What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It’s a public holiday in QLD today, nothing is open.

Today would’ve been a perfect opportunity for the Broncos, Cowboys or Titans to have a game this arvo and would’ve out drawn the 22k at Suncorp on Thursday night.

If NSW can have a game for Queen’s Birthday Monday, QLD can have one today.
In theory a great idea, but Brisbane and Titans both have the double header on Saturday (locked in before the draw was finalised) and wouldn't have accepted a 5-day turnaround. The other option - Cowboys - Monday arvo? With fans coming from far & wide as is often discussed here?

Nope.

Stallion

First Grade
It’s a public holiday in QLD today, nothing is open.

Today would’ve been a perfect opportunity for the Broncos, Cowboys or Titans to have a game this arvo and would’ve out drawn the 22k at Suncorp on Thursday night.

If NSW can have a game for Queen’s Birthday Monday, QLD can have one today.

Or better still a game last night in Qld!

Timmah

Staff member
Its a public holiday in Qld today, so not the worst time for a Sunday night game.
Aware of that (it's why this thread got bumped). Still doesn't change that the likely opponent would've been an interstate side.

Stallion

First Grade
You've spent the best part of the season whinging about shit timeslots and just advocated for a Sunday night game. lol

? Public holiday in Qld on the Monday! Wow at least if you are having a go at me do it with some thought!? Read the context of the discourse and don't just crap on for the sake of it.

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
You've spent the best part of the season whinging about shit timeslots and just advocated for a Sunday night game. lol

Isn't the grand final on a Sunday Night before a public holiday.

Should be games of the night of a public holiday. Would rate better than 6pm Friday.

Timmah

Staff member
? Public holiday in Qld on the Monday! Wow at least if you are having a go at me do it with some thought!? Read the context of the discourse and don't just crap on for the sake of it.
It would do you well to look at my responses to said discourse already, proving why it would be a bad idea.

If it were a nationwide public holiday or at least a few states - maybe. But under the circumstances - no.

Timmah

Staff member
Isn't the grand final on a Sunday Night before a public holiday.

Should be games of the night of a public holiday. Would rate better than 6pm Friday.
Yes, the Grand Final is.

It's also the Grand Final. Bit different to a bog standard club game.

Stallion

First Grade
It would do you well to look at my responses to said discourse already, proving why it would be a bad idea.

If it were a nationwide public holiday or at least a few states - maybe. But under the circumstances - no.

? A game in a state where a public holiday is the next day is ok! Surely it's more of a local relevance. If you are suggesting that because elsewhere that no public holiday is occuring then I find that not taking into account the local scenario for fans in the state where the holiday exists? The NRL grandfinal was staged for many decades without Queensland having a public holiday on the Monday? Understand it's not ideal to have elsewhere not with the same holiday but it is doable and relevant to the local fanbase. Added to this would be a very popular tv timeslot on Sunday night for fans everywhere In OZ.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
? A game in a state where a public holiday is the next day is ok! Surely it's more of a local relevance. If you are suggesting that because elsewhere that no public holiday is occuring then I find that not taking into account the local scenario for fans in the state where the holiday exists? The NRL grandfinal was staged for many decades without Queensland having a public holiday on the Monday? Understand it's not ideal to have elsewhere not with the same holiday but it is doable and relevant to the local fanbase. Added to this would be a very popular tv timeslot on Sunday night for fans everywhere In OZ.
Ignoring the absurdity of you comparing a Grand Final to a regular club game in Round 9...

- Local relevance is all well and good if you can gather good away support. The only way that works is if it's Broncos v Titans - which they already did on a Sunday night on the Easter weekend. Guess what? Only 30k turned up.

- 'very popular TV timeslot'? According to MediaWeek Australia, the match attracted 285k which by my analysis is yes, above average, but I wouldn't say it's a "very popular slot". Saturday 7:30 games often attract similar viewership.

Stallion

First Grade
Ignoring the absurdity of you comparing a Grand Final to a regular club game in Round 9...

- Local relevance is all well and good if you can gather good away support. The only way that works is if it's Broncos v Titans - which they already did on a Sunday night on the Easter weekend. Guess what? Only 30k turned up.

- 'very popular TV timeslot'? According to MediaWeek Australia, the match attracted 285k which by my analysis is yes, above average, but I wouldn't say it's a "very popular slot". Saturday 7:30 games often attract similar viewership.

You do realise that plenty of Sydney based clubs have fans around Australia and particularly in Queensland? So your logic suggests that a non Qld club would not draw a crowd on a Sunday when prior to a public holiday Monday? Think you have underestimated the outside of Sydney support for such clubs. I'd say St George Illawarra would attract a big crowd in Qld. And so would other well known Sydney clubs. Even the Melbourne Storm would draw well.If you dont think this is so? We dissagree.

Timmah

Staff member
You do realise that plenty of Sydney based clubs have fans around Australia and particularly in Queensland? So your logic suggests that a non Qld club would not draw a crowd on a Sunday when prior to a public holiday Monday? Think you have underestimated the outside of Sydney support for such clubs. I'd say St George Illawarra would attract a big crowd in Qld. And so would other well known Sydney clubs. Even the Melbourne Storm would draw well.If you dont think this is so? We dissagree.
I can't help you if you think reducing the likelihood of travelling fans attending an away match in QLD is a good idea.

I also can't help you if you can't even spell disagree properly. I fear for the youth of tomorrow.

Stallion

First Grade
I can't help you if you think reducing the likelihood of travelling fans attending an away match in QLD is a good idea.

I also can't help you if you can't even spell disagree properly. I fear for the youth of tomorrow.

? Not even contemplating travelling fans!? I'm discussing fans of such clubs already located in Queensland!

Last edited: