What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R3 Sat - Raiders 19-20 Warriors @ GIO

Round 3: Raiders v Warriors

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iafeta

Referee
I read into it Ricky is absolutely a wingeing sook.

Love his saltiness in the presser, a true joy to watch.

With the obstruction, Ricky banged about refs ruling on passes inside/outside the shoulder of the dummy runner. But that wasn't even considered by the video ref, he immediately, and correctly, disallowed the try was because your dummy runner ran into the warriors defender on the try line.

And stopped in the line to boot. He has to go through the line or not go into it. He literally was in the Warriors defensive line after engaging contact into Afoa who is looking to get out off the line to shut down the space.

Textbook obstruction. It amazes me a professional coach can hoodwink himself into thinking differently. If he thinks that play is on, it is a scary thought that he probably therefore coaches his teams to do it.

TheFrog

Coach
Ricky just mentioned that the obstruction isn’t being ruled consistently. Which is absolutely correct.
Yes, he is correct. But it's not why his team lost. They could not stop the opposition marching up the field twice in a row to kick field goals, having conceded a very soft try with 3 minutes to go. That is why they lost.

TheDMC

Bench
And stopped in the line to boot. He has to go through the line or not go into it. He literally was in the Warriors defensive line after engaging contact into Afoa who is looking to get out off the line to shut down the space.

Textbook obstruction. It amazes me a professional coach can hoodwink himself into thinking differently. If he thinks that play is on, it is a scary thought that he probably therefore coaches his teams to do it.

Pretty sure Ricky's delusions and blame of every life form in the universe except himself and his team is why the Raiders can't sort their shit out.

Iafeta

Referee
Totally. He holds no one accountable. Tries to hide behind a correct ruling.

I believe the rotation halves theory that he is running with is killing the Raiders momentum. That’s his error. But he hides from it.

skeepe

Immortal

Sure, but last week the same thing was a try.

wibble

Bench
Yes, he is correct. But it's not why his team lost. They could not stop the opposition marching up the field twice in a row to kick field goals, having conceded a very soft try with 3 minutes to go. That is why they lost.

I understand his frustration at losing so many close games, and even little things that you think go against you make a difference in tight games.

But this is Stuart's issue press conference after press conference. He complains about those little things, and even if he is right, he is not addressing fundamental flaws in their game.

Their last two defensive sets, when the game was on the line and it mattered most, were diabolical. I'd hope he would know that there are controllable things that are fundamental to the game that his side aren't getting right, and it is costing them the close results.

I'd hope his complaining is a smokescreen, and they know what they need to work on.

But they are so consistently failing at crucial times on simple plays, I have my doubts that his attitude on display in press conferences isn't also his view of what is going wrong.

tripster

Juniors
I understand his frustration at losing so many close games, and even little things that you think go against you make a difference in tight games.

But this is Stuart's issue press conference after press conference. He complains about those little things, and even if he is right, he is not addressing fundamental flaws in their game.

Their last two defensive sets, when the game was on the line and it mattered most, were diabolical. I'd hope he would know that there are controllable things that are fundamental to the game that his side aren't getting right, and it is costing them the close results.

I'd hope his complaining is a smokescreen, and they know what they need to work on.

But they are so consistently failing at crucial times on simple plays, I have my doubts that his attitude on display in press conferences isn't also his view of what is going wrong.

I agree. I think the reality of the Raiders’ team that causes their crumbling in tight games is the makeup of the squad.

Ricky has moulded a team that is massive - he seems to have sought out the biggest forwards he could get his hands on. Papalii, Paulo, Boyd are all giants. He also has serious size in the centres with BJ and in other positions in the backs. I could be wrong but my visual impression of the Raiders pack is that it is one of the largest in the competion.

Equally, however, those big boys don’t seem particularly well conditioned.

I think this has the consequence that they inevitably fade in tight games - by 80 minutes it just isn’t possible for those big boppers to be defending well or making good decisions. Fatigue does that to you. Not in the very limited interchange regime the game now has.

Hence they fade out near the end of tight games and you have results like today.

I also think there are a lot of very dumb players in the side - fatigued or not. BJ for example must be up there as one the dumbest players in the league. You don’t need too much brains to play league well but BJ barely cuts the mustard in that department.

Ricky blames the referees for it - and no doubt there have been some bad calls along the way - but Ricky also doesn’t seem to have realised that the game has moved on from the player selection and coaching methodology that might have worked back in the early 2000s and Ricky hasn’t kept up.

Dave_

Juniors
Too many fatties. Probably the worst center pairing in the comp too...BlowJob is an absolute rock eater and Choker... he's just so vanilla and a true mental midget.

I honestly do feel for the fans but it's too funny to see Ricky lose. He's so shit that it's easy to forget that he was a great player once

gitano

Juniors
Excusing me please I missed the game and was wondering if someone could let me know the score.

Raiders on the fade again?

Latest posts