What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Offseason thread

shiznit

Coach
I’m hearing his deal lowered his initial number so it should free up some immediate cash for Donald’s negotiations...

You motherf**kers need to hurry up and sign Donald so the Mack deal can hurry up and get done...

And i bet you guys are saying the same about us... :joy::joy:

zombie jesus

Staff member
This will be Bell's last year in Pittsburgh, not enough guaranteed cash for his liking.

I predict 25 touches a game through the first 10-12 before he breaks down. Then the Jets will pay him a motza, however Jon Gruden will make a play to get him to the Raiders.

kurt faulk

Coach
I’m hearing his deal lowered his initial number so it should free up some immediate cash for Donald’s negotiations...

You motherf**kers need to hurry up and sign Donald so the Mack deal can hurry up and get done...

And i bet you guys are saying the same about us... :joy::joy:

They're playing a game of chicken. Although Mack is making $13m this year isn't he? He can probably wait for a new deal.

Donald should get paid more no matter what because he is the better player but we all know the guy that signs second will make a little more so he can say he's the highest paid player. I refuse to believe Donald will not sign an extension this year because of an ego driven desire to boast he is the highest paid defensive player in the league.

kurt faulk

Coach
This will be Bell's last year in Pittsburgh, not enough guaranteed cash for his liking.

I predict 25 touches a game through the first 10-12 before he breaks down. Then the Jets will pay him a motza, however Jon Gruden will make a play to get him to the Raiders.

$27m over 2 years on the franchise tag is nothing to sneeze at.

What's the bet he makes a few business decisions this year when he's running the ball.

nick87

Coach
I think the deal the Steelers offered, if reported correctly, was pretty strong and i doubt Lev gets much more than that on an open market.

nick87

Coach
They're playing a game of chicken. Although Mack is making $13m this year isn't he? He can probably wait for a new deal.

Donald should get paid more no matter what because he is the better player but we all know the guy that signs second will make a little more so he can say he's the highest paid player. I refuse to believe Donald will not sign an extension this year because of an ego driven desire to boast he is the highest paid defensive player in the league.

I dont think that's gonna happen in this case.
I think the Mack team is aware they wont get Donald money, and are waiting for the Donald deal to come in so they can figure it out from there

Where as i think Donald team wants Mack paid first so they have the STARTING point for negotiations
Either way in terms of who signs first, i dont see Mack's deal trumping Donald's.

shiznit

Coach
I dont think that's gonna happen in this case.
I think the Mack team is aware they wont get Donald money, and are waiting for the Donald deal to come in so they can figure it out from there

Where as i think Donald team wants Mack paid first so they have the STARTING point for negotiations
Either way in terms of who signs first, i dont see Mack's deal trumping Donald's.
I think Macks will be bigger...

Unfortunately for Donald he’s seen strictly as an interior rusher.

Mack is an edge rusher/outside linebacker.

edge rushers just earn more an defensive tackles.

I don’t think that’s fair.... and I absolutely rate Aaron Donald as the best defensive player in football.

But at the end of the day... 4 our of the top 5 highest paid defenders are edge rushers... and Fletcher Cox is the highest DT at #4.

Add in the Raiders really having no leverage as he is the only decent piece in the entire defence where the Rams have other pieces... Mack has Reggie by the balls.

He’s just waiting for Donald to give him a starting point.

And who’s gonna argue with him... he’s the first and only player in NFL history to be named All Pro in two positions in the same season.

Dudes gonna get PAID... and he f**kibg knows it... he’s just waiting on Donald....

shiznit

Coach

Nahhh he’s in his mid 20’s... He won’t be on Grudens radar for another 5 years... :joy::joy:

AusKnightRKO

First Grade

yes, the rams extend cooks for 5 years. that means the whole gang will be together for at least another 3 seasons. good times.

5 years for $81m. including this season that works out to be 6 years for $89m. an average of $14.8m per year. good for both sides.

Its a massive overpay, but if he performs it won’t be as noticeable.

dogslife

Coach
Cooks appears to be talented enough, but I always wonder about guys that get traded multiple times.

Rams really need to bring it home this year or next, because there isn't much coming through with all these contracts they're dishing out

kurt faulk

Coach
Cooks appears to be talented enough, but I always wonder about guys that get traded multiple times.

Rams really need to bring it home this year or next, because there isn't much coming through with all these contracts they're dishing out

I'll have a stab at it.

The saints defence was horrible two years ago. Like historically bad. They drafted Michael Thomas that year and he is a stud. Cooks became expendable as they needed to upgrade their d before extending cooks. The rams tried to trade for cooks last year and almost got there with offering Tru Johnson until the saints changed tack and traded cooks to the cheats for a 1st. Smart move by them because they drafted Lattimore at one tenth of the price tru would have cost them.

The cheats were never gonna pay cooks. They basically got a one year rental of him for no cost.

So the rams got their man in the end. Mcvay loves the guy.

nick87

Coach
Yeah im not that worried about Cooks being on a 3rd team...
It seems more a situation of circumstances, i think Kurt is pretty spot on on that. The Saints needed D and found Thomas, so he wasnt really needed (and that system has never REALLY needed a true #1 either), the Pats thing was always a rental, and now the Rams trade for him and immediately lock him up.. forget about the teams that have given him up... think about this...

Sean Peyten drafted him with a first round pick, BB and McVey gave up firsts to get him... Doug Peterson TRIED to trade for him with a first and Malcom Jenkins...

3 of the best 5 offensive minds in the game, and the Goat BB who evaluated Cooks and liked what he could give them.

As my bidding for him in the FOSL shows, im VERY bullish on him in this situation. I think he's going to explode under McVey

kurt faulk

Coach

rams extend gurley. 4 years, $60m, $45m in guarantees. have him locked up for the next 6 years.

well done to both side. rams gave a fair offer and gurley wasn't a greedy sob.

kurt faulk

Coach

people around the league must be looking at the steelers and thinking how could they offer bell such a shit contract.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Need to see what the fully guaranteed at signing amount is, that's what Bell haggled over.

Guaranteed and guarantees, two different things with NFL contracts.

kurt faulk

Coach

the rams don't skimp on guarantees. gurley will get his guarantees early then have non guaranteed salary at the back end.

nick87

Coach
Glad to see some RB deal get done, should help the others get theirs done too.

DJ, Lev and Elliott all going to be looking at that number and working off it. That deal will look like a bargin in a few years imo

zombie jesus

Staff member
Seems likely, different philosophies on cap management. Steelers generally go smaller than most up front with roster bonuses through the early years, which is what Bell got his knickers in a knot about I think.

Good timing for the Rams to get it done now before Bell and Johnson get paid next off season.

ggmu

Juniors
Any way to watch the hall of fame game tomorrow in Australia? Keen to see my Ravens in action, even if it’s a pointless pre season game.