What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R20 Thu - Broncos 12-10 Sharks @ Suncorp

Round 20: Broncos v Sharks

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Clark

Juniors
I thought most of sharks forwards were better up the middle for most of the night. Excluding Woods, he’s nothing but a big cat.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Have a look at this footage of the penalty against Moylan, Jimmy took the jet took his own player out, penalty broncos:

broncos knock on = penalty broncos... why the bunker couldn't chime in there and say guys you have that wrong Roberts as caused the contact while running Moylan off the ball (A penalty in itself mind you).

Broncos definitely got the 50/50 calls. The obstruction call in the first half that wasn't one in the second half and the prior strip stand out. Sharks got done for a 'flipping the tackled player over' penalty on the 5th tackle for which there was a few identical ones going the other way in the last 10 min where his whislte must have malfunctioned. another one with sims standing in the ruck with his hands up which was overlooked.. you knew there was no chance the ref was giving the sharks a penalty in front to tie the game.

Even with all that i still thought you should have won it and had plenty of chances to do so but your attack attack was terrible

i also thought Woods and Fifita (i know he was sick) were weak as piss... They are both massive units just run hard FFS!

MilkShark

First Grade
broncos knock on = penalty broncos... why the bunker couldn't chime in there and say guys you have that wrong Roberts as caused the contact while running Moylan off the ball (A penalty in itself mind you).

Broncos definitely got the 50/50 calls. The obstruction call in the first half that wasn't one in the second half and the prior strip stand out. Sharks got done for a 'flipping the tackled player over' penalty on the 5th tackle for which there was a few identical ones going the other way in the last 10 min where his whislte must have malfunctioned. another one with sims standing in the ruck with his hands up which was overlooked.. you knew there was no chance the ref was giving the sharks a penalty in front to tie the game.

Even with all that i still thought you should have won it and had plenty of chances to do so but your attack attack was terrible

i also thought Woods and Fifita (i know he was sick) were weak as piss... They are both massive units just run hard FFS!
Yep only our selves to blame mate.

Frailty

First Grade

Not to mention Milford running in to impede Lewis (or attempt to tackle on suspicion we was going to get a pass) chasing a grubber into the in goal.

The Bunker can only intervene in instances where a goal line drop out is called by the referee, but replay shows it should be a 20m restart (curiously not the other way around). The other instance that the bunker should have been allowed to intervene (but again NRL changed it so they couldn't) was where Boyd lost the ball in the tackle, but Prior was called as knocking it on.

Going into this game, everyone knew the Sharks were not going to get any calls - firstly, it's against Brisbane who never are on the bad side of calls, but secondly after the Raiders game last week. I'm not suggesting that it was intentional from referees, but rather due to subconscious factors related to being in the media all week.

Even with all that i still thought you should have won it and had plenty of chances to do so but your attack attack was terrible.

This was the biggest factor of the game. Sharks had plenty of ball, and dominated most of the game statistically. Sharks halves were just awful and couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

bubs

Juniors
It's a sad state of affairs when pretty much all of us armchair experts KNEW in advance how it was going to pan out.
I have huge concerns about that #penaltybroncos that led to their 2nd try. Plus the obvious others, Moylan and the #penaltybroncos for the obstruction, then ignored the other way later on.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Thought it was adjudicated perfectly, eyes on the ball or not it was a collision that placed Jamayne in a dangerous position, same as head high tackles, accidental contact with the head is still a penalty due to the dangerous nature of it. The disallowed try was fair and was right to be overruled, at no point did the ball hit the grass, great defence and recognised by the video referee.

Close game, thought both sides were not nearly at their best offensively and it won’t concern to many of the other teams in the top 8 but it pushes the broncos closer to a top 4 and we won’t be worried to face them in the finals should it happen, we have them covered.

Sorry to say but that opinion there is why we have part of the schmozzle we do. People keep saying they want the video referee to only do certain things, then chime in "well its an obvious error, why don't they intervene and correct it?"

You are never going to get all calls 100% right, as people are not perfect, and as referees and video referees are human they will never be perfect. I mean how many times have in previous years the video referee "intervened" in these kind of situations for one team, but then be silent when it happens for the other team? That is why it is only supposed to be used for certain situations and not as a safety blanket for reviewing all decisions in a game.

TheFrog

Coach
It's a sad state of affairs when pretty much all of us armchair experts KNEW in advance how it was going to pan out.
I have huge concerns about that #penaltybroncos that led to their 2nd try. Plus the obvious others, Moylan and the #penaltybroncos for the obstruction, then ignored the other way later on.
This sort of thing happens every week, in fact every year. Thinking horse fans know and embrace it. It doesn't happen in week 3 and 4 finals games though, which might be why such a successful club hasn't won a comp for so long. The players become accustomed to the legups and can't do without them.

Still, the Sharks could have won if they were good enough, and didn't miss a conversion right in front.

Last edited:

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Sorry to say but that opinion there is why we have part of the schmozzle we do. People keep saying they want the video referee to only do certain things, then chime in "well its an obvious error, why don't they intervene and correct it?"

You are never going to get all calls 100% right, as people are not perfect, and as referees and video referees are human they will never be perfect. I mean how many times have in previous years the video referee "intervened" in these kind of situations for one team, but then be silent when it happens for the other team? That is why it is only supposed to be used for certain situations and not as a safety blanket for reviewing all decisions in a game.

I see what you're saying but that was a unique circumstance where the bunker was already looking at it to see if it warranted further punishment.

i definitely agree that they shouldn't be intervening in general play ala the Matt Prior strip.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
Also interesting to note that Sutton also admitted a bunch of other mistakes including the Prior 'knock on' call, including a penalty to the broncos following a Kahu milk (Broncos scored following this penalty).

It's nice and all, but the Sharks still should have won with the amount of ball they had. Failed to capitalise on the chances they gave themselves.

carcharias

Immortal
Also interesting to note that Sutton also admitted a bunch of other mistakes including the Prior 'knock on' call, including a penalty to the broncos following a Kahu milk (Broncos scored following this penalty).

It's nice and all, but the Sharks still should have won with the amount of ball they had. Failed to capitalise on the chances they gave themselves.
Yep

_Johnsy

Referee
The game was a derpfest, the closeness was the only thing that made it watchable. 23 errors in total, & inept attack. It was that bad there was only one more error in the shitfest that was NQ V Newwie.