What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

typicalfan

Coach
FWIW I am not satisfied with an ok draw. Being an improvement on previous years is not an achievement when in previous years tv chose.

no name

Coach
This draw highlights the fact that it doesn't matter if we have control of the draw when we agree to shit time slots in the TV deal. No matter what you do we still have to deal with Thursday night games and Friday 6pm games. This year the draw has done a little better in terms of getting big matches in good timeslots and I expect an improvement but the reality is we're still hamstrung by shitty timeslots.

Having said that the draw still leaves a lot to be desired. Putting big matches like sharks/dragons, roosters/rabbits and cowboys/broncos on a Thursdays night is a big f**k you to fans. Certain teams have been totally screwed over like the cowboys and knights.

Basically this is what I want to see improved in the future (I'm well aware some things can't change till the next TV deal).

-Big derby games should be given priority of timeslots. Preferably on Sunday arvos (except in the case of say the cowboys if they request a Saturday or Friday). Something like roosters v rabbits could lose as much as 20K from the crowd due to being on a Thursday.

-More even spread of FTA. Don't give me this bullshit about some teams rating more. They rate more because they're shown more. NRL fans are basically groomed to only watch certain teams. We need to go back to how things used to be, Friday should be match of the round not who's facing the bulldogs or broncos (and the select other few).

-SOO needs to be standalone and f**k off bye rounds. Hopefully this year it's a massive success and the NRL finally does what it should have done a decade ago.

-Remove Thursday games and Friday 6pm games. I don't care if it adds more to the TV deal, there are other factors to consider. The loss of TV money is offset by a huge increase in crowds, merchandise sales and various other factors. It also leads to less shitty crowds which are slowly driving fans away from the game on TV and at the ground.

I feel like writing more but it's pointless because nothing we say will impact anything and it's clear the NRL has made up its mind.

I'll say this, it wasn't just crowds that went backwards last season. Despite us bending over backwards for the TV networks ratings also dropped. There is only so much you can cater for TV and f**k over fans before people just tune out.

My opinion is that a lot of the changes we're suggesting to prove crowds will also improve TV ratings. Big crowds, a happy fan base and general positivity around the game lead to better TV ratings.

Thus goes across all codes, the big hyped matches with huge crowds tend to also rate really highly. It creates a great atmosphere and hype around the game.

Watching a match in an empty stadium turns fans away at the ground and at home and if we keep going down this path things will get worse.
While taking less tv money is obviously a loss in the short term, the long term benefits of having such a popular game would increase the worth of the game both on tv and other areas.
Just need to ignore the Daily Tele f**kwits who would absolutely give it to the person who makes such a decision.

taipan

Referee
I'm OK with the draw,despite some time slots I'm not happy with.You can't please 16 teams for every time slot.
If they got rid of 6pm Friday,I'd be over the moon and planets further north.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I'm OK with the draw,deopsite some time slots I'm not happy with.You can't please 16 teams for every time slot.

Thursday game is the worst of the lot. At least Friday6pm is at the start of the weekend. Not ideal but better than Thursday.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm OK with the draw,despite some time slots I'm not happy with.You can't please 16 teams for every time slot.

Yeh, i havent heard any complaints i can take seriously about the fixtures.

Fix the timeslots in the next deal and the draw will be as good as it can be....

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2017/12/19/roosters-to-play-in-adelaide-for-two-more-years/

Roosters confirm that the Return of the Cronk:tm: will happen in Adelaide on June 29.

Week after origin 2. Hopefully no injuries and all the players from origin play. It should be a sellout with 2 gf quality teams.

The past couple years esp with the Broncs, storm have had some great match ups around origin but due to origin duty the game is a bit blah. I guess the origin weekend next year will help that slightly.

Valheru

Coach
Week after origin 2. Hopefully no injuries and all the players from origin play. It should be a sellout with 2 gf quality teams.

The past couple years esp with the Broncs, storm have had some great match ups around origin but due to origin duty the game is a bit blah. I guess the origin weekend next year will help that slightly.

There is no way it will be a sell out.

It drew 21k this year and any improvement on that would be fantastic given the first of these types of occasions are rarely surpassed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see Adelaide getting another game after success of last year. Only leaves Hobart without any NRL game out of the capital cities. Id rather seeing Roosters play more in Gosford but good on them for taking a game to SA.