What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Idris plays in the centres, which I highly doubt, then Simona won't be the one being pushed to the wing first. It'll be Kev, for a few reasons.

1. He's better out of dummy half.
2. His defensive issues are pratically non-existent out there
3. He's a vastly better finisher than creator of opportunities

Tiger05

First Grade
If Idris plays in the centres, which I highly doubt, then Simona won't be the one being pushed to the wing first. It'll be Kev, for a few reasons.

1. He's better out of dummy half.
2. His defensive issues are pratically non-existent out there
3. He's a vastly better finisher than creator of opportunities

I honestly don't think that you've watched Kev play. He was worse defensively on the wing than in the centres. He has also set-up heaps of tries and finished them from the centres. Simona is also good out of dummy half and has gone well on the wing.

Maybe you will be right in that Kev will be moved to the wing but none of the reasons you have listed are valid.

We need to replace Rankin. Idris on the left may make that side a lot stronger especially in attack. I accept something needs to be done about our right side defence but maybe we need to play a defensive backrower there or something else. Maybe Moses will bulk up more in the off season.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are all valid reasons. I watch a lot of kev play, but not with the Rose colour, Kev's love junk sprayed glasses that you wear.

Kev's defence on the wing is identical to when he's at centre. Therefore rushing up and in from the wing is far less damaging and has a higher success rate when done from the wing.

I didn't say he couldn't create tries, I said he was a better finisher. We need to work to our strengths and Kev is a vastly better attacking player on the wing then at centre. It's better for the side's defence if he is on the wing. He's a better one on one defender than Rankin.

You can't just leave the two weak links side by side and just blindly hope that Moses gets better. You have to spread the weaknesses out so they are harder to target.

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree something needs to be done about that side. It's not just 2 poor defenders next to each other but 3 and maybe even 4.

Moses, Ken, Nofo and Aloia all appear to struggle at times.

Kev to me has looked better in the centres than on the wing though. On the wing he got caught our more than in the centres. He also looks really good attacking in the centres. He looked I think better in the centres than on the wing.

That side defensively needs some changes but I'm not sure what needs to be done.

I'd be inclined to play Siro there again. His defence looks good. Aloiai is a better runner of the footy but I'm not sure that is what we need.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moses is the least versatile player out there, in the sense that we can't change his position in the side and the defensive line.

that means Kev has to move. Nofo is fine. If Kev defends with the line, Nofo doesnt get left stranded trying to cover 2-3 attackers.

Sironen is too slow laterally. He doesnt deserve a recall into the side until he drastically improves his game in the offseason

Tiger05

First Grade
Sironen is too slow laterally. He doesnt deserve a recall into the side until he drastically improves his game in the offseason

Aloiai is the same if not worse. I don't think we have an easy solution to that sides defence at the moment.

I saw Curtis Sironen the other day with Robbie and Kyle Lovett. Siro is huge. I said hello to Robbie and I wished him the best. He seemed like a decent bloke to me.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he can run with some mongrel he would be a handy lock.

Poor kid is confused. He shouldve gone to the sharks. They have a knack for turning average forwards into rep players

Tiger05

First Grade

Poor kid is confused. He shouldve gone to the sharks. They have a knack for turning average forwards into rep players

I still think he may turn into a good player. His defence was solid. His running game was okay. It was his work rate that was poor but Aloia also had a poor work rate when he was in that position.

BrotherJim05

Bench

I completely agree. We need to mould Sironen as an ET style ball-playing lock. Sironen doesn't have impact like most modern locks (that are essentially just a third prop) but he definitely has the ball skills. If he can up his work rate then he would be great off the bench so that we never deviate from having someone like ET/Sironen at lock

Tigers Tale

Juniors
There is something there that makes me want to have Sironen get a go. Whether it is his size or memories of his old man, I don't know but he could be the ball player we need in the forwards.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am sorry too that we missed out on Vaughan, he would have been a good pick up as he takes the ball up hard and can do big minutes.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its a shame Learoyd-Lahrs decided to retire. Only 31 I think and man he was light years ahead of the Group 4 competition this year.

There is something there that makes me want to have Sironen get a go.
Tigers Tale, I was very happy when he was dropped but I agree. I'd like to see him get a go at least, perhaps he might be lifted by the fact that his younger brother might get a rin before him in 2017.

I recalled reading that Josh Jackson came up through the reserves at the Dogs and just looked it up, he played 2 years in the NYC in 2010/11, then reserve grade in 2012 until Round 15 then into 1st grade.

Guys like Siro needed that pathway, not 1st grade to reserve grade. He finally got back into 1st grade at the end of the season against the Warriors I recall but had a virus so perhaps a strong and injury free off season might be a good thing.

I'd even have him grouped with Chee Cam and Idris in the off season, plenty of sprint work, learning defensive patters as both a centre and wide defensive backrower and ball playing skills needed as a centre and wide playing backrower.

Shredder

Juniors
Siro is a funny one. dropped dead then got a new deal shortly after. For mine hes in the same boat as Anasta was his career, too big for the backs and too small for the forwards. Modern packs can carry two small forwards and with ET being one, we need to be selective about the other. ET punches way above his weight. Hopefully Siro sees that an learns something.

TKO

Juniors
Is he as good as Felise. I rate Felise highly from what I've seen. He looks like becoming a great prop.

Felise is a good player but Lolo is big. Built like a brick sh** house, angry mongrel player who will run fast straight at you and over you. Has legs bigger than logs

Attachments

• cq5dam.thumbnail.140.100.png
    cq5dam.thumbnail.140.100.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 5

Tiger05

First Grade
Felise is a good player but Lolo is big. Built like a brick sh** house, angry mongrel player who will run fast straight at you and over you. Has legs bigger than logs

Interesting. I rate Felise really highly and would have him in the top team every week going forward. Maybe Sue can slot into the backrow.