What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's interesting, as Flegg has merely replaced NYC and thus not added to the playing base compared to previous years the rationale for axing SS appears to be is that the NSWRL has to administer a comp that previously under the NRL and the admin demands are such that it needs to get rid of another comp.

RMC clubs need 25 or more players of RMC standard due to injuries etc so the raison d'etre for the SS (apart from the independent SS clubs) is to house those additional players so they ready to slot in when required. It is fair to say that the SS standard has fallen away this year, especially with the withdrawal of Mounties, who always had strong teams, but even so the top 5 are much better than the pub teams they would play if SS disappeared.
I'm not sure that's exactly true - I think the issue has become that there isn't a deep enough talent pool to warrant having RMC and SS as separate competitions. For a couple of seasons now both comps only have 11-12 teams with 8 team finals and it really cheapens it.

rightleftin

Juniors
I'm not sure that's exactly true - I think the issue has become that there isn't a deep enough talent pool to warrant having RMC and SS as separate competitions. For a couple of seasons now both comps only have 11-12 teams with 8 team finals and it really cheapens it.

Simple answer to that is have real finals ie 5 teams instead having 8 which is only appropriate for a comp with 16-20 teams like NRL and AFL. Even if SS is gone, the clowns will still have 8 team finals in RMC. For many years RMC/JBC had 5 team finals even when 8 out of 11 occurred in ISP and then the rubbish started in RMC and then also SS.

Timmah

Staff member
I agree it's been shambolic up to now, hopefully a Top 5 is in the thoughts if both comps continue and have similar numbers

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
SS

Moorebank 36 St Marys 32

Moorebank are showing they are real contenders with back to back wins against the 2 heavyweights. Austin Dias was one of their try scorers today after moving over from Guildford SS.

In the 6 wins we've had in a row, we've defeated the Top 4 of Saints, EC Eagles, Wenty and Asquith.

I say this with complete honesty, I wouldn't have picked this at all, compared to where they came in 2017.
The boys continue to amaze me each and every week, and I could not be prouder of these blokes.

Austin Dias was fantastic today!

rightleftin

Juniors
In the 6 wins we've had in a row, we've defeated the Top 4 of Saints, EC Eagles, Wenty and Asquith.

I say this with complete honesty, I wouldn't have picked this at all, compared to where they came in 2017.
The boys continue to amaze me each and every week, and I could not be prouder of these blokes.

Austin Dias was fantastic today!

Having the 2 Jakes helps - Horton was the top pointscorer a few years ago when playing with Mounties and Kamire provides a bit size and experience to the forwards.

imgunawin72

Juniors
I am assuming that the clubs pay player registration fees of some sort to the NSWRL for their SS players, so I would think its in NSWRL ‘s fianancial interest to keep SS going.

Timmah

Staff member
I am assuming that the clubs pay player registration fees of some sort to the NSWRL for their SS players, so I would think its in NSWRL ‘s fianancial interest to keep SS going.
I imagine the idea would be to consolidate the two comps into one therefore NSWRL would be hoping SS clubs that aren't in RMC would join the higher comp

rightleftin

Juniors
I imagine the idea would be to consolidate the two comps into one therefore NSWRL would be hoping SS clubs that aren't in RMC would join the higher comp

Belrose can only beat the bottom 2 shield teams so its back to Northern A grade for them. Its great to see Moorebank going well but they are well short of RMC standard. If Cabra go standalone in ISP maybe Moorebank would not cop too many floggings in RMC if they had 4 or 5 Bulldog ISP squad each week, so that would increase it to 12.

That leaves East Campbelltown - If things haven't changed in Group 6 where they were banned, they could go to Illawarra or RMC providing they were prepared to fund the supplementation of the existing squad to be competitive or if they want to continue their winning ways they would drop back to the Combined A Grade and together with Wenty flog everyone by 60 points each week.

Asquith could go back to Northern A grade. Not sure about St Marys - they may be able to join Penrith A grade if they can link with another club in A reserves, otherwise send players to Colyton.

imgunawin72

Juniors
If they do that they’ll still cutting the total number of teams and player numbers and hence their revenue. Foolish move in my opinion

rightleftin

Juniors
Some years back Penrith decided to merge the 1st and 2nd Divison of their A grades. It meant there were a lot of early finishes because the mercy rule applied and generally the 1st division sides were up by 60 before the game went the distance against 2nd division sides.

MasseyShield86

Juniors
Austin Dias seems to have been found out as a skirt at Guildford And has moved on to Moorebank where he played like a Skirt and went hiding when it got tough.

Where do you guys reckon the next option for Austin is?

rightleftin

Juniors
Vaipuna Tia Kilifi intended to continue with Mounties this season but an injury in preseason and the lack of a SS team means that he has moved to Colyton A Grade where Eddie To'o and Daniel Penese are leading the best and fairest.

rightleftin

Juniors
Hey guys can i get your opinion on Obed Karwhin big talk around Redcliffe hyping him up. I remember him playing hills ron massey and being quite average

He is no longer with Redcliffe, now playing A Grade for Brisbane Wests Panthers, scoring a try in their 60-6 loss to Brisbane Easts on the weekend.

rightleftin

Juniors
What happened there, I have had nothing but good experiences at East Campbelltown, players and officials included

Apart from a few years where East Campbelltown were in Jim Beam Cup, the Eagles were part of the Wests or Canterbury A grade comps. They decided to go to Group 6 and branded themselves as Campbelltown Eagles. Group 6 has a player points system and a lot of the EC players have played with the club for years but the season after they won group 6 that group ruled that Campbelltown Eagles were a separate entity from East Campbelltown and all the juniors were imports and they were thrown out.

I would think that most people would see that ruling as absurd but from what I have read one of the EC officials rubs a lot of people the wrong way and the ruling reeks of payback.

kbw

Bench
thanks, I would have been surprised if they kicked out for more inappropriate things

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC

Mounties 18 Hills 6
Blacktown 26 Wests 16
St Marys 24 Asquith 4
Guildford 44 Brothers 28
Wenty 40 Cabra 6

Wenty led 32-0 at half time after Jordan Latham had to be replaced after the first tackle of the game. As a result Kurt DeLuis played all but the last 4 minutes and reportedly was man of the match. Apparently, there are a few players on report and Paul Simona suffered a serious injury.

Last week Guildford lost to Dubbo Cyms 62-18. Matt Ryan, Josh Lewis and Mitch Achurch missed that game but just after half time, when trailing 22-12, Caleb Kasiano was sent off allowing Dubbo to run riot. Guildford were on fire today for the first 45 minutes leading 32-6 with Reardon and Longbottom making huge yards and the Owls looking a different team with Lewis controlling the game in the middle. Brothers look much better when they have the ball and given a bit of latitude, piled on 3 tries in 8 minutes to put themselves back in the game at 22-32 with 25 minutes left. However, when Lewis sliced through the game was over.

SS

East Campbelltown 34 Blacktown 14
Guildford 20 Brothers 14
St Marys 26 Asquith 16
Cabra 18 Wenty 14
Moorebank 70 Hills 0

Cabra have pulled off an upset over a Wenty side that that include Kauri Aupouri and Danny Howard returning after some time out of the game. Last year Moorebank were on the receiving end of some cricket scores but now are capable of handing out a few beltings.

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
do you know what sort of injury Paul Simona got ? and was it players from both sides on report, hopefully not a spiteful game?
I didn't manage to see the Massey game.
Saw the SS and Wenty were nothing like the side I saw in round 2

rightleftin

Juniors
do you know what sort of injury Paul Simona got ? and was it players from both sides on report, hopefully not a spiteful game?
I didn't manage to see the Massey game.
Saw the SS and Wenty were nothing like the side I saw in round 2

I wasn't at the game but I heard that the ambulance collected Simona after the game. I think it is Minhinnick and Jarred Anderson on report.

In round 2 Wenty had a bye in ISP so some ISP in RMC and some RMC in SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.