What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Pre-season trials

Rich102

Staff member
Six new faces will feature for the Warriors in their first trial hit-out against Melbourne Storm at Rotorua International Stadium on Saturday.

Coach Stephen Kearney's 23-man squad includes experienced Kiwis international Peta Hiku, Cook Islands representative Anthony Gelling, Mate Ma'a Tonga players Agnatius Paasi and Leivaha Pulu, Taupo-raised Matiu Love-Henry and 18-year-old Rotorua Boys' High School product Hayze Perham.

Wing David Fusitu'a, five-eighth Ata Hingano and centre Solomone Kata are also included after starring for Tonga at the Rugby League World Cup.

Centre and 167-game veteran Blake Ayshford will be the side's most experienced campaigner while he's joined by Toa Samoa World Cup forwards Sam Lisone and Bunty Afoa as well as former Tonga international Albert Vete, who were all NRL regulars last season.

Kearney will also rely on Toa Samoa wing Ken Maumalo, 2017 NRL rookies Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Isaiah Papali'i and Chris Satae, along with Mason Lino, Ligi Sao and Jazz Tevaga who all featured in first-grade last year.

Halfback Lino, the club's Intrust Super Premiership captain last year, will lead the side in the absence of usual skipper and fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

As expected, Kearney has opted to rest Tuivasa-Sheck and Kiwis halfback Shaun Johnson, who recently underwent eye surgery, while new signings Adam Blair, Tohu Harris and Blake Green will also miss the match.

Those players are likely to feature in the Warriors second and last trial game against the Gold Coast Titans on the Sunshine Coast on February 24.

"You get a real sense the players are just looking forward to getting their hands on the ball at last," said Kearney.

"It has been a long preseason for most of them. We believe they've prepared as well as they can but right now they're just a bit anxious about playing.

"It's a chance for all these players to have a run and especially for our new players to experience playing alongside their new team-mates."

Hooker Issac Luke is one notable omission, though the former Kiwis No9 has been troubled with minor leg injuries throughout the pre-season, while back-up rake Nathaniel Roache is still on the comeback trail after suffering a season-ending Achilles injury last August.

Kearney is yet to settle on a starting line-up while the team will travel to Rotorua on Thursday and fulfil various promotional duties ahead of the match against the defending NRL premiers.

The Storm are set to name a similarly understrength side with most of their big guns remaining in Melbourne for Friday's World Club Challenge match against English Super League Champions Leeds Rhinos at AAMI Park.

Warriors v Storm at Rotorua International Stadium, 3pm Saturday
Warriors: Bunty Afoa, Blake Ayshford, Sam Cook, David Fusitu'a, Anthony Gelling, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Peta Hiku, Ata Hingano, Solomone Kata, Mason Lino (c), Sam Lisone, Matiu Love-Henry, Ken Maumalo, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Agnatius Paasi, Hayze Perham, Chris Satae, Isaiah Papali'I, Leivaha Pulu, Ligi Sao Lewis Soosemea, Jazz Tevaga, Albert Vete.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11993732

ozbash

Referee
Bit of a training jog for both teams methinks..
Can' really test positional pairings with the big names out.

$20 GA admission ?
South stand on game day is better value. Push them away Warriors..

Rich102

Staff member
ON TV. SS2 3PM. 2 Hours.
WHAT? 2 second string teams?
Still watch though.

Final score 20-14.
Didn't see any of it and I know our top 6 (?) players out.
But Storm literally their B team, none will make their top team this year, bar massive injury toll.

Diesel

Referee
Final score 20-14.
Didn't see any of it and I know our top 6 (?) players out.
But Storm literally their B team, none will make their top team this year, bar massive injury toll.
Didn’t watch it either but I’d say it’s the Storm’s C team. This was mainly QLD Cup players

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
What's the story with Paasi?

Yeah I can' imagine too many of these players will be in our top team...Fus, Hiku, Paasi, maybe a handful of others.
Probably have 12 different players in our top 17 in guessing

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
A lot of us tipped us to finish 15th or under this year so there really shouldnt be any surprises. I know its only pre-season and we do have a knack for starting the season proper slow but its going to be a tough year.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Bro not our A-team but there was 14 first graders out there today form the Warriors!!!, how many first graders in the storm line up?
Just because someone's played first grade doesn't make them a first grader :wink:
Haha I know what you mean, but come on, Lino, Ata, Bunty and Papali haven't even played 20 games each yet.
And we all know Maumalo and Kata aren't first graders haha.

Almost exactly what I would have expected from a game like this, it literally tells us nothing

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s a trial, results are basically meaningless unless it’s one way traffic for the whole game. Coaches often pull players off as soon as they’ve seen what they want from them rather than risk them getting injured playing a full game.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Yep, it's a trial. But why advertise it as Warriors vs Storm at Rotorua when it is so decidedly second class. A lot of the players weren't even in the numbers shown on the team list. Shoddy. And they only drew half a crowd - a very quiet crowd.
On to the football. I hoped to see fitter players and a bit of structure and cohesion. The backs looked like they had never met each other before and certainly not passed a ball around before, not that Kata passes anyway. The backline worked far better when Ayshford came on and Charnze moved from fullback to center. Satae was busy as was Pulu. Papalii was probably the best. But Gavet is not a lock.
But after 15 minutes the Warriors were blowing and the Storm looked fresher. Paasi and Hingano got injured and subbed off.
Suosemea showed some speed in a length of the field chase.
However the exciting prospects were in the storm side. Grant and the two Drinkwater brothers have great potential. And have we recruited in the Pacific islands? The Storm have a couple with potential.
Then I watched the Storm top side beat the Rhinos and realised it's going to be another long season.

If you want boring football in 2018 the Warriors are for you.

Last edited:
Was impressed with Satae. Was the standout in the pack for me just ahead of Pulu, Sao was busy and Gavet tried hard

But FFS Kata needs to go back to Fox footy. Jumped outta the line in the 3rd minute to let in a try then tries a barge over later on