What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 First Grade 17

Tigerm

First Grade
WESTS TIGERS
Off contract:

Joel Edwards, Matt Eisenhuth, Tim Grant, Watson Heleta, Jamal Idris, Jack Littlejohn, Wesley Lolo, Kyle Lovett, Kevin Naiqama, Bayley Sironen

New deal: Elijah Taylor (option in his favour for 2018), Josh Aloiai (until end of 2019), Moses Suli (until end of 2020), Michael Chee-Kam (until end of 2019), Ivan Cleary (until end of 2020), Luke Brooks (until 2019), David Nofoaluma (until 2021), Mahe Fonua (Hull FC until 2019), Jacob Liddle (extension until 2019), Corey Thompson (until 2019), Matt McIlwrick (until 2019)

Leaving: Rod Griffin (immediate release to Bulldogs until end of 2017), Tim Simona (banned by NRL), Taniela Paseka (released to Manly until end of 2018), Ava Seumanufagai (Sharks until end of 2019), Aaron Woods (Bulldogs until 2021), James Tedesco (Roosters until 2021), Ryan Papenhuyzen (Storm until 2020), Mitchell Moses (immediate release to Eels until 2019), Jordan Rankin (immediate release to Huddersfield), Matt Ballin (retired immediately)

Not sure how accurate this is, but it is an update from Fox.
Packer, Matulino & Reynolds have been mentioned in earlier reports.
For me, Eisenhuth, Grant, Naiqama & Taylor are yet to get on the bus or be offered a ticket, hopefully this is rectified soon.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Jason Cayless was one of the worst of modern times. My memories of him for the Roosters before he left was a man mountain long haired Goliath. On his return to us it looked as though he'd spent the last few years in the U.K. on the AIDS cocktail.
Cayless & o'hara were the 2 biggest disappointments as far as I'm concerned coz neither player displayed any of the toughness I'd expected & regressed immensely when they came to us.I was astounded @ how soft these 2 fairies became after joining us.

Blair was an outright merkin.Ive never hated anyone as much as this bag of excrement.Based on what he earnt & the zero output from this shitbag he is the worst recruit in WT's history !! He made the sluggish pea heart Galloway seem like a hybrid of taumololo & Gallen !!

Geez we've had way more than our fair share of spineless timid & inept forwards on our books !!
I dream about the day we have an intimidating forward pack !!

Taylor’s long-term future has been up in the air for a number of months after he failed to take up an option in his deal at the Tigers to extend his current deal into next season.

He had been contemplating a return home to the Warriors, but has also received advice from doctors for his one-year-old daughter to remain in Sydney as she battles illness.

“I’m taking the doctor’s advice as always,” Taylor said.

“It’s a huge factor in the decision — a massive factor.” The Tigers will this week confirm both his and forward Matt Eisenhuth’s long- term future at the club into next season.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/we...n/news-story/b152fe28f6bbf97df0fcc99a61b1c5d8

mepelthwack

Juniors
Holy crap I'm excited about Alex Twal. For sure he will be playing for Australia in the future. For now I hope he stays a tiger for life.

I can't decide whether I think he should start or not. I can see pros and cons in each scenario. I think he will develop into an attacking weapon (for a prop) eventually, not that he isn't capable already.

At some stage I hope Gamble gets a run in the 17. He might be our best goal kicker anyhow hope to see him in the trials.

I think Suli will kill it next year, as long as the second year syndrome doesn't kick in.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Holy crap I'm excited about Alex Twal. For sure he will be playing for Australia in the future. For now I hope he stays a tiger for life.

I can't decide whether I think he should start or not. I can see pros and cons in each scenario. I think he will develop into an attacking weapon (for a prop) eventually, not that he isn't capable already.

At some stage I hope Gamble gets a run in the 17. He might be our best goal kicker anyhow hope to see him in the trials.

I think Suli will kill it next year, as long as the second year syndrome doesn't kick in.
Yep Twal has certainly been a surprise packet.

Geez I hope Gamble cuts it & rapidly coz we desperately need someone putting pressure on Brooks.

We r developing well.Its amazing the rapid improvement that IC has made on defense & grit.

BuffaloRules

Coach
If Ailoila can consistently run angles like he did yesterday to score that try, then he is a must for a starting 11 or 12 next year....

I really want our pack to have some size... Tired of years of big packs running over the top of them....

Vic Mackey

Referee
Twal is definitely one out of the box. Hadn't even heard of him when we signed him but now so glad we have him locked up for the next 3 years.

On the WT forum someone is saying Aloiai played all his juniours as a left edge forward. Looked that way for his try last night. Will be putting pressure on Lawrence for that spot next year.

Tiger05

First Grade
Aloiai and Twal to me have to be in the team next year. These guys are doing really well. I think Eisenhuth makes the team as well.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think Chee-Kam has been good on the edge as well. That gives us Aloiai, Taylor, Lawrence, Chee-Kam, McQueen and Marsters as edge forwards. Aloiai is the only impact player there but our edge is looking potentially a lot better.

If we go okay with injuries our pack is going to be really good next year.

8. Matulino
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Lawrence -- this is the hard spot to pick. Do we play Aloiai there. If so do we have enough middle forwards.
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth -- or do you start with Aloiai here and only play Eisenhuth if Aloiai starts to gas.

14. Twal -- prop replacement
15. Sue -- prop replacement
16. Aloiai -- lock replacement
17. McQueen//MCK/Marsters -- do we play McIlwrick here or just move Taylor to dummy half if Liddle needs a rest.

Our pack is looking good for next year. I don't even think we lost that much when Matulino/Packer & Eisenhuth come off. I suppose you could also play Eisenhuth for longer minutes and move Aloiai to the edge.

It'll be interesting how we get our pack firing next year.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Aloiai and Twal to me have to be in the team next year. These guys are doing really well. I think Eisenhuth makes the team as well.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think Chee-Kam has been good on the edge as well. That gives us Aloiai, Taylor, Lawrence, Chee-Kam, McQueen and Marsters as edge forwards. Aloiai is the only impact player there but our edge is looking potentially a lot better.

If we go okay with injuries our pack is going to be really good next year.

8. Matulino
9. Liddle
10. Packer
11. Lawrence -- this is the hard spot to pick. Do we play Aloiai there. If so do we have enough middle forwards.
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth -- or do you start with Aloiai here and only play Eisenhuth if Aloiai starts to gas.

14. Twal -- prop replacement
15. Sue -- prop replacement
16. Aloiai -- lock replacement
17. McQueen//MCK/Marsters -- do we play McIlwrick here or just move Taylor to dummy half if Liddle needs a rest.

Our pack is looking good for next year. I don't even think we lost that much when Matulino/Packer & Eisenhuth come off. I suppose you could also play Eisenhuth for longer minutes and move Aloiai to the edge.

It'll be interesting how we get our pack firing next year.

I like this, but Liddle playing 80 is a recipe for disaster. I tihnk if we start Liddle in 9, Benji has to come off the bench. Benji then comes on for Liddle and Reynolds moves to 9. I think it could work. Aside from that, I like that team.

Aloiai is torn between edge and middle at this stage. I'm not sure where he is best suited. Anyone got any ideas? He runs a bloody good line but may lack the mobility to play on the edge.

Tiger05

First Grade
I like this, but Liddle playing 80 is a recipe for disaster. I tihnk if we start Liddle in 9, Benji has to come off the bench. Benji then comes on for Liddle and Reynolds moves to 9. I think it could work. Aside from that, I like that team.

Aloiai is torn between edge and middle at this stage. I'm not sure where he is best suited. Anyone got any ideas? He runs a bloody good line but may lack the mobility to play on the edge.

Aloiai is the tough one. I think his best spot is at lock. The problem is that Eisenhuth is playing great there. If we could get him on the edge though our edge backrow issue is gone.

Liddle will need a break especially throughout the season. Maybe Benji should get one bench spot.

Shredder

Juniors
We dont have a hooker at the club that plays 80 mins.

Like it or not, we are stuck with a double hooker rotation for the near future.

Its interesting what Brisbane are doing with Thaiday though, maybe ET to start at 9 and move to the back row at the 20 min mark?

simmo05

Bench
Twal is definitely one out of the box. Hadn't even heard of him when we signed him but now so glad we have him locked up for the next 3 years.

On the WT forum someone is saying Aloiai played all his juniours as a left edge forward. Looked that way for his try last night. Will be putting pressure on Lawrence for that spot next year.
I think this is why Lawrance cant be captain, he is not certain to start, or even be in the side next year. I can see him in a benji like mentoring role for a couple of seasons, then retirement.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I think this is why Lawrance cant be captain, he is not certain to start, or even be in the side next year. I can see him in a benji like mentoring role for a couple of seasons, then retirement.

I can't see Lawrence in the 17 either.
He's getting injury prone more and more.
Plus the younger forwards are coming along leaps and bounds with the games they are getting this year.

Clifferd

Coach
That was my exact point before when we had the who should be captain next year argument earlier in the year.

It's too late. He should've been appointed captain ahead of woods back last year but didn't, now it's too late

Tiger Ted

Bench
Rowdy has one year left with us yes?

Why would you make him the captain for one year?
Yep a very pertinent point.Hence it has to b Elijah who is durable & a no - nonsense forward who commands respect from his team-mates ! He is clearly the best option for the captaincy.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Taylor is signing for 2018 only,am I correct?
If so,bit silly to make him captain.
Lawrence won't make the 13,but seriously I can't see another candidate.
They will be all too young or new to the club.

simmo05

Bench
It would be a shame if et went to the warriors in 19. We have all seen how top kiwi players turn to puss over there. He is really hitting his straps this year, best he signs for another 3-4 years and finish as a gf winning Tiger.

Latest posts