What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
The first four rounds at least, actually the whole season, should have main strips worn by the clubs when their is no colour clash with opposition. I can cope with one or two designated "special " look rounds but in the main it should be the main strip as much as possible. If marketing people don't want their club to be readily identified by potential new fans and the elderly supporters then keep confusing the public! Their is a loyalty and recognition cost to changing the look of a club on multiple occasions . Would have thought the season openers at least, proudly have clubs wear their main strip like last night!?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The first four rounds at least, actually the whole season, should have main strips worn by the clubs when their is no colour clash with opposition. I can cope with one or two designated "special " look rounds but in the main it should be the main strip as much as possible. If marketing people don't want their club to be readily identified by potential new fans and the elderly supporters then keep confusing the public! Their is a loyalty and recognition cost to changing the look of a club on multiple occasions . Would have thought the season openers at least, proudly have clubs wear their main strip like last night!?
Nice idea but clubs will wear what they want within approval by NRL.

Stallion

First Grade
Nice idea but clubs will wear what they want within approval by NRL.

Thanks for the "nice idea" comment. I'm aware that's the case however the "nice idea" should be adopted as a policy. It would engender far more loyal fans and not confuse new fans or potential new fans. Think that adds to the bottom line better than a fanciful indulgent cash grab that doesnt promote loyalty and effective market recognition.

Last edited:

gzerounian

Juniors
Indigenous round is good. Anzac should just be a small consistent poppy and rising sun on all jerseys. Women in league done to death and probably not relevant anymore given women play a more prominent role now in league compared to when the concept was first introduced. Heritage should be the men of league round and that should be enough.

Rooster8

Juniors
Indigenous round is good. Anzac should just be a small consistent poppy and rising sun on all jerseys. Women in league done to death and probably not relevant anymore given women play a more prominent role now in league compared to when the concept was first introduced. Heritage should be the men of league round and that should be enough.

Don’t forgot Marvel round to thank our friendly neighbour hero’s for their tireless services

Timmah

Staff member
Thanks for the "nice idea" comment. I'm aware that's the case however the "nice idea" should be adopted as a policy. It would engender far more loyal fans and not confuse new fans or potential new fans. Think that adds to the bottom line better than a fanciful indulgent cash grab that doesnt promote loyalty and effective market recognition.
Sport is a business, and merchandise is a crucial pillar of that. Do you honestly think clubs (or the league) will get on board with a plan that reduces exposure of key merchandise items for a set period? Especially if it's an anniversary event kind of thing?

GAZF

First Grade
Any thoughts on the new shirts worn by the refs and linesmen?
In the spirit of the thread...I HATE THEM!

They're ok to be honest. The white shoulders are a bit odd though, and black didn't provide the best clash for the teams.

gzerounian

Juniors
black didn't provide the best clash for the teams.
Exactly what I was thinking last night...surely they have other colours that would have clashed better.
I don't mind the new kit but I am a huge fan of the old TNT ones. Refs looked so much more authoritarian in that kit. The blue stripes on the shoulders actually made them look like "officers" who have earned their "stripes" (and if you were a Queensland ref your stripes were maroon)...refs were handed a whistle and a badge to actually police the game unlike todays referees. I didn't mind the uniform from 2016 where the lead referee had one sleeve a different colour..specially the red one with the blue sleeve. It sort of had that TNT feel about it.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 1.51.10 pm.png

Johnny88

Juniors
PARRAMATTA EELS 2018 FOUNDATION JERSEY

s-l500.jpg

Found this one on eBay

flippikat

Bench
Maybe this will happen under new ownership? (Assuming the club is still for sale, I haven't been following that topic for a while)

Good call. There's nothing like a change of owners and/or management to bring about a brand revamp.

Hopefully it also means closing the Chapter on the "New Zealand Warriors brand & bringing back Auckland Warriors to open some scope for a 2nd NZ team.

Timmah

Staff member
This year the black has replaced the teal/blue colour.

It's a good option, I like it - but it doesn't work when one team's kit is mostly dark like Brisbane's was.

The only other game it'll be seen in this round is Titans/Raiders on Sunday, which makes more sense I think.

Black: Saints/Broncos, Titans/Raiders
Yellow: Knights/Manly, Tigers/Roosters, Souths/Warriors
Red: Cowboys/Sharks, Bulldogs/Storm, Panthers/Eels

Timmah

Staff member
PARRAMATTA EELS 2018 FOUNDATION JERSEY

s-l500.jpg

Found this one on eBay
Looks like the one that appeared on Aland's first ads. Interested to see if it gets used on-field at all, and if so, what for? Given they already have a heritage jersey.

flippikat

Bench
They have had heritage round in previous years.

Yep, and it's something the NRL need to get right.

There should be a heritage and a rivalry round each year, and in those rounds the club's wear their heritage strip. Simple.

If the NRL wanna choose a decade for teams to base their designs from, that's cool.. but some clubs haven't been around too long, So the Warriors may have to use an old Auckland rep jersey or a club from the Auckland comp.. and the Storm may have to do a 'faux' retro.. but it's do-able.

Timmah

Staff member
Yep, and it's something the NRL need to get right.

There should be a heritage and a rivalry round each year, and in those rounds the club's wear their heritage strip. Simple.

If the NRL wanna choose a decade for teams to base their designs from, that's cool.. but some clubs haven't been around too long, So the Warriors may have to use an old Auckland rep jersey or a club from the Auckland comp.. and the Storm may have to do a 'faux' retro.. but it's do-able.
The problem IMO with having a "proper heritage round" is that there's no perfect equation. There'll always be a game "left out" that's not really heritage.

This is as close as I can get:
Broncos v Titans (88*)
Cowboys v Warriors (95)
Bulldogs v Dragons
Rabbitohs v Roosters
Sea Eagles v Sharks
Penrith v Parramatta
... then the well dries up
Raiders v Wests Tigers (89 GF?)
Newcastle v Storm (a few prelims?)

Status
Not open for further replies.