What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Membership Thread

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s amazing with 5 years of membership growth it has had zero effect on attendance increases overall. Why would that be?

taipan

Referee
It’s amazing with 5 years of membership growth it has had zero effect on attendance increases overall. Why would that be?

Most common denominator ANZ stadium, used by two poor performing teams(out of 3/4 that use it_) with large fan bases,
That's why the real test will come with the new Parra stadium in 19.
ANZ is not liked by WSW or Union.

The really crap crowds have been consistently at ANZ,and Brookvale.Both have ordinary venues in differing ways.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Cause most of the memberships sold are either cheaper 3 game memberships or similar offers, or they're dodgy memberships like non-ticketed or 1 game memberships, etc.

I've been saying it for years, but the way membership numbers are recorded is stupid, they need to start differentiating between season ticket holders, ticketed memberships, and non-ticketed memberships (to be honest the clubs probably do but don't release the numbers publicly), otherwise it's a completely useless measurement of the club's success cause it's so easily manipulated.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most common denominator ANZ stadium, used by two poor performing teams(out of 3/4 that use it_) with large fan bases,
That's why the real test will come with the new Parra stadium in 19.
ANZ is not liked by WSW or Union.

The really crap crowds have been consistently at ANZ,and Brookvale.Both have ordinary venues in differing ways.

Except that the massive discrepancy between membership numbers and crowds is basically a universal phenomenon not just restricted to the clubs that use ANZ and Brookvale, or even the clubs that use shit stadiums.

DC_fan

Coach

I suppose it depends on where members live in relation to their team,and if the membership package they purchased includes a ticket to games.

taipan

Referee
Except that the massive discrepancy between membership numbers and crowds is basically a universal phenomenon not just restricted to the clubs that use ANZ and Brookvale, or even the clubs that use shit stadiums.

It's not a massive discrepancy for the Sharks.
Anycase in a lot of cases members of clubs don't necessarily live within shouting distance.Some are interstate,intrastate and even overseas.They pay to belong .

Regardless, the facts are ANZ and Brookvale are disliked by the fans of their tenants.Two happen to have large fan bases.Comparing % fo members to attendees in the case of ANZ is useless.it;s basically unloved in its current format.
Even the Swans fans deserted ANZ when they played there.WSW fans don't like it.Bledisloe is having difficulty offloading tickets, which the Tele are flogging many for $30.
Crowd drops are not just an NRL phenomenon.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Because membership doesn't automatically mean crowds?

Clubs have become a lot more clever at selling the non-ticketed and limited game memberships in recent years, following in Souths' footsteps who were arguably pioneers in the area.

Also, it's more than 5 years of growth, it's more like 10 years, the NRL/clubs started focusing on membership around 2008 or so from memory.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Cause most of the memberships sold are either cheaper 3 game memberships or similar offers, or they're dodgy memberships like non-ticketed or 1 game memberships, etc.

I've been saying it for years, but the way membership numbers are recorded is stupid, they need to start differentiating between season ticket holders, ticketed memberships, and non-ticketed memberships (to be honest the clubs probably do but don't release the numbers publicly), otherwise it's a completely useless measurement of the club's success cause it's so easily manipulated.
I don't buy this "they're dodgy" line.

I completely agree if they're releasing figures they should be split and rocgnised properly for all to see, but I don't agree with the suggestions that all limited-game and non-ticketed memberships are dodgy. I live interstate from my club, why shouldn't I be counted as a member simply because I can't attend as often anymore?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think effect of the membership growth will only be a term cultural shift...

While there are a f*ck tonne of NRL fans, most of us express our love for our team by watching at the pub and wearing the jumpers around town. What memberships will do is create the idea that you are only REALLY a fan if you express it in "official" ways (attendence, memberships, club days, etc.)

The VFL has done an amazing job at pushing the idea that only "real fans" are counted in these official ways.

Also, i think it will help clubs become more fan focused and less sponsor/tv dependent. With the huge guaranteed yearly revenue from memberships, teams will finally succeed/fail based on their popularity and fan engagement, not just who has the riches Leagues Club/sugar daddy.

carcharias

Immortal
I heard a topic Mat Johns was talking about this morning.
He said Baseball in the US has lost a heap of younger viewers and fans.
They reckon it’s because of online games like fornite.
People ( young males ) are too busy playing that shit.

On Sunday at halftime in the Sharks v Storm game I went down to my man cave to get a few beers.
My son was down there playing fortnite.
Didn’t have a clue the sharks were on tv.

I looked at him and thought when I was his age the footy was our fortnite.

I take him to home games but I reckon he’d be just as happy to stay home playing fortnite.
We are pretty strict - no fortnite during the week.
But that is a double edged sword.
Come the weekend that’s all he wants to do.
His mates are on it every day.
Before and after school.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The NRL actually has a better conversion rate of.members as weekly attendees then the AFL
15K out of an average of 20K members per club

While the AFLs is
34K out of an average of 55K members per club

taipan

Referee
I think for a code who has only really been pushing memberships in recent years, we are doing OK with continuous increases overall.4% roughly, jump this year.
I'd be expecting the Eels membership to jump from 2019 ,with their new stadium.

If you have Foxtel you have to wonder why you would leave the best view of the game with replays,commentary and information, cheapest food and drink, watch other games to otherwise battle the traffic, pay for parking, sit in an uncomfortable seat and sometimes have to listen to other putrid fans for less and less of a game day experience each year.

It’s not rocket science.

I will also add they are adding more and more shyte time slots to appease TV so we might as well watch the game on the box.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If you have Foxtel you have to wonder why you would leave the best view of the game with replays,commentary and information, cheapest food and drink, watch other games to otherwise battle the traffic, pay for parking, sit in an uncomfortable seat and sometimes have to listen to other putrid fans for less and less of a game day experience each year.

It’s not rocket science.

I will also add they are adding more and more shyte time slots to appease TV so we might as well watch the game on the box.
Well you'd have to ask if you're in fact a fan at all
Support doesn't mean sitting on your arse on your couch afterall

Well you'd have to ask if you're in fact a fan at all
Support doesn't mean sitting on your arse on your couch afterall

I never said I don’t attend some games.

Because I do.

Even though at times it takes me 1.5 hours to attend a home game.

I was just giving a reason why more and more people have been saying f**k it and watching it on the box.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I never said I don’t attend some games.

Because I do.

Even though at times it takes me 1.5 hours to attend a home game.

I was just giving a reason why more and more people have been saying f**k it and watching it on the box.
More & more Sydneysiders maybe
Every other place in the NRL world has either held their average or increased it, certainly when they are playing well & conditions are good despite near wall to wall coverage.

If Sydneysiders think it's all too hard then it's about time to move on from Sydney because imo their attitude to the game & their club will never improve

2nd Brisbane
2nd NZ
Perth
CC

New eyeballs both on TV & at the ground
That's the future