2018 Captain

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by Noname36, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Joel-22

Joel-22 Juniors

I was impressed with Sione. Considering it was his first hit out at centre for over 12 months I thought he had some really classy touches and was physical in defence. He isn't slow by any means but not a flyer. He has great footwork and is incredibly strong. I'm tipping him for a very big year

2. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

I understand people's concerns that Buhrer is a bit small but I think he provides a point of difference in our pack. Fitzy and Guerra are both big solid hole-running back rowers but I feel that Buhrer adds a bit of ball playing to our edges and he's also able to create second phase play with regularity which I like.

I know this was ages ago and the game has probably changed a fair bit since then but I remember when the Tigers won that premiership in '05 and they did it with an undersize pack that was virtually full of no-names at the time but they managed to do it by keeping the ball alive and their forwards were able to create enough second phase play to get their playmakers into the game.

Our side isn't quite as small as that but I think there is definitely a place for Buhrer's skills in our pack.

3. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 Bench

I think Buhrer starts on the edge as C and Fitz starts the year in reserves. Not to say form wont dictate what happens after that.

4. macavity

macavity Coach

That’s really the swing. I won’t lose sleep either way, but can’t carry both. If we aren’t carrying him as 9 cover, Buhrer has to play 80 or reserves.

5. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Buhrer was my pick as solo Captain but now not sure, all being fit, he will be in first 17, can't have Levi, Griffin and Buhrer in 17. Buhrer could be club Captain and not game Captain but doubt that would be tried so it's Sione or someone like Guerra. My 8-17 would be, Dan, Griff, Lillyman, Fitz, Guerra, Barnett, Levi, Esee, Jacob, King due to needing strong bigger forwards.

6. Burwood

Burwood Bench

I know it’s a bit off topic, but I’d like to see Levi, Fitz, Saifiti and Ese’ese on the bench with Heighington in reserves. Starting backrow of Buhrer and Guerra with Barnett at lock.

slotmachine likes this.
  7. Spot On

Spot On Coach

I'd like to see an 80 min hooker. Bench would be awesome if it ever happened. Buhrer could play backrow, hooker and halves if needed. Stack the other 3 bench positions with J Saf, King and Herman.

8. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

I think Heighington will start the season in our 17 because Brown will want an old head on the bench to come on and help steady the ship when we need it especially in the first half of the season. But I think that by the end of the year Heighington will be back in reserves because we will have a more settled line up and I can see someone like King taking his spot as the season progresses. I would be surprised if Brown hasn't already had that conversation with Heighington and I'm sure Heighington came here knowing full well what his role was.

macavity likes this.
  9. Shenry4

Shenry4 Juniors

I don't like the idea of giving the captaincy to someone who is still under pressure to cement his spot in first grade. He was named on the bench in the trials and whats the point of the captain who doesn't start? With Barnett coming back, Fitzy, Guerra, Hermen Ese Ese hes under pressure. Also Slade Griffin and Levi cover the dummy halves now I don't think its a good idea.

10. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

I think Brown just wanted to give Fitzy a run to see if he could cement himself a bench spot. I would be surprised if Buhrer was coming off the bench in round 1. I imagine Brown wanted to see how other guys went and felt that Buhrer already has his spot locked away.

I'm just speculating of course but it would be weird to name him as captain then drop him to the bench before the season has even started.

slotmachine likes this.
  11. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Buhrer, all being fit may not start in 17 let alone 13, we need a big mobile pack, he will be in a two out of three with Levi and Griffin, play Fitz, Guerra, Barnett with Levi/Griffin, Esee, Jacob, King on bench. Buhrer only makes firsts if Levi or Griffin have problem. If other forwards out injured etc then Heighinton covers

12. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Because of what I said above then Sione Captain or Guerra if you want someone close to the action, Barnett outside chance..

13. PhilGould

PhilGould Juniors

Brown just announced Jamie Buhrer & Mitchell Pearce as co-captains at the season launch.

14. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

Happy with that - didn’t want Pearce as sole captain as there’s already too much pressure on him and obviously Buhrer may not always be on the field/in the team. Also allows Sione to go back to doing what every other 22 year old in the game is, working on his own game.

15. Haffa

Haffa Guest

Just got the email. Great move.

16. Choppy182

Choppy182 Juniors

Another good decision. One Captain of the forwards and one captain of the backs.

17. macavity

macavity Coach

Or one for first grade and one for reserve grade.

18. Alex28

Alex28 Coach

You are kidding yourself if you think Buhrer is playing reggies...

19. Spot On

Spot On Coach

Only way I'd have Buhrer in firsts now is if we ever get an 80 min hooker. That would free a bench spot for him.

20. macavity

macavity Coach

Guess we will see. I hope he doesn’t... he will start the year in first grade and if he stays there it means we are doing well (or have injuries I guess)