What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Captain

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'd give it to ET for sure. Guy leads by example on and off the field.

Bit of a smokey but a guy like a Russell Packer could also come under consideration. Hearing Cleary talk about him he is now a prime example of what an NRL professional should be. Great trainer, doesn't drink, real hard head who doesn't take a backward step.

I'd give it to ET for sure. Guy leads by example on and off the field.

Bit of a smokey but a guy like a Russell Packer could also come under consideration. Hearing Cleary talk about him he is now a prime example of what an NRL professional should be. Great trainer, doesn't drink, real hard head who doesn't take a backward step.
Human garbage

magpie_man

Juniors
My vote goes to Lawrence:
A long-standing and loyal Clubman.
An intelligent and articulate speaker who represents the club well with the media and sponsors.
Of impeccable character both on and off the field which not only helps with interacting with the referees but also sets a good example for the rest of the team and hopefully will limit any sort of off-field atrocities.
Finally, the intelligent lines he runs, at least to me, illustrate that he has a keen understanding of the nuances of the game and that he would have a good feel for making crucial on-field decisions at key moments.

Clifferd

Coach
Human garbage

You can't say you haven't done certain things you regret

To me what he's done to rehab himself and make himself a better person is a true indication of what sorta guy he is

A one off drunken mistake is not. If he had done it more than once I'd agree

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
An intelligent and articulate speaker who represents the club well with the media and sponsors.
Of impeccable character both on and off the field which not only helps with interacting with the referees but also sets a good example for the rest of the team and hopefully will limit any sort of off-field atrocities.
Finally, the intelligent lines he runs, at least to me, illustrate that he has a keen understanding of the nuances of the game and that he would have a good feel for making crucial on-field decisions at key moments.
Yep, I agree, but more club captain than first team captain.

Reynolds for mine.

Lawrence is not guaranteed to be playing first grade and Taylor, from an outsider looking in, appears to be a bit of an introvert who leads by example. This is fine but so much of the job is talking to/manipulating the refs. I don't see Taylor as having his in his personality.

With the added responsibility of the C you would hope Reynolds would remove some of the rubbish from his game. I think he has this in him.

We're not spoilt for choice though.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
After we have spent so long transitioning, it seems entirely pointless and bordering on lunacy to appoint a stop-gap captain to then have another transition 12 months later. Pick Lawrence and stick with him until the end of his contract (at least 2019). Or, pick Reynolds and have him represent the pillar of our resurgence. I'll be happy with either.

BrotherJim05

Bench
ET and Lawrence co-captains with Reynolds as VC.

If Lawrence doesn't perform or needs to be moved to bench then there won't be any demotion as ET will just continue as captain. Putting Reynolds as VC makes a statement that we consider him a future captain

Cannot argue any of those points. He'll be in the mix somewhere next year.

After 2018 they can choose between ET or Reynolds. I would prefer ET though.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
After we have spent so long transitioning, it seems entirely pointless and bordering on lunacy to appoint a stop-gap captain to then have another transition 12 months later. Pick Lawrence and stick with him until the end of his contract (at least 2019). Or, pick Reynolds and have him represent the pillar of our resurgence. I'll be happy with either.
The transition hasn't finished and won't be until the end of next year. So it makes complete sense to have Lawrence as captain in the year that our whole side is revamped and new structures and combinations are being created. Next year is about being competitive and pushing for a top 8 spot. 2019 is when we will be fully expecting to be a genuine finals contender. Thats when I'd have a new captain.

Also its good to see how everyone performs and whether the responsibility of captain helps or hinders their game.

We've already seen that Lawrence plays better when captain and I'd be making him the captain now.

In 2019 id like to think we buy some back rowers better than Lawrence.

Radical Rat

Juniors
ET and Lawrence co-captains with Reynolds as VC.

If Lawrence doesn't perform or needs to be moved to bench then there won't be any demotion as ET will just continue as captain. Putting Reynolds as VC makes a statement that we consider him a future captain

This option makes the most sense to me. Lock it in Ivan!

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I just don't get why wouldn't give it to Reynolds off the bat if he is inevitably going to get in 12 months anyway. Not showing much respect to Lawrence to bestow the captaincy and then strip it from him. Reynold's should get it straight away and I think he will.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't get why wouldn't give it to Reynolds off the bat if he is inevitably going to get in 12 months anyway. Not showing much respect to Lawrence to bestow the captaincy and then strip it from him. Reynold's should get it straight away and I think he will.
He's never been a captain before
He's never played at this club before
We're still doing a rebuild next year
Have a leader like ET or Lawrence introduce him to the role over a year

It will make him a better leader instead of just dumping it on him from the get go.

Only a very select few occasions can you hand such a responsibility to a person at a new club who has never been a captain before and have it work.

Just think for a second. We've been making stupid impulse mistakes for too bloody long. Why not, just for once for a f**king change, take the time to do a job properly. If Reynolds is to be the future captain, and I have no issue with that, than I want him to be fully prepared for the role, not just dump on it when he walks in the door the first day, without even satying hello to his team mates.

And Lawrence is a complete professional. He has always put the club first and that can not be denied. He will be honoured to take on the role of interim captain and he will be just as honoured to help groom the next long term captain.

When have you heard Lawrence bitch about the club? We have been blessed with the perfect situation to make this work brilliantly for us and you want to rush in gung ho and you and I both know that such a plan is a high risk of failing.

What if Reynolds gets the captaincy on day 1 and struggles with the responsibility and it sees him play like Jordan Rankin? Do we want to go through that whole saga? Of course not. Give the kid a chance to learn the ropes, earn the trust and respect of his team mates.

Then make him captain.

How is that unreasonable?

BrotherJim05

Bench
100% agree with MU. The only unfortunate issue is whether or not Lawrence will be able to perform week in week out in the starting 13. That being said, he has shown periods of his old form and if he can get his workrate up he could finally develop into the damaging back rower we know he can be.

Fingers crossed Ivan can get the best out of Lawrence as nothing would make me more happy than seeing this legend lift a premiership trophy

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence has shown that when handed the captaincy, his game improves. I think one year as captain will see us get the last bit of genuine starting back rower out of him.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much are the dragons offering for a team to take him?
I wouldn't accept any deal for Marketo unless muzby is included. Play hardball.

In return the Dragons can have Lovett and Naiqama

I have heard Marketo is likely to be in the ESL next year