What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

horrie hastings

First Grade
Friday 7:30pm
Saturday 3:00pm
Sunday 3:00pm

You know it makes sense.

Used to love when they had 5 games on the Sunday at 3pm and the ground announcer would give you score updates from the other matches, ah the good old days way before we could check score updates via our phones.

adamkungl

Immortal
TV funding the sport to such a large extent is a typical short sighted RL idea. Too many sacrifices in other areas of the sport to wring every last $ from Tv stations.

Roughly speaking... (some details might be wrong but the overall point will stand)
We have a $1b TV deal over 5 years
$200mil a year
Of which clubs will get about $160mil
$10mil each

Lets say we had an $800 mil TV deal (shock horror) but we limited timeslots to Fri-Sun and clubs received a fair share of each FTA timeslot.
That leaves
$160 mil a year
Clubs receiving $128mil
$8 mil each

$2 mil less!
But... how many ticket sales does that actually work out to?
66,666 x $30 tickets
5,555 each of 12 home games

It's a large but not insurmountable number.
It also doesnt take into account increased memberships, merchandise and food sales, sponsorships. Who knows how much someone like Canberra or Auckland might increase their sponsorship value with a fair share of TV games?
Nor does it take into account possible cost cutting (eg. the proposed football spend cap).

I've always advocated players and clubs getting their fair share of the available cash but increasing the available cash from one revenue source at any and all costs is not necessarily in the best interests of the game.
The sacrifices constantly made for a larger TV deal limits clubs ability to make their own money as well as numerous other parts of the game.

Used to love when they had 5 games on the Sunday at 3pm and the ground announcer would give you score updates from the other matches, ah the good old days way before we could check score updates via our phones.

Yeah.

I'd be watching Souths vs someone, and the ground announcer comes on:

At Brookvale, Illawarra have just gone in. 14-all, kick to come, ten minutes to play.

Cheers around the ground.

Then he'd eventually come back on - ...and Illawarra have defeated Manly 16-14. Big cheers, because it had been a boil over.

There were always groans when the Broncos won. LOL.

For the teams not getting an equal amount of FTA, IMHO, it basically says your team isn't as good.

So there's less opportunity for their fans / members to see their team on FTA.

Less opportunity for commercial / sponsorship opportunities, etc.

And in the end, people shrug because it is Friday Night Broncos again and you find something else to do, or disengage. Not good for TV, not good for their advertisers, and in the long run, not good for crowds.

Shit...TV could be doing so much more just to engage fans at the games so they get their ugly mugs or dumb signs on TV. But no.

Meanwhile, match day is bleeding fans.

And the NRL does very little to rectify any of this.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah.

I'd be watching Souths vs someone, and the ground announcer comes on:

At Brookvale, Illawarra have just gone in. 14-all, kick to come, ten minutes to play.

Cheers around the ground.

Then he'd eventually come back on - ...and Illawarra have defeated Manly 16-14. Big cheers, because it had been a boil over.

There were always groans when the Broncos won. LOL.

Yeah no matter what ground you were at there would at least be one upset score that would come across the pa from the ground announcer which would lead to big cheers.

Canard

Immortal
For the teams not getting an equal amount of FTA, IMHO, it basically says your team isn't as good.

So there's less opportunity for their fans / members to see their team on FTA.

Less opportunity for commercial / sponsorship opportunities, etc.

And in the end, people shrug because it is Friday Night Broncos again and you find something else to do, or disengage. Not good for TV, not good for their advertisers, and in the long run, not good for crowds.

Shit...TV could be doing so much more just to engage fans at the games so they get their ugly mugs or dumb signs on TV. But no.

Meanwhile, match day is bleeding fans.

And the NRL does very little to rectify any of this.

How do you explain the Dogs and Tigers getting so many games then?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Tots disagree...

Suburban grounds for Thursday/early friday slots (basically all Suburban grounds are good for) and heaps of weekend things in the bigger stadium. If anyone has a breakdown of who gets how many of which slots, which staduiums get which slots id love to see it.

I think the point is if the NRL really had control of the draw and cared about crowds you would have no Friday 6pm, an earlier kick off Sunday arvo and would seriously looking at Thursday.

All the nrl are doing is putting names in boxes for the tv guys.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Its geniused in respect of getting another 7-8K to the game ( that's on average what we are talking about right?? a 7-8K crowd against a 14-15K crowd), but obviously this is weighed up against the extra gazillions bought into the game via TV money to broadcast these games.

I'm not a fan of the Friday 6pm slot by any means, but what would replace it? Sunday 6pm is the only slot I can see to ensure that there is no crossover of games being played a the same time...

Sorry but why do we need every game on a different time? Answer: TV.

I do not see a reason why you could not have 2 games with mutually exclusive fan bases on at the same time either Sat or Sun to f**k off Thurs and Fri 6pm.

Broncos v Titans would not cannibalise a Knights v Raiders game for example. The neutrals can watch what they want and I bet the ratings would not move much but the crowds would.....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Knights have a solid attendee base but I don't think they're in the league of the big Sydney clubs as ratings pullers.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Good to see the Raiders get more than their standard ZERO, but this shit makes it pretty damn hard for the smaller teams to attrached sponsors and fans.

Its kinds of a self-fulfilling prophecy; "The popular teams deserve the FTA slots", they get all of the exposure and the smaller teams struggle to attrached new fans, "The popular teams deserve the FTA slots", and so on......

Complete bullshit. The roosters are one of the least supported teams out there and they are given that leg up?

FMD it isnt just salary cap an tpa. The whole thing stinks.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Knights have a solid attendee base but I don't think they're in the league of the big Sydney clubs as ratings pullers.

Erm. What u are saying is half a million fans in the Hunter Valley is worth less that half a million fans in Bankstown, Lakemba and surrounds right?

I call bullshit...

Canard

Immortal

Even if this was the case, which I highly doubt. Why are the NRL scheduling for ratings? It's not their concern.

More likely it's favoritism

Raiderdave

First Grade
Do the viewing audiences actually reflect this on fta? What is the % difference of say Souths v panthers compared to souths v raiders?
metro is up with game 1 , regionals down ( due to the panthers more so )
regionals are up , metro is down in game 2 so its negligible

more money to 9 from advertising in game 1 though due to the higher cost of advertising in the capitals & Sydney being the highest by far.

Last edited: