What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzerounian

Juniors
@gzerounian was just providing a good litimus test for contrast, and was not meant to indicate a literal matchup.

The point is that the other clubs are held to a standard by the NRL and we believe that Souths' away design does not adequately contrast with their home one.

Thank you GAZF for explaining the point I was trying to make. "Litmus test" is perfect.

It is very hard to make a case for Souths when you line up all the home and away jerseys next to each other. As you can see most have done a good job. Special mention to Parramatta and Manly for using their actual alternative club colour (which so happens to be white for Manly) and not resorting to a lazy Grey or White (Broncos, Warriors, Storm, Tigers could have all used another one of their club colours). I think the reason Manly looks so good is that at certain stages since 1947 that White Jersey has actually been their main jersey. I think Penrith needs to do better with their away jersey. Its too close to their home jersey. I don't see why they just don't do a direct swap in colours like the 1992 away.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 1.50.49 pm.png

Zigwaa

Bench
Thank you GAZF for explaining the point I was trying to make. "Litmus test" is perfect.

It is very hard to make a case for Souths when you line up all the home and away jerseys next to each other. As you can see most have done a good job. Special mention to Parramatta and Manly for using their actual alternative club colour (which so happens to be white for Manly) and not resorting to a lazy Grey or White (Broncos, Warriors, Storm, Tigers could have all used another one of their club colours). I think the reason Manly looks so good is that at certain stages since 1947 that White Jersey has actually been their main jersey. I think Penrith needs to do better with their away jersey. Its too close to their home jersey. I don't see why they just don't do a direct swap in colours like the 1992 away.

View attachment 17571

It depends on the definition of an away jersey. Your preference/definition is for inversed colours, but it could mean predominantly light coloured or dark coloured, or in Souths instance a slight differentiation to each other. There's no hard and fast rule and open to interpretation. From what I can tell it hasn't been regulated in the NRL like it has by other sport governing bodies, more guided by club preferences.

gzerounian

Juniors
An interesting read regarding jerseys. This relates to the NRL Victoria competition from 2017.

1. Policy Purpose

1.1 The purpose of this policy is to maintain standards within NRL VIC competitions regarding the uniforms worn on field by participating clubs, including the use of only approved and licensed suppliers, the regulation of colours to avoid clashes, and the manner in which changes in design b y clubs are managed.
Note: This policy relates only to the design and colour of on field playing uniforms (shirts, shorts and socks) and not other on field apparel and equipment which may be subject to the Laws of the game or other policies su ch as, but not limited to, the N RL Com pres sion Garment Policy or NRL On - Field Policy , and also does not apply to any off field club apparel and merchandise .

2. Breaches of Policy, Penalties and Costs

2.1 Clubs are not permitted to wear or use On Field Uniforms that have not had their design and colours approved by NRL VIC as per rules and processed defined with in this policy.
2.2 Breach of this policy may be subject to penalty which may include fines, loss of points by team, loss of points by club, suspension of team and/or suspension of club.
2.3 Clubs should not commence production or commit to production of any On Field Uniforms until written approval has been provided of the design and colours of these Uniforms by NRL VIC as per rules and processes defined within this policy. Any costs resulting from not conforming to the requirements of this policy or any costs to make changes to conform to the requirements of this policy are solely the club’s responsibility and the claim shall have no claim on NRL VIC .

3. NRL VIC Logo and U s e Only by Approved and Licensed Suppliers

3.1 All Club On Field Jerseys and c lub On Field Shorts must bear the NRL VIC Logo.
3.2 The size of the NRL VIC Logo shall not be of smaller size than the club logo.
3.3 The placement of the NRL VIC Logo must be on right hand breast of jersey.
3.4 Any club, manufacturer or sponsor logo should not be placed within reasonable vicinity of the NRL VIC Logo (opposite breast, sternum or across midriff are acceptable).
3.5 Only NRL VIC approved and licensed suppliers are permitted to use the NRL VIC Logo for club On Field Jerseys and club On Field Shorts.
3.6 No club shall be permitted to place an order for On Field Jerseys, Shorts or Socks with a supplier who does not have an NRL VIC License.
3.7 Clubs who have placed an order prior to 14 October 2016 shall be permitted to continue with their order and use their On Field Uniform subject to providing proof of order/purchase being prior to this date to NRL VIC no later than 28 October 2016.
3.8 Clubs shall be permitted to wear previously approved and purchased On Field U n iforms in 2017 and 2018 seasons . However, for season 2019 no c lub shall be permitted to wear any On Field Uniform that is n ot supplied by a NR L VIC approved and licensed supplier.

4. On Field Uniform Design

Main Design
4.1 A club must maintain its Main Jersey design for the entirety of one whole sea son before it may submit to NRL VIC to change it.
4.2 Changes to design eleme nts (eg. panels, piping, contrasting colour of sleeves or collars, or colour of numbers, etc.) or sponsor logos are considered changes to the design and are subject to 4.1.
4.3 Main Shorts and Socks are not subject to any conditions other than that the en tire team must be uniform (ie. wearing the same) when participating.

Alternate Designs
4.4 A club is permitted to have an Alternate Jersey to its Main Jersey subject to the design being of different colour or significantly contrasting colour (ie. one lig ht, one dark).
4.5 An Alternate Jersey may be changed at any time subject to approval of the NRL VIC before production.
4.6 A club is permitted to have more than one Alternate Jersey subject to each design being of different colour or significantly contrasting colour.

5. Design Approval

5.1 All applications for approval must be submitted in writing using the form under this policy and when required accompanying designs provided in full colour.
5.2 No design shall be considered approved by NRL VIC without written confirmation AND full colour designs have been signed by NRL VIC General Manager.
5.3 Approval of any designs and colours will be given preference to clubs over other clubs based on the following in order:
5.3.1 Incumbent design and colour of clubs .
5.3.2 Predominant colour (irrespective of design or design elements) is not that of another approved predominant colour used by another club. See 6.
5.3.3 Colours of On Field Uniform are as per club colours designated annually on form prescribed by NRL VIC .
5.3.4 Club traditional or historical colours or where significant heritage to design or clubs can be reasonably proven

5.3.5 Registered application date of design and colour by clubs.
Note: Priority will not be given to club sponsor requirements to ensure sponsorship based on guaranteeing particular design and/or colour of club On Field Jersey over any of the above. Clubs should not make any guarantee to any sponsor or potential sponsor without first obtaining approval of design under this policy and are not permitted to make claim against NRL VIC should any sponsorship not be realised as a result of non - approval.
5.4 Submissions may be submitted to NRL VIC at any time (please note 5.3 and in particular 5.3.4). However, approval must be received by NRL VIC no later than 31 March for design and colours to be used in that year’s season. Any submission or approval finalised after this date may not be used until the following year’s season.
5.5 It shall be the club’s responsibility to ensure that sufficient and reasonable time is considered for approval process to be completed. No club shall make any claim on NRL VIC for any approval not provided or not provided in time for use in any season due to delays.

6. Jersey Clashes
6.1 A Jersey Clash is defined where design of a Jersey is of a similar colour of another team.
6.2 The following are NOT considered to avoid a Jersey being determined to have a Jersey Clash with another team:
6.2.1 Variance in colour shade (except significant contra st of light and dark)
6.2.2 Differing design elements (such patterns, panels, piping, contrasting sleeve colour, collar colour, number colour, sponsor logos, etc.)
6.2.3 Different colour and/or design of club Shorts and Socks.
6.3 The NRL VIC General Manager shall have sole responsibility to determine a Jersey Clash in their opinion and shall be final arbiter of a Jersey Clash.
6.4 Clubs shall not be permitted to play another team within NRL VIC controlled matches where a Jersey Clash exists with the o ther team, subject to 7.
6.5 When two Clubs are scheduled to play each other the Home Team will be entitled to wear the playing Jersey of their choice.
6.6 Where there is a Jersey Clash the Away Team must wear a Jersey approved by NRL VIC that does no t clash with the Home team, subject to 7.
6.7 Where a match is played at a “neutral” venue or is played during the Finals Series of any NRL VIC competition, the NRL VIC General Manager shall determine and advise the clubs in writing the playing Jersey the participating teams must wear.
6.8 Where two teams from same club play against each other the club must have one of the teams wear an Alternate Jersey, subject to 7.

7. Embargo

7.1 There is an embargo for club Jerseys designs that are in use by NRL VIC clubs prior to the commencement of the 2012 NRL VIC (VRL) season. The Jerseys are permitted to be used by clubs until the club next elects to change Jersey design.
7.2 Where a club at the commencement of the 2012 NRL VIC (VRL) season has an Alternate Jersey a nd has a Jersey Clash with another club for their Main Design they shall be subject to the requirements of 6. Home clubs are encouraged to use, if available, an Alternate Jersey if visiting club does not have an Alternate Jersey.

GAZF

First Grade
It depends on the definition of an away jersey. Your preference/definition is for inversed colours, but it could mean predominantly light coloured or dark coloured, or in Souths instance a slight differentiation to each other. There's no hard and fast rule and open to interpretation. From what I can tell it hasn't been regulated in the NRL like it has by other sport governing bodies, more guided by club preferences.
I haven't seen an NRL operations manual for the last couple of years but they have previously specified a second uniform that contrasts with the first in case the first has similar colours to an oppositions. Since Souths require a third uniform to play against Canberra, I'd say it fails to adequately contrast in this regard.

Zerô

Juniors
Penrith have the goofy gel panthers, and Sharks have gel Xblades logos

Attachments

• IMG_20180214_230137.JPG
    IMG_20180214_230137.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 32

Saint Doc

Coach
Special mention to Parramatta and Manly for using their actual alternative club colour (which so happens to be white for Manly) and not resorting to a lazy Grey or White (Broncos, Warriors, Storm, Tigers could have all used another one of their club colours).

Bizzare to give a special shout out to manly for a white jersey, and yet looking at your image, Dragons (red), sharks (black), dogs (blue) have all used an alternate club colour for the away. And whilst white is a secondary colour for manly, it is also for warriors (black, white, red) roosters (blue, red and white) and tigers (black, white and gold).

Don’t get me wrong, manly’s jersey is good, but the giving them a special mention for not having a lazy white away jersey...when they have a white jersey...and others don’t...is strange logic. And then justifying it by saying “it’s their club colour”...when it’s also a club colour of other clubs with a white away...

Anyway, to comment on the point I think you were trying to make, the it would be nice to see the following away jersey colours

Tigers- orange/gold
Storm - yellow/gold
Broncos - yellow/gold

Hard to argue with the rest.

Raiders don’t need one, but would like to see silver/navy/lime rather than the navy/lime they have

Saint Doc

Coach
Another thing i would like to see is compulsory shorts matching jerseys when away. I hate the mismatched look.

518263-roosters.jpg

White jersey/dark shorts vs dark jersey/white shorts. It just looks messy.

trbojevicj-170723-01.jpg

Matching. Such better contrast

gzerounian

Juniors
The manly jersey is at its best with the white shorts, which is how they started last year. Midway through the season they, for some reason, made the decision to wear the maroon. My special mention to Manly was specific to "that white jerseys" in particular which as I mentioned has been their main jersey in the past. They have had atrocious white jerseys in the last few years which would definitely not warrant a special mention. Apologies for not being able to express my thoughts clearly.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 3.52.03 pm.png

Saint Doc

Coach
The manly jersey is at its best with the white shorts, which is how they started last year. Midway through the season they, for some reason, made the decision to wear the maroon. My special mention to Manly was specific to "that white jerseys" in particular which as I mentioned has been their main jersey in the past. They have had atrocious white jerseys in the last few years which would definitely not warrant a special mention. Apologies for not being able to express my thoughts clearly.

View attachment 17574

Makes much more sense, I agree. So far as white manly jerseys go, it’s a great one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure what's going on with WC Pirates jersey this year. We seem to be channeling our inner Melbourne Storm!

27858215_10216148849812775_2957714601623301968_n.jpg

Saint Doc

Coach
Hey mate i picked it up from this guy on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Edens-League-Jerseys-156079588367868/

Great page. Thanks for the link.

Not sure what's going on with WC Pirates jersey this year. We seem to be channeling our inner Melbourne Storm!

27858215_10216148849812775_2957714601623301968_n.jpg

Disaster.

Browsing the above Facebook page, I saw this jersey. Would make a perfect pirates design.

D71A76C5-2E7D-4BD0-854A-81A86B21A99F.jpg

Also whilst I know they’re in the NSW comp, it’s a terrible look having the NSWRL logo if you’re trying to garner local response. No way the AFL would put a Sydney team in a VFL logo...sends the wrong message. They should be able to wear the NRL WA logo

Stallion

First Grade
Bizzare to give a special shout out to manly for a white jersey, and yet looking at your image, Dragons (red), sharks (black), dogs (blue) have all used an alternate club colour for the away. And whilst white is a secondary colour for manly, it is also for warriors (black, white, red) roosters (blue, red and white) and tigers (black, white and gold).

Don’t get me wrong, manly’s jersey is good, but the giving them a special mention for not having a lazy white away jersey...when they have a white jersey...and others don’t...is strange logic. And then justifying it by saying “it’s their club colour”...when it’s also a club colour of other clubs with a white away...

Anyway, to comment on the point I think you were trying to make, the it would be nice to see the following away jersey colours

Tigers- orange/gold
Storm - yellow/gold
Broncos - yellow/gold

Hard to argue with the rest.

Raiders don’t need one, but would like to see silver/navy/lime rather than the navy/lime they have

The Manly jersey has a pattern that supports the integrity of the jumper design. Its clear that it is the opposite in colour but same in pattern as the mainly maroon version. It works very well and about time they worked it out!

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Another thing i would like to see is compulsory shorts matching jerseys when away. I hate the mismatched look.

518263-roosters.jpg

White jersey/dark shorts vs dark jersey/white shorts. It just looks messy.

trbojevicj-170723-01.jpg

Matching. Such better contrast

Could not disagree more on this

Status
Not open for further replies.