What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 First Grade 17

BrotherJim05

Bench
*indicates they fight it out for a FG spot

1. Lolo
2. Nofa
3. Marsters/Miline*
4. Suli
5. Fonua/DWZ*
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. MM/Liddle*
10. Mautilino
11. Lawrence
12. Mcqueen
13. ET

14. Eisentuth
15. Twal
16. Sue
17. Whoever is needed (MCK, Aloai, Benji, Liddle/MM etc)

If Grant or Woods stays then will have to shuffle the forwards around a bit

Tiger Ted

Bench
Fonua should trump MWZ for the other wing spot.

Marsters has to b in the 17 & is more than capable of keeping Milne out of the centres.If Milne were to play so well that he gives IC no choice but to select him then Marsters must b on the bench.This kid has the X factor.

Sue has to lift his game coz based on '17 form he could easily miss the 17 in '18.Geez it's good to have depth !! To think we haven't spent our cap & hopefully will pick up another quality player or 2 for next season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
1. Lolohea
2. Fonua
3. Suli
4. Marsters
5. Nofoaluma
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Twal
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Lawrence
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth
14. Sue
15. Matulino
16. Aloiai
17. Marshall

Maybe a bit different to others but I think this is a very well balanced side.

My points:

* Milne might prove himself in the trials but Marsters is too good to be left out. I think he will end up in the backrow but he has outright killed it at right center.
* Warriors fans are saying Matulino prefers to start from the bench. He has mainly done that for the warriors and his stats are awesome. If he starts from there it means we can always have either he or Packer on
* With that you need a new starter, assuming Grant doesn't stay (although I hope he does), I think Twal is the ideal starting prop. He is a great defender and no nonsense. To me he is more of a worker then an impact prop and I think he is already good enough
* Eisenhuth and Sue battle out the 13. Both have different strengths and in some games if you want some grunt/impact Sue might start. However in general I think Eiso has gone ahead of Jesse
* Taylor and Lawrence get the edge spots over McQueen an MCK. Both will likely play a big part in the year as Lawrence is injury riddled
* Liddle to me is leap years ahead of McIllwrick, I know he seems to be a bit of fan favourite but I don't see one facet of his game that's superior to Jakes
* Yesterday reminded me how much impact Aloiai can have. Plus having a guy who can play center or middle on the bench is vital
* Benji will be great off the bench and with this team he can play a number of roles. Take Liddle off for 20, put JRey into 9 and Benji to 6. Give Lawrence/ET a break, Marsters goes in one and Benji to center. It won't be a wasted spot like Littlejohn is now

Looking at this side we still have the following left out: MWZ, Thompson, Milne, Gamble, McQueen, MCK, Felisse, McIllwrick. All of these guys have shown they can handle first grade, the only one who hasn't is a good chance of winning the QLD Cup player of the year.

Really pumped for next year. We've already seen what Ivan can do with a side he inherited half through a year. Can't wait to see what he does with a side he wants and a full off season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Good side but Marsters is a must imo.

Put him on the bench in the utility role as a fill in for injuries / impact player

Reminds me of a stockier Jack Bird. Can create something from nothing

I said the Jack Bird comparison yesteday too. I've been blown away by Esan. I knew the guy was good but after we'd seen Liolavave and Funaki promise so much and deliver nothing I was a bit hesitant. However the guy has been amazingly good. Our right side defence is a million times better since he's gone there and he offers such a variation in attack. Short balls, offloads, grubbers, what about the 30m cut out passes yesterday?!?

Clifferd

Coach
1. Lolohea
2. Fonua
3. Suli
4. Marsters
5. Nofoaluma
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Twal
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Lawrence
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth
14. Sue
15. Matulino
16. Aloiai
17. Marshall

My points:

* Milne might prove himself in the trials but Marsters is too good to be left out. I think he will end up in the backrow but he has outright killed it at right center.
* Warriors fans are saying Matulino prefers to start from the bench. He has mainly done that for the warriors and his stats are awesome. If he starts from there it means we can always have either he or Packer on
* With that you need a new starter, assuming Grant doesn't stay (although I hope he does), I think Twal is the ideal starting prop. He is a great defender and no nonsense. To me he is more of a worker then an impact prop and I think he is already good enough
* Eisenhuth and Sue battle out the 13. Both have different strengths and in some games if you want some grunt/impact Sue might start. However in general I think Eiso has gone ahead of Jesse
* Taylor and Lawrence get the edge spots over McQueen an MCK. Both will likely play a big part in the year as Lawrence is injury riddled
* Liddle to me is leap years ahead of McIllwrick, I know he seems to be a bit of fan favourite but I don't see one facet of his game that's superior to Jakes
* Yesterday reminded me how much impact Aloiai can have. Plus having a guy who can play center or middle on the bench is vital
* Benji will be great off the bench and with this team he can play a number of roles. Take Liddle off for 20, put JRey into 9 and Benji to 6. Give Lawrence/ET a break, Marsters goes in one and Benji to center. It won't be a wasted spot like Littlejohn is now

Looking at this side we still have the following left out: MWZ, Thompson, Milne, Gamble, McQueen, MCK, Felisse, McIllwrick. All of these guys have shown they can handle first grade, the only one who hasn't is a good chance of winning the QLD Cup player of the year.

Really pumped for next year. We've already seen what Ivan can do with a side he inherited half through a year. Can't wait to see what he does with a side he wants and a full off season.

I'm a huge fan of that team actually. Has a real attacking feel to it aswell as strong defensive players. When Packer & Twal come off we won't lose much as we have Aloiai & Matulino (or Sue to come on) who are more than capable as the starting props.

You've got Fonua, Nofoluama, Suli and either Marsters/Suli helping the forwards out. Honestly they're all like having another forward taking a hit up, all big bodies.

Marshall can provide the X factor when/if we need it and even do a bit of dummy half work.

Milne to me is a tricky one. I've actually really been impressed with some of his performances its just he seems to be out of favour at the dragons for similar reasons Ava is out of favour here I guess. I guess he's gonna have to prove himself in the trials/pre season because I'd love to see him in the team. Really rate him

Tiger05

First Grade
1. Lolohea
2. Fonua
3. Suli
4. Marsters
5. Nofoaluma
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Twal
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Lawrence
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth
14. Sue
15. Matulino
16. Aloiai
17. Marshall

My points:

Vic - this is the team that I'd go with at the start.

I'd reiterate that I think Marsters deserves first shot in the centres and we need Aloiai in the team. Aloiai is a player who can have an impact in the middle of the park. He could also play out wide but I'd give him a middle role and let him stay there. I think the same thing with Sue as well. I'd start with Matulino and have Twal come on but it's not an issue.

I think that team looks a lot more solid than what we've had this year and I honestly think we had a pretty good squad this year. SImona crashed and burned and the merkin 3 basically screwed us over.

What I really love about our team for next year is the depth that we have. The only area where we now lack depth is I think fullback but Cleary said Benji may even be able to play there.

I really want to see Tui kick on. He looks like he could be a game winner and he seems like a nice guy.

simmo05

Bench
He has to be there. He has stood out since his debut. Suli as well before the injury. I cant wait to see how they perform when there is someone breathing down their neck for their spot. Potentially go up a gear?

Liddle at hooker for me. MM has dropped off since liddle got injured, poor service killed us a couple of weeks back. A good off season to fill out a bit and playing alongside a tough outfit and i think it will be a breakout year for him.

There is a good mix of youth, aggression, experience, and depth. 2 young guns in the centres, some big wingers, finally a tough pack....shit its going to be a long summer waiting, hopefully ivan the great can pull it all together!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
Can Liddle play 80 mins? If he could put on some size and go for a full 80 he will be a top class hooker. Having ET in the squad helps if he goes down injured but hopefully there won't be an intention for ET playing hooker bar on-field injury

Vic Mackey

Referee
Milne to me is a tricky one. I've actually really been impressed with some of his performances its just he seems to be out of favour at the dragons for similar reasons Ava is out of favour here I guess. I guess he's gonna have to prove himself in the trials/pre season because I'd love to see him in the team. Really rate him

Yeah not leaving Milne out due to him not being good, and he has the chance to impress, I just think Marsters is irresistible ATM. Plus Suli and Milne are similar type players whereas Marsters brings something different.

If Milne goes too well to leave out then you gotta find a spot for Marsters on the bench

Vozzy

Juniors
Marsters/Suli/Fonua/thompson/MWZ/ Milne. The competition for spots is really good now. Atleast we will have depth now. I couldn't tell you what the best combo wpuld be I don't watch super league so can't say whether Fonua or Thompson are playing well. Marsters for mine is in he has really helped Noufaluma find form a bit again and he links up nicely with Lolahea.

Then with the halves Brooks/Reynolds/Marshall/Gamble. I have read good things about Gamble the Qld cup is now as strong as NSW cup. He would be an improvement on JLJ who somehow still makes our 17.

The pack for me is the key for the backs. We have 3 good front rowers with Twal coming along. Only 22 he is and props take longer to hit their peak. Plus with Sue aswell if we use him right can be damaging. Eisenheugth though I think has been the back rower we have needed for awhile. Good runner and looking to pass before the line and offload.

No offence to you guys above but why is Nofa a certainty?

He had his best game in ages on Sunday and whilst his rushing up and in when defending is improving (note: if he hadn't taken the 2 intercepts on Sunday, we would have been talking about him being out of position again, Manly had guys outside of him, after all) his improvement is not as good as or noticeable as Naiqama's.

Clifferd

Coach
No offence to you guys above but why is Nofa a certainty?

He had his best game in ages on Sunday and whilst his rushing up and in when defending is improving (note: if he hadn't taken the 2 intercepts on Sunday, we would have been talking about him being out of position again, Manly had guys outside of him, after all) his improvement is not as good as or noticeable as Naiqama's.

He is one of my first picked ATM. Harsh to say his best game in ages was on Sunday as I think he's been playing consistently good for quite awhile. Defence is shaky but that's imo due to not trusting his inside men which is getting better with Marsters next to him.

Like I said one of my first picked in the team, he bleeds the club

Clifferd

Coach
ET has a lot on his mind too, very sick daughter at home in NZ but the doctor recommends he stays here as treatment isn't available in Sydney. Says a lot about a guy who can still put his body on the line with so much personal shit going on

I really hope he stays and is contention for captaincy but to me Lawrence just edges him. Both players to me are one of my first picked it's just a shame Lawrence is injury prone

ET has a lot on his mind too, very sick daughter at home in NZ but the doctor recommends he stays here as treatment isn't available in Sydney.

I really hope he stays and is contention for captaincy but to me Lawrence just edges him. Both players to me are one of my first picked it's just a shame Lawrence is injury prone

Isn't it the other way around? The doctor recommends he keeps his daughter in Sydney?

Tiger Ted

Bench
I'm starting to lean towards giving Elijah the captaincy as although I'm a massive rowdy fan he's just so damn injury prone.

I was just thinking how much the prodigal son would relish being the captain in his twilight yr(s) as a player of the club he was instrumental in the 05 premiership win !