What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I know something the kids look forward to at some of these AFL games, is they are often allowed to have a kick on the ground after the games. I know that holds some big appeal to families as a novelty. Are spectators allowed on any of the suburban NRL grounds after the game? Could be an additional attraction to have a play on the same turf as their heroes every now and then?
More common lately, although not so much at ANZ. Most suburban grounds do it a handful of times a year.

With the AFL - it's sponsored "Maccas Kick to Kick" and they actually produce a list of games/venues where it's likely to happen (obviously its subject to weather conditions), but I believe they don't allow it at all on the MCG during July due to the weather.

It'd be great if the concept could get a sponsor and become a regular thing with a list people could access. Those sorts of things definitely help attendance culture.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
More common lately, although not so much at ANZ. Most suburban grounds do it a handful of times a year.

With the AFL - it's sponsored "Maccas Kick to Kick" and they actually produce a list of games/venues where it's likely to happen (obviously its subject to weather conditions), but I believe they don't allow it at all on the MCG during July due to the weather.

It'd be great if the concept could get a sponsor and become a regular thing with a list people could access. Those sorts of things definitely help attendance culture.

Not only weather dependent but also a certain threshold on expected crowd number so they don't risk some safety issues with more numbers on the ground than they can manage. Would never happen after a blockbuster game, was brought in to incentivize improving attendances on low drawing games.

taipan

Referee
I know something the kids look forward to at some of these AFL games, is they are often allowed to have a kick on the ground after the games. I know that holds some big appeal to families as a novelty. Are spectators allowed on any of the suburban NRL grounds after the game? Could be an additional attraction to have a play on the same turf as their heroes every now and then?

Kids on the field after Sharks games ,provided not a late game.

Raiderdave

First Grade
so
round 19

usually a dogs v Parra game on a Thursday would attract plenty of why are we doing this comments , but seeing as its now the wooden spoon battle the crowd was always going to be shit
would still get 16 or 17K on a sat or sunday in a battle for last , but not anywhere near as affected as it could have been now its the splinter cup battle.

Thurs Parra V Dogs 12K
Fri 6pm Sharks V Raiders 12K
Fri 8pm Brisb V Penrith 28K
Sat 3pm Newc V Titans 14K
Sat 5.30pm Tigers V Souths 20K
Sat 7.30pm Cows V Dragons 14K
Sun 2pm Warriors V Storm 20K
Sun 4pm Manly V Roosters 12K

Last edited:

Marlins

Juniors
Thurs Parra V Dogs 7k
Fri 6pm Sharks V Raiders 11k
Fri 8pm Brisb V Penrith 30k
Sat 3pm Newc V Titans 12k
Sat 5.30pm Tigers V Souths 18k
Sat 7.30pm Cows V Dragons 12k
Sun 2pm Warriors V Storm 26k
Sun 4pm Manly V Roosters 10k

taipan

Referee
I am not too optimistic about the Dogs v Parra.Fingers crossed they crack the 5 figure mark.Less than 10,000 "ain; t " a good look.

Parra V Dogs 10.5K geez I wish they were semi contenders, instead of two disaster zones this year
Sharks v Raiders 10k crap time ,possibility of rain.Hopefully school hols assists.
Brisbane v Penrith 27k.Broncos did themselves a disservice last week.
Knights v Titans 14k Knights fans always the best supporters of their team
Tigers v Souths 16k should be more, and worth more.
Cows v Dragons 14k support for Thurston
Warriors v Storm 25k Think this game after Warriors last weekend will be around the mark.
Manly v Roosters 11k Time slot may help, no chance of the semis for the Silvers won't.

Just so damn hard to estimate with this weekends offerings.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How it the South’s v Tigers game not going to be at least 20,000?

Like, what more do you need to go to this game?
Souths fans barely showed up a week ago when they were a sure thing to roll Canterbury, they're fickle even when first.

Not to mention I doubt one win will be enough to propel Tigers fans into believing the season's not already over.

franklin2323

Immortal
I can’t see the problem of kids get in free
As long as they are not taking the seat of a person who could pay for it.
Those stadiums are empty anyway so it wouldn’t matter a bit.
In suburban grounds they’ll hassle their parents for food or merch at some point.

Like I stated above though
The clubs should be compensated in some way for kids free tix.
The membership idea is my best bet.
Walk ups don’t get in free.

No reason all GA can't have this. Still leaves seats for paying guests

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Given the rareness of the game time for BRoncos fans you'd have hoped they would have really marketed this as a family day and given kids cheap tickets and promotions, could have pushed it over the 40k maybe and given young families a rare chance to attend a game at a reasonable time?

Everyone bankrupt from Origin tickets haha

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hard pressed to get anyone to go to ANZ
Not enough flags around ... and that’s just to start with.

Oh yeh, the area around the stadium should be a barren and lifeless place.

When fans go home, the thought they should take with them is "people watching on TV didnt miss a thing. There was no atmosphere, no spirit of community. Next week im gonna stay home on my couch, at least the TV has a better view"

You are a genius...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes the RL watching culture in Sydney is totally different. In my visits to inner Sydney, the pubs are packed with people watching RL (and other sports). In Melbourne, the pubs all empty as everyone heads to the match, then fill up again straight after. Not sure if this is a Sydney/Melbourne thing or a RL/AFL thing?

Id say the 2 are the same thing...

RL has been the biggest spectator sport in Sydney for a century and Sydney clubs have never cared about crowds. In other states, "successful" clubs were the ones that could get the most people into the ground. In Sydney, the wealthiest clubs were just the ones with the most poker machines.

No one gave a shit about developing an attendance culture because no one needed to.