What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Foxtel Pay TV Only RATINGS

colly

Juniors
Gee isn't the NRL shitting on AFL. If this keeps up moar$$$$$$$$ coming This is real paying viewers from all over Australia, so you get real test of popularity!

Also with the decider webpage for pay TV you can use the arrows to get data from a month ago! ie 14/4/18 to 14/5/18
Super Sat has a 100k more than the AFL on all Saturdays

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
50k with nothing better to do with themselves on a Friday night instead of watchign a joke that has long since worn out it's welcome?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its interesting the big viewing difference between the DH'er games and the rest.
Is this due to; the time slot, the clubs involved or the fact it was promoted heavily as it was a DH'er?

Are the Sat two late games traditionally the biggest drawing games for Fox?

colly

Juniors
Just done some quick calculations.
330,000 thousand people watching (Manly v Broncos) at $100.00 per month, times 12 (yearly)=
=$396 million dollars p/a
Sure not all/some have it (Foxtel) for other reasons, however it is a benchmark ie you have to have the stater pack to get the sport, so it's reasonable to quote the above equation as to the value to foxtel, the NRL brings in to them. PLUS add the commercials (half-time and other programs) which would be in the millions also.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just done some quick calculations.
330,000 thousand people watching (Manly v Broncos) at $100.00 per month, times 12 (yearly)=
=$396 million dollars p/a
Sure not all/some have it (Foxtel) for other reasons, however it is a benchmark ie you have to have the stater pack to get the sport, so it's reasonable to quote the above equation as to the value to foxtel, the NRL brings in to them. PLUS add the commercials (half-time and other programs) which would be in the millions also.

Don't think anyone is doubting the NRL is a cash cow for Fox. We let them off the hook very lightly this deal. The one big thing they needed to drive subscriptions significantly was simucast of every game. That should have been worth an awful lot of money, a lot more than they paid for it. We should have used that as part of the deal to tell them to f**k off with their stupid Fri 6pm idea!

The lack of genuine competitor to Fox means they do have us over something of a monopoly barrel, for now.

taipan

Referee
Don't think anyone is doubting the NRL is a cash cow for Fox. We let them off the hook very lightly this deal. The one big thing they needed to drive subscriptions significantly was simucast of every game. That should have been worth an awful lot of money, a lot more than they paid for it. We should have used that as part of the deal to tell them to f**k off with their stupid Fri 6pm idea!

The lack of genuine competitor to Fox means they do have us over something of a monopoly barrel, for now.

We let them off likely LOL.You mean Smith went solo with 9 and we got Rupert's repercussions.You even noted Rupert short changed us.We know the reason why, you just won't spit it out.

Diesel

Referee
Online streaming service like Netflix, Amazon or Hulu will be a threat to Fox by early 2020’s. Even Optus took the EPL off Fox. If they want it next time they’ll be paying a lot more than $1.2b + CPI.

The next AFL tv deal will be a twilight/ night GF, the next NRL deal will revert to more fan friendly times

Perth Red

Post Whore
We let them off likely LOL.You mean Smith went solo with 9 and we got Rupert's repercussions.You even noted Rupert short changed us.We know the reason why, you just won't spit it out.

Yeh I’m sure smith went solo and the commision and grant or the very expensive media consultancy firm they employed knew nothing of the plan, that’s how big business is done lol

taipan

Referee
Yeh I’m sure smith went solo and the commision and grant or the very expensive media consultancy firm they employed knew nothing of the plan, that’s how big business is done lol

Then why in heaven's name did Smith only (repeat only) front the media,when he announced the 9 deal.No sign of Grant ,who always attends the opening of an envelope.
The Chairman not present at the deal announcement .Please!!!!

Funny the reason the guy who was involved in the AFL Tv deals in the past,then on the ARLC ,pulled out of the ARLC,was due to the TV negotiations and the way the game was governed.
Yep nothing to see here LOL.
Smith how no experience with prior deals ,where 9 and Fox were at the tables.We got dished as a result.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seriously?? You honestly believe a CEO would sign off on a $925mill deal with Ch9 on his own with no involvement of the commission or the consultancy firm? Have you ever worked with a board? They would have had a FARM sub committee who CEO and consultancy firm would report to, the sub committee chair, most likely Grant, would then report each step of the way to the full commission. Its called GOVERNANCE! IF and its a massive IF, the Commission is so poorly set up that the CEO could go rogue and sign off on both the strategy for media partner negotiations and the deals themselves on his own then the game is well and truly in trouble!

taipan

Referee
Seriously?? You honestly believe a CEO would sign off on a $925mill deal with Ch9 on his own with no involvement of the commission or the consultancy firm? Have you ever worked with a board? They would have had a FARM sub committee who CEO and consultancy firm would report to, the sub committee chair, most likely Grant, would then report each step of the way to the full commission. Its called GOVERNANCE! IF and its a massive IF, the Commission is so poorly set up that the CEO could go rogue and sign off on both the strategy for media partner negotiations and the deals themselves on his own then the game is well and truly in trouble!

Look I'm questioning why Grant wasn't there ,when he attended other announcements,I'm querying why the Vic guy who negotiated the AFL deal, and was involved with advice for the new NRL deal as part of the ARLC left all of a sudden.It was stated he was not happy with the way the negotiations were being set up.IOW bringing all parties in.
Smith did a lot of things off the cuff,appointing highly paid individuals who were hopeless and soon left after his departure.He spent like a Commercial Banker would ,when rugby league is supposedly a not for profit organisation, for the sole purpose of promoting their sport, like other codes.
He ignored spending money on the bush and regionals, and left them screaming for help.His track record hardly speaks volumes for GOVERNANCE.But we have a future fund.That's all very nice, but if your grassroots is getting reamed,there is a forlorn future.
CEOS yes have certain control, but his well publicised wastage suggests he was a tad out of his depth.He lacked the understanding of the rugby league culture, from the fans, to the clubs themselves.
I'm also suggesting the final TV washout ,where we more than match AFL showed we were dudded, and Rupert hardly kept his views secret.
I'm aware of consultancy firms, and advisers(of which the Vic guy was one and well respected.)
If the ch9 deal had remained and we got similar to the AFL ,then Smith would be called a genius.It didn't happen.
I'm not a fan of Grant either, thought his background in rl would help and his business background.He wanted to be a man for all occasions.There are times when you step into the background, he didn't get it.

I'm basing my views on seeing the CH9 deal announcement,the sudden removal of highly paid advisers, the neglected bush.Grant not sighted, and a respected adviser get p*ssed off as his advice ignored.
take it or leave it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who knows, maybe Grant had the runs, maybe he had a family wedding. Whats more likely, Grant couldn't or chose not to be there, or a Billion$ company has no governance and allows the CEO to go off and sign whatever deals he likes with who ever he likes? Even where that deal is by far the most important and valuable deal to the company? Seriously use your common sense lol. I think the NRL is a really sht run business on the whole but even I dont think it is so poorly run that it wouldn't have a very strong governance and decision making process around media deals!

re appointments that is the responsibility of a CEO as long as it sits within the agreed strategy and budget signed off by the board. If those appointments where worthwhile or not we can only guess. People go on about his spending but Greenberg spent more in ARLC Admin costs than Smith until last year. And unlike any other CEO Smith actually had a plan to have money set aside for investment in the game long term or for a rainy day. Greenberg has spent all that money and more besides and to what end? Is the bush any stronger this year than in 2013? Where the clubs financially sustainable by 2017? Did fans increase at games or watching on TV? Did jnr numbers increase dramatically? Seems most of the significant KPI's in the start plan failed badly.
I've no great love for Smith but at least he sounded like he had a vision and a plan for the game and actually produced one! Wheres the new strategic plan? Still not available, fricking amateur hour.

taipan

Referee
Who knows, maybe Grant had the runs, maybe he had a family wedding. Whats more likely, Grant couldn't or chose not to be there, or a Billion$ company has no governance and allows the CEO to go off and sign whatever deals he likes with who ever he likes? Even where that deal is by far the most important and valuable deal to the company? Seriously use your common sense lol. I think the NRL is a really sht run business on the whole but even I dont think it is so poorly run that it wouldn't have a very strong governance and decision making process around media deals!

re appointments that is the responsibility of a CEO as long as it sits within the agreed strategy and budget signed off by the board. If those appointments where worthwhile or not we can only guess. People go on about his spending but Greenberg spent more in ARLC Admin costs than Smith until last year. And unlike any other CEO Smith actually had a plan to have money set aside for investment in the game long term or for a rainy day. Greenberg has spent all that money and more besides and to what end? Is the bush any stronger this year than in 2013? Where the clubs financially sustainable by 2017? Did fans increase at games or watching on TV? Did jnr numbers increase dramatically? Seems most of the significant KPI's in the start plan failed badly.
I've no great love for Smith but at least he sounded like he had a vision and a plan for the game and actually produced one! Wheres the new strategic plan? Still not available, fricking amateur hour.

It's not much use having someone who sounds like he has a vision and full of ideas, but doesn't implement any of them.
Having money set aside is great, but if you neglect your grassroots you don;t have a code for a rainy day FHS.
Digital came in costwise after Smith.That is a very costly exercise with all the journos involved, who actually give the game some positives,unlike the grubby gits from the Telegraph.Greenberg is on half the money Smith was on.Wasn;t the figure something like $150m to set up and take on the journos and digital experts?

Payouts to those expensive consultants (appointed by Smith not Greenberg))come under the admin cost, that happened post Smith for some.
Depends on the areas, smaller towns feeling the pinch.Will have to wait and see the washout.I've read some areas have had increases over the board.

The NRL could be run better, no argument from me.In fact so could the rest of the major sporting code s here, including the AFL which at time has had its are off stuff ups.yes the crack far bigger crowds and a bigger Tv deal, but they are still stuck on this Island and rugby league is not.

The NRL admin spends too much time putting out fires,salary cap rorts ,flogging of NRL clubs they took over before they fell over and then had to flog them off.Fending off media bagging the NRL for taking on the thumper guy at the Broncos.
Chasing money owed by Dragons and Tigers.Bringing in a women's comp.Arranging bids for SOO and NRL games in non heartland areas.Lobbying the State Govt to ensure the stadiums improvements will continue, unless of course dopey Foley gets in and stuffs the process.Keeping tabs on their Touch set up.
Still trying to organise for NRL games to be played in the states.(U.S.)
A new centre for rugby league in Sth Australia,a new stadium set up in Darwin,a $12m contribution by the Vic govt for the Vic rl centre .That does;t involve negotiations with the NRL office boy.
And having to spend time deciding whether Todd Carney is eligible or has done enough rehab to get back into the NRL
Yep sitting on the a*ses doing zilch.

Greenberg hasn't spent all the flipping money.If money spent on propping up two clubs, in two vital areas
that's a waste?Money is being repaid from loans to the clubs mentioned.That's money coming back Einstein.
Smith spent money on entertainment,expensive consultants and the left overs that should have gone to grassroots, oh we'll save it for a rainy day.

Maybe they should do what your fave mob the AFL does, tell the clubs use hush money to keep bad news out of the media.Nothing to see here.
Many of their Vic clubs still rely on poker machines for support, and a few are losing money also.They got well and truly reamed in NZ ,when they tried the game there.There are more Storm members after 21 years in 2018 ,than the Swans had after 21 years (and they had South Melbourne to assist them)

You're apparently the self appointed managerial expert, never seen one decent idea from your keyboard,other than your natural whine, which any 10 year old kid, whose told he can;t go to the movies does.
Membership has increased year on year,our Tv numbers this year are more than favourable compared to your fave AFL,which has had a far bigger drop in viewers, and despite a crappy 6pm Friday attendances so far are up,Our NZ TV viewers are up 22% on the back of the Warriors form.
I'd venture to suggest we'll crap over the AFL with merchandise sales also.

Do I want bigger crowds? Of course.No more 6pm? Of course.But the priorities are the health of the NRL clubs(neglected by Smith),the grassroots ditto, better fan facilities hence better stadiums now work in progress.And that''s where the money has to be spent ATM.the rainy day money may well be part of the deal.