What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Pacific Tests ....Are they scheduled to return ?

Force

Juniors
Well it should mate give them Tonga or nz. Atmosphere and crowds should be taken into account. Its something special and when Toa meet MMT and Kiwis.
Pacific Island crowds are always going to go off no matter who they play against but theres really only one rivalry that stands out in the Pacific and that is Samoa v Tonga.

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
Im not sold on PNG vs Fiji doing more for the game than PNG v Lebanon. I dont see how you have come to that conclusion. If the quarterfinal game against Tonga this afternoon is anything to go by, Lebanon will be an asset to the Mid year tests.

We need to have all Nations playing meaningful tests and this includes Lebanon and the Cook Islands, whether or not one thinks they're worthwhile or not. I get what people are saying about playing tests in their home countries but we have to be realistic here, National bodies are broke. If it werent for the NRL backing the Pacific mid-year tests, they wouldn't be happening. Also, I'd doubt clubs would release their players to play halfway around the world for a one-off test, they'll just make up some 2 week injury excuse.

Well shouldn't Lebanon play England in Europe. They are not a Pacific team and part of the aprlfc. Maybe every two years after world cup should be continental championships played at the same time. Europe should have theirs and us in Asia Pacific should be playing and develop.

Force

Juniors
Well shouldn't Lebanon play England in Europe. They are not a Pacific team and part of the aprlfc. Maybe every two years after world cup should be continental championships played at the same time. Europe should have theirs and us in Asia Pacific should be playing and develop.
England will probably play NZ during the mid year window but I cant see why Lebanon couldn't play England at the end of the year. We certainly need to change the name of the Pacific tests to some other name so people wont get upset over including a non-Pacific team. (edit: would be good to see a continental championship run between world cups but knowing Rugby league, we'll screw it up somehow.)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Your argument still doesnt stack up as the situations of the Pacific Countries you highlight are the same for Lebanon.

Lebanon rely on heritage players, so do the Pacific. Large migrant Pacific populations in OZ/NZ, same as Lebanese. The games in Sydney appeal to Sydney based Lebanese fans, same as the Sydney based Pacific fans. You're trying to find fault with Lebanon but not realising the same faults apply to the Pacific Islands.

The Cooks lost to Tonga in their World Cup qualifier, 28-8, that scoreline flattered Tonga as it was alot closer than what it suggests with Tonga only getting away with it in the last 10mins. Any other tier two team would've lost that game too so thats no blight on the Cooks effort and that was with a weakened Cook Islands side with only a couple of NRL players. The Cooks also beat Lebanon last year and narrowly lost to PNG this year so I wouldn't write them off so easily, especially if they could get their top players.

At the end of the day, Lebanon, like the Cooks need games, thats what it comes down to. Maybe if we changed the name of the Pacific tests to just mid-year tests will you see theres no harm in having Lebanon play in this test match as the Pacific Nations are still playing, so too Lebanon.

PS, the population of Samoa alone is almost 200,000, thats not including the even larger ex-pat Samoans around the world. Tonga is a shade over 100,000, once again, not including the large ex-pat Tongan population.

Ok - my point is that the Pacific Tests are a part of the NRL's pacific strategy to develop PI nations for the benefit of their national teams and for the benefit of player numbers and depth in the NRL. So, my argument is that I want all slots availabe at that event to be filled by Pacific teams, not RLEF member nations (Lebanon OR England).

My point on Aussie-Lebanon is a separate one. I think the best thing for Lebanon to do is to play tests at home to build on their world cup momentum.

Force

Juniors
Ok - my point is that the Pacific Tests are a part of the NRL's pacific strategy to develop PI nations for the benefit of their national teams and for the benefit of player numbers and depth in the NRL. So, my argument is that I want all slots availabe at that event to be filled by Pacific teams, not RLEF member nations (Lebanon OR England).

My point on Aussie-Lebanon is a separate one. I think the best thing for Lebanon to do is to play tests at home to build on their world cup momentum.
Thats weird you say that considering you have a problem with The Cook Islands playing in the Pacific Cup, yet they are a Pacific team.

I dont see a problem having Lebanon added to the comp because the Pacific teams are still playing games and so too Lebanon.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Thats weird you say that considering you have a problem with The Cook Islands playing in the Pacific Cup, yet they are a Pacific team.

I dont see a problem having Lebanon added to the comp because the Pacific teams are still playing games and so too Lebanon.

I don't have a problem with them playing but Fiji deserve the respect of a match up with PNG, not the Cook Islands who are clearly weaker than the big four Pacific sides. It it is going to be a triple header, no problems but invite Vanuatu, Niue or the Solomon Islands to play against them.

Lebanon are an RLEF member and should be arranging tests either in Lebanon or in Europe against other RLEF members to grow the game in Europe.

Anyway, we don’t agree on those issues but I think we can both agree that at least national teams other than the big three are getting to play regular test matches which is always a good thing.

Force

Juniors
I don't have a problem with them playing but Fiji deserve the respect of a match up with PNG, not the Cook Islands who are clearly weaker than the big four Pacific sides. It it is going to be a triple header, no problems but invite Vanuatu, Niue or the Solomon Islands to play against them.

Lebanon are an RLEF member and should be arranging tests either in Lebanon or in Europe against other RLEF members to grow the game in Europe.

Anyway, we don’t agree on those issues but I think we can both agree that at least national teams other than the big three are getting to play regular test matches which is always a good thing.
People said the same thing about Lebanon being weaker than Tonga with only a couple NRL players to Tonga's star-studded, NRL ladden team yet Lebanon almost beat them. Cooks beat Lebanon last year, they also ran PNG close this year and pushed Tonga in their WC qualifying game. The Cooks can field a good team to match the other Pacific Islands if they were at full strength. If international Rugby league has taught me anything it would be not to write any team off.