference is that one team won 70% of their games.

Bazal

Post Whore
QLD picking and sticking is a f**king myth.
Of course they had it easy picking mostly the same players every year because they were always winning. But even through all those winning years they had players go in and out of their team all the time.
Dave Taylor, Jacob Lilyman, Michael Crocker, David Shillington, Pj Marsh...and more than a few more have been replaced by other players in the QLD team.

Exactly. They stick with the players who show are worth sticking with and then pick the best players at the time around them. We stick with players who lose 8 series in a row....

Chipmunk

Coach
Won't bother me if he is selected, but Loz won't like not picking Dugan or Fergo.

My guess is that if Dugan is fit, then Hayne will be overlooked for game 1 and Loz will say that Hayne needs more game time before he can be considered. Which actually means that he'll wait for an injury or if he get flogged.

Laurie Daley has never picked Dugan or Ferguson ahead of The Plane before, what makes you think he will do it now?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Everyone is an expert in hindsight. I don't see how anyone who has a problem with who Laurie's picked over the years could have come up with a better team at the time.

Not one of you merkins would have been able to stop the mighty maroons so get your hand off your savs!

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I would like to see Hayne in the team. I will then be very interested to see if he backs up for the Titan's next game.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Probably not. But at the same time we could easily be more competitive if we picked the actual best available players, rather than "picking and sticking" with nuffies like Pearce and Ferguson.

Big games often turn on big plays, and we simply don't pick the best players to take advantage of that. Would you be backing Tedesco or Dugan as more likely to come up with a game changing play from fullback, for example? Trobejevic or Ferguson? BJ Leilua or Dugan if Loz sees Dugan as a centre? Our selections have played a huge role in our Origin failures because we stick with mediocre players
Tedesco and Trbrbrbrbovebeb? Please.

BJ Leilua? Please.

Bazal

Post Whore
Trobojebrah, Teddy Bear and Blowjob-Leilua shit all over Dugan and Baldgerson. And they're much better players too

Gronk

Staff member
Trobojebrah, Teddy Bear and Blowjob-Leilua shit all over Dugan and Baldgerson. And they're much better players too

These guys are the future and when the f**k are these once-in-a-generation QLD merkins retiring ? FMD Smith Cronk Thurston Slater must have had enough if the whole thing by now.

I've never seen a more greedy and impatient bunch of merkins than you lot. Before you know it it'll be 2024 and we'll be champions again, so until then please try to control yourselves.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I bet if Laurie picked some young players and we lost (which is highly likely) then everyone would be on his case about how you need to combat QLD with experience. He is f**ked no matter what he does. Just like heaps of people on here will be right about what should be done once the series is over.

Bazal

Post Whore
I bet if Laurie picked some young players and we lost (which is highly likely) then everyone would be on his case about how you need to combat QLD with experience. He is f**ked no matter what he does. Just like heaps of people on here will be right about what should be done once the series is over.

Only idiots would tbh.

QLD got where they are by backing Inglis, Smith, Cronk, Thurston when they were young players with tonnes of potential. Inglis was 19, Thurston 21, Boyd 20, Slater 20, Smith 19, Scott 20.....and so on. They picked players for the future and stuck with them and that's a big part of the reason these guys are so good.

How can a player ever take the step up if they never play rep footy til they're 28? They're not likely to improve a lot. Picking and sticking with muppets has netted us 10% of the last 10 series....why not try sticking with the next generation for a few series?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

We stick with these players because there is no-one better. Queensland have a handful of 9/10 or 10/10 players. We only have Hayne who is still below his best (and maybe Tedesco) and then a bunch of guys who are 7 or 8 out of 10 for quality. The problem is we have a f**kload of such players which causes ignorant fans to ask "Why not pick a different player (of equivalent quality)?!? (Player X) has FAILED AT ORIGIN!!!" as if a different 8/10 player will magically improve in an Origin match.

84 Baby

Referee
why not try sticking with the next generation for a few series?
Because Paul Gallen, Greg Bird and Luke Lewis are clearly future immortals? Heck throw in Andrew "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Tickle Me Elmo" Fatfita, it's a miracle that Queensland were able to stop us winning more than once in the past 10 years