What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R10 Thu - Wests Tigers 20-12 Cowboys @ Leichhardt

Round 10: Wests Tigers v Cowboys

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smack

Coach
Yeah just wondering what it's gonna take for the cowboys to get back into form, maybe origin.

Smack

Coach
Yes he had to play for the dragons.

Tactic taught by Jeff Stryker.

R20 when he saw it

Vq3.gif

Welcome back Cliff. You have a side to get behind and be proud of this season.

Tigers looked much more settled and played more direct with Packer back which gave Benji more space to derp it up. Brooks needs to be the main man and get Masters, Thompson and Fonua as much early ball as possible. Goalkicking will cost them a big game if it doesn't get fixed soon Thompson is one helluva player and Fonua was just outstanding today.

I don't know what to say about the Cowboys, their fall from grace is somewhat sad to see considering their insane finals run last season.

Good post. I'm convinced he will help get them into finals footy this year.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I stopped watching after the 3 straight errors in the start of the second. Once a team gets the dropseys they don’t go away. Ended up being right. Looks like fonua is getting back to his tackle breaking best. Bloke was a machine in his first esl season

mxlegend99

Referee

It's never that simple. The Cows were pumped up for that game and found serious defensive holes, but they were plugged and it ended 4 tries all. They won on goal kicks. But the trademark Cowboys forward roll was there last week. It was completely absent tonight, and their completion rate was poor as well, especially in the second half. 70% tonight compared with 85% last week.
If you spot your opposition a 20 nil headstart its safe to say you played like shit.

The fact they let us back in shows both teams last week played like shit. Its certsinly not a case of both playing well.

Clifferd

Coach
Welcome back Cliff. You have a side to get behind and be proud of this season.

Tigers looked much more settled and played more direct with Packer back which gave Benji more space to derp it up. Brooks needs to be the main man and get Masters, Thompson and Fonua as much early ball as possible. Goalkicking will cost them a big game if it doesn't get fixed soon Thompson is one helluva player and Fonua was just outstanding today.

I don't know what to say about the Cowboys, their fall from grace is somewhat sad to see considering their insane finals run last season.

I said it before but Packer is probably our most important player, not for his bustling runs or offloads etc but just his sheer presence on the field. He hits like a truck in defense too. He is the driver of our forward pack

As soon as he went off we looked lost, then he comes back on and we ice the game. I have no doubt if he plays the last 3 games for us we probably win the Knights and Parra game. I think if we are to make the 8 Packer needs to be injury free

Brooks is finally starting to become the player we all thought he’d become and Fonua, what can I say

ed-grimley

Bench
Massive problems at the Cows. Great roster, great coach and playing horrendously. f**k knows what’s up at the club. This Bolton issue won’t do them any favours either.
Was Taumalolo actually there? Scott looks old and fat.
As a Parra supporter I'm not really in the position to criticise anyone but this team was in the last GF.

Lambretta

First Grade
What an entertaining game of Rugby League - the Tigers left side attack was awesome all night long
Mahe Fonua was a friggin' monsta! He was great in the Super League for the last couple of years and its great to see him playing well here.

Benji made some good decisions with the ball in hand and always looked to be troubling the Cowboys defence. Not sure if that was Benji back at Leichhardt or the fact the Cowboys were at 6's and 7's all night?

Good crowd at Leichhardt helped - almost made Thursday Night Football seem like an ok idea.

Well done Tigerpies on a great result

beave

Coach
We’ve had a really good run over the last 7 years so I’m not complaining at this season already being a write-off. A major overhaul to the squad is obviously required but I just dont know who you can bring in immediatley to make adjustments other than GGM for Winters and Tuala for O’neill.

There’s a lot of players in that team that have played very well over a long period but as a collective they are just 2 steps behind everyone else and I think age and a bit of complacency has finally crept in. If Green keeps O’neill and Winterstein beyond this season he needs crucifying. O’neill is f**king pathetic and Winterstein is just too slow. That breakaway try to him was f**king comical last night, it looked like me out there running after the Home Ice Cream truck after it’s driven past my house............

My main concern with an overhaul of the squad for next year, I just don’t know who they can sign as a lot of the good players ensured their new contracts started this year with the new TV money so its gonna be slim pickings IMO for decent players to come in.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Was Taumalolo actually there? Scott looks old and fat.
As a Parra supporter I'm not really in the position to criticise anyone but this team was in the last GF.
Taumalolo was well contained all night, but didn't seem to be making much effort. Scott was a joke, esp when he went for the big hit in the second half and ended up sitting on the grass looking like he didn't feel like getting up again.

Clifferd

Coach
We’ve had a really good run over the last 7 years so I’m not complaining at this season already being a write-off. A major overhaul to the squad is obviously required but I just dont know who you can bring in immediatley to make adjustments other than GGM for Winters and Tuala for O’neill.

There’s a lot of players in that team that have played very well over a long period but as a collective they are just 2 steps behind everyone else and I think age and a bit of complacency has finally crept in. If Green keeps O’neill and Winterstein beyond this season he needs crucifying. O’neill is f**king pathetic and Winterstein is just too slow. That breakaway try to him was f**king comical last night, it looked like me out there running after the Home Ice Cream truck after it’s driven past my house............

My main concern with an overhaul of the squad for next year, I just don’t know who they can sign as a lot of the good players ensured their new contracts started this year with the new TV money so its gonna be slim pickings IMO for decent players to come in.

I know it feels weird saying this and many others share the same opinion but Thurston needs to hurry up and retire, aswell as Scott. They just can’t handle week to week NRL anymore

It’s not all doom and gloom though, as Morgan and Te Martin work together well in the halves. Hampton can be handy aswell

Cowboys need to base their club around Morgan, Martin, Lolo, Hess, McLean and probably need a new fullback. If you guys can grab Holmes as a replacement for Coote that’d be neat...Ponga would’ve been better to keep though

TheFrog

Coach
I thought the Tiges showed much of their early season grit combined with a bit of flair as well. Tough game at the Riff next week.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Actually, I do like Cook

It's strange saying that about a Souths player, but you have some really likable players at the moment
Sam Burgess, Cook, Crichton, Alex Johnston

Who'd have thunk it?
Radley good to watch for you guys too. Plus Latrell when in some space.

Noname36

First Grade
And how sh*t is Thurston? I mean, that awful defence has always been there but it looks worse now that he can't do anything else right

Thurston's a great player - I'll always have a spot for him due the massive LOL at the Broncos he helped give us a couple of years back and I have fond memories of watching him run around with Matt Bowen in their prime...however to me he's never come close to the "greatest ever tag" that most Qlders and people too young to remember Johns praise on him.

That was an important win for the Tigers too. With their losses in previous weeks they would have been really disappointed given how they started the year.

Last edited:

Dave_

Juniors
Thurston's a great player - I'll always have a spot for him due the massive LOL at the Broncos he helped give us a couple of years back and I have fond memories of watching him run around with Matt Bowen in their prime...however to me he's never come close to the "greatest ever tag" that most Qlders and people too young to remember Johns praise on him.

That was an important win for the Tigers too. With their losses in previous weeks they would have been really disappointed given how they started the year.
Thurston was absolutely a great player and I agree on the spot for him for the LOL@donkeys moment but as you said, he's not close to Johns. QLD's best ever player maybe but best ever? Not even...

Lambretta

First Grade
Winterstein is just too slow. That breakaway try to him was f**king comical last night, it looked like me out there running after the Home Ice Cream truck after it’s driven past my house............

Put him in the Maroon of QLD and he'll grow three extra legs and run the 100 in 5 seconds

I have him in my fantasy team so when he did that I laughed and then went "woo - he might score more than 20 points this week"