What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Cap

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Interesting article here. Basically saying 11 clubs in the NRL are at risk of being over the cap next year due to overestimation.
Whilst that is completely the NRL's fault, it leaves us in a fantastic position, as we are (apparently) one of the only clubs that didn't overestimate the cap and have breathing space left, according to Phil Gould.
If this is true, then hats off to Millward. He may not be as incompetent as some people think he is.

It also leaves us in a prime poaching position. If clubs like the Dogs/Roosters/Penrith etc are that far over the cap and have to shed players, we could snare that top-line front rower we've been looking for.
A quote from Gould in the article states -
“When the final cap figure comes down they’ll have to release players and they’re probably going to have to tip in money to get rid of them. The clubs that are looking to release players to get back under the salary cap are not going to be able to release them at their full value, they’re going to have to contribute to that which means these other clubs are going to pick up cheap buys.”
This fits with what Millward has been saying about "being patient" and waiting for the right player to come along due to salary cap pressure on other clubs. It's honestly a masterstroke if true.

Link to article -
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/me...d/news-story/3a7a293947287e3268680ddb437c1005

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Unfortunately these clubs that are over the cap will always find loopholes in the system even if its as straight forward as TPA......and those that cant will in most cases just offload the blokes that have exceeded their used by date....and any of the cast offs may rejuvinate their career under a good coach.... unfortunately thats where it ends for us

OzDragon

Coach
Losing Dugan pretty much guaranteed we will be under the cap by a fair bit anyway.

But that begs the question, besides a forward to replace Packer, who else do we need? A winger in 2 years to replace our left wing legend, but that's it?

SEAT 1A

Bench
It would be nice to see a level playing field regarding the cap. Not getting my hopes up, I'm afraid we will be left at the altar.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Losing Dugan pretty much guaranteed we will be under the cap by a fair bit anyway.

But that begs the question, besides a forward to replace Packer, who else do we need? A winger in 2 years to replace our left wing legend, but that's it?

Only if the right forward is available and is better than what we have coming through. No more journeyman, old plodders or anyone in the back end of their career. Now, I know that narrows down the options, but it's the direction the club need to head towards.

We don't need any wingers for years to come.

JDHD

Juniors
The bulldogs, Raiders and Panther's caps are all f**ked. Sharks are in trouble. Broncos and Roosters have places to hide the money. The rest are in trouble.

The only ones who are definitely under the cap now are us, Newcastle, Wests and Manly. Maybe the Warriors, given they're losing Foran and they work off NZ dollars.

Como Connection

First Grade
The bulldogs, Raiders and Panther's caps are all f**ked. Sharks are in trouble. Broncos and Roosters have places to hide the money. The rest are in trouble.

The only ones who are definitely under the cap now are us, Newcastle, Wests and Manly. Maybe the Warriors, given they're losing Foran and they work off NZ dollars.
Junior Paulo would be nice.
CC

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I don't get how these clubs can spend money on players not knowing the cap and knowing they can be over it. Shows how arrogant and cocky they are and that they know they will get away with it by getting leniency by their ex-CEO or contacts wiithin the NRL. THey reckon it is 2-3 clubs. Dogs being obvious one, Raiders and Broncos. Junior Paulo wants out at Canberra so you never know with him coming to Saints. Canberra players moving to Saints is very common indeed.

Millward not rushing on buying a forward is looking good now as I can see a firesale coming up and Saints will have cash to spend.

I heard a rumour Saints were sniffing around Micahel Liccha. Apparently he was a gun prior to the Dogs and people say once he leaves Des' system will explodes into a gun NRL player. Worth a punt if cheap. Heard this on a Podcast "Fifth and Last". These guys have a pretty good knowledge of the juniors and have wraps on Liccha.

Redhoopz

Juniors
I don't get how these clubs can spend money on players not knowing the cap and knowing they can be over it. Shows how arrogant and cocky they are and that they know they will get away with it by getting leniency by their ex-CEO or contacts wiithin the NRL. THey reckon it is 2-3 clubs. Dogs being obvious one, Raiders and Broncos. Junior Paulo wants out at Canberra so you never know with him coming to Saints. Canberra players moving to Saints is very common indeed.

Millward not rushing on buying a forward is looking good now as I can see a firesale coming up and Saints will have cash to spend.

I heard a rumour Saints were sniffing around Micahel Liccha. Apparently he was a gun prior to the Dogs and people say once he leaves Des' system will explodes into a gun NRL player. Worth a punt if cheap. Heard this on a Podcast "Fifth and Last". These guys have a pretty good knowledge of the juniors and have wraps on Liccha.

Not sold on Lichaa, hasn't shown much to be excited about.... but I wouldn't be surprised if Lichaa is brought in as a depth signing for the Cutters, as I don't think Havili will be there next year and Lichaa would most likely take that position.

possm

Coach

Many cap infringements result in a fine so, the rich Clubs just pay the fine the following season.
The NRL/player managers should manage TPA's not distant friends of Clubs. TPA's should be for national campaigns and should transfer with players to a new club.

watatank

Coach

Was that before we got McInnes? Because there's no chance of this happening now.

We have got McInnes and Robson is one of the best in his age group.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Talking about hookers seems another ex dragon by the name of Cameron King looks to have a bright future saw him score a try for the BIG RED V in the world club challenge ..sad how they make a name for themselves. .after playing their junior fooball for us .has a few bows to his game drop kicks runs from dummy half , kicks well from dummy half.good luck to the boy .sad he's playing for Parramatta.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Talking about hookers seems another ex dragon by the name of Cameron King looks to have a bright future saw him score a try for the BIG RED V in the world club challenge ..sad how they make a name for themselves. .after playing their junior fooball for us .has a few bows to his game drop kicks runs from dummy half , kicks well from dummy half.good luck to the boy .sad he's playing for Parramatta.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

He's not at the Dragons because he couldn't string more than two games together without getting injured. Showed great potential while he was here, but injuries got the better of him.

I'm happy to see him healthy and playing good footy