What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R3 Sat - Raiders 19-20 Warriors @ GIO

Round 3: Raiders v Warriors

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iafeta

Referee
The Blair sin binning was a bit crook. Yes, he deserved it. But 46 penalties and 45 sets in a row before that, Jordan Rapana dropped it as cold as you like and for some god unknown reason Canberra get a penalty. We should have been working it out from our own end after that.

Two try leg up from the refs and we still win. I’m loving it.

mongoose

Coach
The Blair sin binning was a bit crook. Yes, he deserved it. But 46 penalties and 45 sets in a row before that, Jordan Rapana dropped it as cold as you like and for some god unknown reason Canberra get a penalty. We should have been working it out from our own end after that.

Two try leg up from the refs and we still win. I’m loving it.

Warriors are looking like a different team this year. Very composed and focused. Luke and RTS were great in this game. If Johnson, Luke and RTS can all stay on the field the Warriors could do anything this year.

TheFrog

Coach
The Warriors weren't that great either, but they did play out the 80 and against this opposition, that is usually enough.

TheFrog

Coach
the first replay immediately showed it was the defender being impeded and no try.
As we saw in the first game on Friday, the defender being impeded does not necessarily result in no try. The obstruction rule is a lottery, no two ways about it. Sticky is dead right in that regard.

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors weren't that great either, but they did play out the 80 and against this opposition, that is usually enough.

What’s the saying - good teams find a way to win ugly. With the start the two Magoos gave to Canberra, the Raiders should have been 24 blot up within 15 minutes. The Warriors kept turning them away. That to me is where the game was won. League is a momentum game, we had none and yet by 15 minutes in were only 6 behind.

I will say the last 10 minutes of the Warriors was exceptional. They were carving out big metres with ease up the guts. In the past the Warriors would have lacked composure. Here they didn’t.

I will also add in the 3 games so far the Warriors bench has destroyed their opponents. One bloke who has flown under the radar in all of this is Bunty Afoa. If Simon Mannering is fit I’m not even sure Bunty would have made the 17. But his post contact metres are off the chart and creating a ton of space for Luke to create havoc around the ruck.

Iafeta

Referee
As we saw in the first game on Friday, the defender being impeded does not necessarily result in no try. The obstruction rule is a lottery, no two ways about it. Sticky is dead right in that regard.

The Penrith incident was a horrible error. But that doesn’t mean the next time it happens you have to repeat the error. It was blatant textbook obstruction. Penalty every day of the week.

In the Penrith game the bunker said the contact was minimal. Firstly that’s not in the rule book so that’s wrong. But, conversely, the Canberra contact was the complete opposite. Afoas right arm is still tangled up in the Raiders player as Paulo runs past him.

wibble

Bench
The thing is that they're not even close games. They are utter capitulations.

Yeah, you're right in a sense, even if it is a little overstated :)

They are not necessarily "utter capitulations" if you think about the Eels capitulating to the Sea Eagles.

But it is appropriate to discuss the Raiders as "fading" rather than just losing close ones.

A team can be outplayed, but hang on all game and still be within striking distance, but just not have enough artillery to actually win, and lose a close one. That is not the Raider's issue.

Two teams can go back and forth, swapping leads, and it is almost arbitrary when the 80 minutes ends and decides the winner. The other team loses a close one. That is not the Raider's issue (mostly, though these sorts of games can come down to game management at the right times, and that is certainly a problem for the Raiders).

You are right in that the "close" games where a team has a defend-able lead with a few minutes left, but manages to pull out several very poor plays in a row and lose should probably be called capitulation. If it becomes a pattern it is a capitulation rather than "losing a close one", at least compared to the other two types of "close" loss. And that is certainly the issue for the Raiders.

I agree. I think the reality of the Raiders’ team that causes their crumbling in tight games is the makeup of the squad.

Ricky has moulded a team that is massive - he seems to have sought out the biggest forwards he could get his hands on. Papalii, Paulo, Boyd are all giants. He also has serious size in the centres with BJ and in other positions in the backs. I could be wrong but my visual impression of the Raiders pack is that it is one of the largest in the competion.

Equally, however, those big boys don’t seem particularly well conditioned.

I think this has the consequence that they inevitably fade in tight games - by 80 minutes it just isn’t possible for those big boppers to be defending well or making good decisions. Fatigue does that to you. Not in the very limited interchange regime the game now has.

Hence they fade out near the end of tight games and you have results like today.

I also think there are a lot of very dumb players in the side - fatigued or not. BJ for example must be up there as one the dumbest players in the league. You don’t need too much brains to play league well but BJ barely cuts the mustard in that department.

Ricky blames the referees for it - and no doubt there have been some bad calls along the way - but Ricky also doesn’t seem to have realised that the game has moved on from the player selection and coaching methodology that might have worked back in the early 2000s and Ricky hasn’t kept up.

I agree with Tripster here that a massive squad that fatigues towards the end of a game, and some inherently stupid players are contributing factors.

Even in 2016, when they had a great run with more or less the same squad, and could easily have won the competition with some "luck", they faded out of the finals in the same fashion.

So even when they are in peak form, their weakness is falling apart at the end. The current team still seems to have that weakness, and is not going to have the same strength as the 2016 team while Hodgson is out, so it is tough to know how they can improve.

Their halves certainly need to take more responsibility for closing out games, and their "rotation" is probably both a disruption to them, and a sign that Stuart is not satisfied with their ability to do this, but hasn't worked out a fix yet.

Maybe they need to ask Issac Luke about his diet and fitness regime for 2018!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...w-zealand-warriors-clash-20180325-h0xxcq.html

Sam Lisone cited for two dangerous contact offences in the lead up to both NZ field goals.

Both would have been shots at goal for the Raiders from right in front if penalised.

Nog sure about both- he took the last hitup before the winning field goal so I assume one instance was then, which would’ve been inside the Raiders half, outside kickable range. The first may have been though.

TheDMC

Bench

I didn't see the Friday incident. Regardless, Sticky is moaning that a try should have been awarded for what was an utterly clear and correct no try call, therefore his assertion that it should have been 25-6 and Canberra win is utter nonsense and deflection. Moan over a incorrect call that costs you the game by all means. Moan over inconsistency. But don't moan that a correct call cost you the game.

That Friday's call was (presumably wrong) and that there is confusion and inconsistency over rulings in this area does need to be sorted out.

bileduct

Coach
Nog sure about both- he took the last hitup before the winning field goal so I assume one instance was then, which would’ve been inside the Raiders half, outside kickable range. The first may have been though.
Watch the last few minutes. Both of them are from the first hit up after the kick off following the try and first field goal. He forearms Sezer in the face twice. Sezer stays down after the second one. Both are 15 meters out and almost right in front.

Last edited: