What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 and beyond, our squad and recruitment.

1st & 10

Juniors
Have they assessed England? . Every Pom that has come out lately for various teams have really done well

Potential low cost gems in the motherland

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If that is the case re centres, Mann easily plays in one of the spots.
CC
I was very happy with Dufty's debut and think he can be our long term fullback. That begs the question as to where does that leave Field and Marsters, who both have very big wraps on them and both have also been earmarked for our future fullback?

With Widdop and Hunt both signed up long term, that means that Field will only be getting an opportunity in the halves if one of the above two get injured. Field is one of the most exciting juniors we have had come through and I don't want us to lose him, but I am now struggling to find a future permanent position for him. He is signed up long term for us and I would not be releasing him. Maybe he could take Widdop's position by 2020?

I have only seen Marsters play one game, it was at fullback. I thought he looked like he could be a good centre, or winger. I hope that he can push his way into first grade in one of those positions. I also have Lomax earmarked as one of our centres by 2019 at the latest. I actually like the idea of a centre pairing of Lomax and Marsters in 2019. I like the idea of a backline in 2019 of

1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Marsters
4 Lomax
5 TBC Someone with speed and size would be ideal, someone like Vunavalu.
6 Widdop
7 Hunt

I want us to have wingers with a bit of size, so they can bring the ball back instead of Dufty and so they can play an extra forward role, when coming out of our own territory. I would not have Kurt Mann as one of our wingers with Dufty or Field at fullback.

I have previously said that we do not need to buy an backs and am more confident now that we don't have to buy and backs.

I will also say that I was impressed with Host today. I am not a big fan of Thompson. I think Host is now ready to take his position and will be even more ready next year. Host looks like a real good edge forward. We still need to buy a really good big dominate prop to partner Vaughan. I think we could be now building towards having one of the best squads in the comp by 2019 we could have something like

1 Dufty
2 TBC
3 Masters/Lafai
4 Lomax
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Frizzell
11 Host
10 Vaughan
9 McInnis
8 TBC We should have bib money to spend of a top prop

14 Field/Aikten
15 Sele
16 Lawrie
17 TBC another good big dominate prop

I have not been this enthusiastic and positive about our club for a very long time.

I just edited this post. For some reason I had Field at fullback instead of Dufty. I don't know why. I still have high hopes for Field and would not be letting him go. Maybe Field could take Widdop's spot in 3 or 4 years time?

No Herbert or Garrick?

j0nesy

Bench
I was very happy with Dufty's debut and think he can be our long term fullback. That begs the question as to where does that leave Field and Marsters, who both have very big wraps on them and both have also been earmarked for our future fullback?

With Widdop and Hunt both signed up long term, that means that Field will only be getting an opportunity in the halves if one of the above two get injured. Field is one of the most exciting juniors we have had come through and I don't want us to lose him, but I am now struggling to find a future permanent position for him. He is signed up long term for us and I would not be releasing him. Maybe he could take Widdop's position by 2020?

I have only seen Marsters play one game, it was at fullback. I thought he looked like he could be a good centre, or winger. I hope that he can push his way into first grade in one of those positions. I also have Lomax earmarked as one of our centres by 2019 at the latest. I actually like the idea of a centre pairing of Lomax and Marsters in 2019. I like the idea of a backline in 2019 of

1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Marsters
4 Lomax
5 TBC Someone with speed and size would be ideal, someone like Vunavalu.
6 Widdop
7 Hunt

I want us to have wingers with a bit of size, so they can bring the ball back instead of Dufty and so they can play an extra forward role, when coming out of our own territory. I would not have Kurt Mann as one of our wingers with Dufty or Field at fullback.

I have previously said that we do not need to buy an backs and am more confident now that we don't have to buy and backs.

I will also say that I was impressed with Host today. I am not a big fan of Thompson. I think Host is now ready to take his position and will be even more ready next year. Host looks like a real good edge forward. We still need to buy a really good big dominate prop to partner Vaughan. I think we could be now building towards having one of the best squads in the comp by 2019 we could have something like

1 Dufty
2 TBC
3 Masters/Lafai
4 Lomax
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Frizzell
11 Host
10 Vaughan
9 McInnis
8 TBC We should have bib money to spend of a top prop

14 Field/Aikten
15 Sele
16 Lawrie
17 TBC another good big dominate prop

I have not been this enthusiastic and positive about our club for a very long time.

I just edited this post. For some reason I had Field at fullback instead of Dufty. I don't know why. I still have high hopes for Field and would not be letting him go. Maybe Field could take Widdop's spot in 3 or 4 years time?

Good post. Agree with all your points, particularly in relation to Field. I reckon Garrick and Johns could push for both wing spots, both big bodies. I don't think McDonald is a long term prospect.

Bench
The sad part of all this is that we are going to loose some of the juniors who just won't get a start.
I think all clubs are going to be in the same position

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We have young Dylan Morris coming through too. Looks a plays a bit like his old man.

Given the manner the Dragons shafted his father (Steve), and his older brothers (Brett and Josh), I would be very surprised if Dylan goes close to wearing a SGI first grade jumper. This would be a shame because from the very little I've seen, the kid cam definitely play.

Frank Facer

First Grade
No Herbert or Garrick?

Sorry, I forgot about Herbert and Garrick. I have only seen Garrick play one game and have only seen a few highlights of Herbert. I definitely should have included them in that post. Thanks for reminding me and pointing it out. It would be great if one or either of them can make the leap to first grade and and secure a wing or centre position.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Good post. Agree with all your points, particularly in relation to Field. I reckon Garrick and Johns could push for both wing spots, both big bodies. I don't think McDonald is a long term prospect.

Yeah, I have only seen Johns play one game too. He was playing wing and he performed very well in that game. I have seen him selected at centre for the 20's since then, which I take as a good sign. I probably should have included him in my post too. We have an abundance of good young backs and forwards coming through.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think our prop ranks are very slim ( no pun intended) IMO Sims is not a prop and he's better Suited has an edge forward. Sele it's not a prop he's more of a lock. Host is not a prop either. So, we have Vaughan and LAM and young Lawrie and explains why we were in the market for a prop. I think this is an area where recruitment has really not focused properly as we have many back rowers trying to be props and it's why we drop off straight after halftime.

So four spots left and Hutchison may get one of them so that leaves 3.

So you would assume the players left off contract Dodd, Hind, Glymin, Marketo, Mathews, Havili and Thompson have been told they can move on which a heard rumblings some time ago.

Sailor isn't even close to first grade at this stage.

He has potential but i will be shocked if he plays in first grade next year and if he does and its a massive if he will probably start on the wing.

I doubt Hutch will be ready to play at FG level for another 6-12 months. If he is offered a contract its likely to only be for 12 months.

Am not suggesting Sailor is ready at this time. Most likely 18 months.

I see Mann as the likely back up for Hunt/Widdop.