What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 State of Origin Game 1

84 Baby

Referee
Farah was a better player than Ennis, but just like Cam Smith, star hookers need to take a back seat to the halves in a rep game.

McManus was a very good winger, especially with his go forward. The only dude clearly better was Hayne.
Farah is clearly the poster boy for stamped FAILED AT ORIGIN because yes he was a better hooker than Ennis (probably still is I guess) but his report card always said "does not play well with others" (probably like yours) and given his record in Origin meant almost anyone should have been given his spot.

Bazal

Post Whore
1. Teddy
2. Dugan
3. Bird
4. Jenko
5. Turbo
6. Hayne
7. Maloney

I'd probably put Hayne at centre over Jenko (mostly for selfish Eels fan reasons) and take a punt on Keary at six. I reckon an electric ball runner has a big potential as a match winner in an Origin game.

Dugan on the wing I could handle, but I'd probably pick Tupou. He'd be a real weapon on the end of a Maloney kick

bartman

Immortal
1. Tedesco - incumbent
2. Ferguson - incumbent
3. Bird - incumbent (bench)
4. Dugan - incumbent (in centres)
5. Trbojevic - incumbent (19th man)
6. ...Moylan / Walker (incumbents) or Reynolds / Pearce at 7 (with Maloney to 6)
7. Maloney (incumbent)

Just a prediction.... Jennings, Morris and Mansour drop out of last year's squad. Hayne hasn't done enough to be included above any of these guys imo - he's not a #6.

bartman

Immortal
You're edging into Pou territory calling Tedesco, TrbojgfbakjdvfKLAJdfvafdgjHAGFJhagfBRAH and Leilua nuffies...arguably in the top three attacking players in their positions in the NRL.
Nothing funnier than a bit of casual racism, hey Baz... do you have a problem with Croatian surmanes?

strider

Post Whore
Hope the hooker can kick
I'd probably put Hayne at centre over Jenko (mostly for selfish Eels fan reasons) and take a punt on Keary at six. I reckon an electric ball runner has a big potential as a match winner in an Origin game.

Dugan on the wing I could handle, but I'd probably pick Tupou. He'd be a real weapon on the end of a Maloney kick
True ... i got a bit adventurous ... i first thought 4. Hayne ... but then decided to be biased to jenkovic ... but on second thought

1. Teddy
2. Dugan
3. Bird
4. Hayne
5. Turbo
6. Maloney
7. Pearce

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol... fail.

Where have I ever been racist about a Fijian surname Baz?

Well apparently making fun of a surname is racist (despite being the same race, you absolute clot)....so I can only imagine what sort of tremendous hate crime making fun of a person is!

heavy-derp-from-succes-o.gif

bartman

Immortal
Well apparently making fun of a surname is racist (despite being the same race, you absolute clot)....so I can only imagine what sort of tremendous hate crime making fun of a person is!
More gifs... I can hardly contain my lols!

Are you disputing that making fun of surnames in the manner that you did is casual racism Baz? Please tell me that you're not dumber than I'd thought?

bartman

Immortal
Huh? Making fun of someone of another race in any manner is not casual racisim - unless it's linked to race.

Your making fun of a player with a Croatian surname is casual racisim, given that surnames are common markers of cultural heritage.

Your accusation that I am racist toward Fijians was unfounded, and challenged without any response.

You've been struggling ever since, gif boy. Enjoy your delusions, and have a good night!

Bazal

Post Whore
Huh? Making fun of someone of another race in any manner is not casual racisim - unless it's linked to race.

Your making fun of a player with a Croatian surname is casual racisim, given that surnames are common markers of cultural heritage.

Your accusation that I am racist toward Fijians was unfounded, and challenged without any response.

You've been struggling ever since, gif boy. Enjoy your delusions, and have a good night!

Care to explain to me how Croatians are a different race to me....actually care to explain how they are a race in and of themselves in any way?

Or are you content to just spew unfounded shit in normal phantom-bart fashion....?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I didn't say they were better because they were picked younger. I said they became 9/10 or 10/10 players because they were picked as young 7 or 8/10 players. They grew immensely as players from playing rep footy at a young age.
I disagree. They would have grown anyway because they were so young, plus they spent their entire careers in strong club sides.

There is no doubt that Tedesco is as talented as GI or Slater, definitely more so than Slater who had nothing but speed when he first came into the NRL. Trobojevic is as good as Slater was when he was picked. Leilua (although a bit older so not really comparable to the young guys) is a far better player than the likes of Chambers, Nielsen, Tate, Josh Hannay, Matt King, Steven Bell, and others who have had as much or more impact in Origin when compared to Dugan and Ferguson.....there is no reason these guys can't be better than the nuffies we pick, and they certainly aren't worse at the moment so what do we lose?

If we're going to pick and stick, take a leaf out of the "We've won 9/10 origins book" and pick the young guns ffs
In most cases there are better players than 'the young guns'. IMO the only NSW player under 24 who would be even a chance of an Origin jersey would be Bird (the only certainty), Johnston, Yeo, Aitken, Walker, Gutherson, Moeroa, McInnes, Mitchell, Mata'utia and the Trbojevich brothers, though the ones in bold have no finals experience so there are better options.

Most young players just aren't good enough for Origin. You go on about Dugan and Ferguson but they are better players than the ones listed above (except Bird).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Farah is clearly the poster boy for stamped FAILED AT ORIGIN because yes he was a better hooker than Ennis (probably still is I guess) but his report card always said "does not play well with others" (probably like yours) and given his record in Origin meant almost anyone should have been given his spot.
Because rep teams aren't the place to experiment with the basic structure every team uses. Star dummy halves need to have the team built around them, which is the only way the Tigers got close to their money's worth out of Farah, and they ultimately decided they didn't need such a dominant (and expensive) dummy half. At rep level you just need a bloke to tackle and make smart decisions from dummy half, which is why Smith takes a back seat to Thurston come Origin time (as does Cronk). Smith is the best defensive hooker in the game, so there is still reason to pick him in rep teams. Not so with Farah, who doesn't defend any better than anyone else.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

:gapinganus:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Care to explain to me how Croatians are a different race to me....actually care to explain how they are a race in and of themselves in any way?

Or are you content to just spew unfounded shit in normal phantom-bart fashion....?
It might be racism but it's okay because they're white.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not. Making fun if the Irish is racist as well. It just happens to be okay because we all know that nobody's ashamed of being Irish. Same with Croatians.

Bazal

Post Whore
It's not. Making fun if the Irish is racist as well. It just happens to be okay because we all know that nobody's ashamed of being Irish. Same with Croatians.

Well what about Poms then? I mean, they're ALL ashamed of being Poms....

Wait, that's racist again isn't it?