What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R3 Sun - Roosters 38-8 Knights @ Allianz

Round 3: Roosters v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Misanthrope

Staff member
Didn't show much at Brisbane either to be honest but I hate to be that guy who talks shit about a bloke just because he recently left my club

Don’t worry, you’ll never be a Cowboys fan pretending not to be gutted about losing Ponga by saying he’s shit.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Give him time. We live in an instant gratification age.

Also he blitzed it last week.

But fullback is such a crucial position and their work with the halves is so intricate that it'll take time for them all to adapt.

But when he does, and he will, look out.

I don’t doubt he’ll be a success for the roosters and likely win a Comp. I’m more saying this as Teddy probably envisioned himself scoring at will on the back of this star studded side. He’s gone from being the killer whale in the tiny pond to the groper in the pacific.

Noname36

First Grade
Congrats Roosters. Just too good, way too good.

I'm not really all that disappointed as a Knights fan. We were in that a lot more than the scoreline suggested but destroyed ourselves big time with the stupid errors and the major difference between the two sides was that when the Roosters got a half chance they were able to capitalise on it clinically where we just weren't getting ourselves into the right positions to take those final passes.

It will come. We were always going to have a difficult start to the year with 9 new players trying to develop combinations. I hope their looking at the Roosters as where they want to be one day in regards to this. At least now the media might leave them, and especially Pearce and Ponga alone. They've had ridiculous pressure on them which is so stupid when it's the side coming off 3x wooden spoons.

mozza91

Coach
2016-17 Knights on display now.
Not really. If the Roosters played like that against us in 2016 they’d of put 70 on us.

They were way too good. We were abit unlucky with a few of the tries and bombed a couple of good opportunities. We competed for the most of the game though which was pleasing. A loss takes some attention off us and shows how much we need to improve to beat the top sides.

Valheru

Coach
Congrats Roosters. Just too good, way too good.

I'm not really all that disappointed as a Knights fan. We were in that a lot more than the scoreline suggested but destroyed ourselves big time with the stupid errors and the major difference between the two sides was that when the Roosters got a half chance they were able to capitalise on it clinically where we just weren't getting ourselves into the right positions to take those final passes.

It will come. We were always going to have a difficult start to the year with 9 new players trying to develop combinations. I hope their looking at the Roosters as where they want to be one day in regards to this. At least now the media might leave them, and especially Pearce and Ponga alone. They've had ridiculous pressure on them which is so stupid when it's the side coming off 3x wooden spoons.

Newcastle can just move on with the season now that this is over. TBH I don't think the media did you any favours this week questioning the whole Pearce thing, our forward pack and whether Newcastle would pull our pants down. I think it fired our players up and made them more motivated than they otherwise would for an early season game.

I think the return fixture will be much closer.

Noname36

First Grade
Newcastle can just move on with the season now that this is over. TBH I don't think the media did you any favours this week questioning the whole Pearce thing, our forward pack and whether Newcastle would pull our pants down. I think it fired our players up and made them more motivated than they otherwise would for an early season game.

I think the return fixture will be much closer.

Yeah, the media were playing it as this huge grudge match but not seeing the reality that the Roosters are a side looking at a premiership this year while the Knights are just trying to improve and not get another spoon.

We're better than I thought we'd be by now but we're still no where near the Roosters level.

beave

Coach
Don’t worry, you’ll never be a Cowboys fan pretending not to be gutted about losing Ponga by saying he’s shit.

What Cowboys fan has ever said he’s shit?

The only thing that is/was shit was his old mans handling of the whole thing. Even you have to admit that Mis.

Noname36

First Grade
What Cowboys fan has ever said he’s shit?

The only thing that is/was shit was his old mans handling of the whole thing. Even you have to admit that Mis.

I don't think any ever directly said he was shit but we copped a lot when we signed him, saying his playing style and size couldn't make it in FG, and that we'd wasted a lot of money, etc.

Oh well it doesn't matter now. I'm just stoked that we signed him. Something seems to happen every time he goes near the ball. Even in a well-beaten side he looked special.

TheFrog

Coach
Not really. If the Roosters played like that against us in 2016 they’d of put 70 on us.
I doubt it. They ran 15th. They did still put the cleaners through your mob though IIRC.

The Knights did get ragged in the last quarter of the game tonight, a legacy of the dark years I suppose.

The Roosters are a premiership threat, no doubt about it. It's the bottom 10 or so teams you guys have to beat.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
I don't think any ever directly said he was shit but we copped a lot when we signed him, saying his playing style and size couldn't make it in FG, and that we'd wasted a lot of money, etc.

Oh well it doesn't matter now. I'm just stoked that we signed him. Something seems to happen every time he goes near the ball. Even in a well-beaten side he looked special.

You lot certainly took a risk by giving him the $$$ you have mate but IMO it’s a calculated risk that will more than likely pay off. NQ wanted to put him in Qcup it seemed and bring him through properly into FG once Coote left at the end of this year but he wanted an accelerated path and we couldn’t throw the $$$ his way that Newy could because of the guys we currently have on the books.

Good luck to him I say.

NQ fans all know how talented he is and don’t begrudge him the cash down there at all but the way his old man whored him in the media during the whole thing and then coming out and trying to slander the NQ club in the media when we wouldn’t give him an early release was pretty f**king ordinary and the one thing I took a pretty big offence to. NQ aren’t perfect, but f**k me, keep your shit behind closed doors and if you have an issue with the club, don’t go screaming to the media to try and piss the club off so they just give in and give you what you ultimatley want.

But he has the makings of a super star and like you said, you can see it at times when he just strides around defences with apparent ease.

TheFrog

Coach
the media were playing it as this huge grudge match but not seeing the reality that the Roosters are a side looking at a premiership this year while the Knights are just trying to improve and not get another spoon.
I don't think either of those will happen. The Roosters have a habit of failing in the finals. They'll make it there but they'll be stopped. The Knights are much too good a side to run last again despite what happened tonight.

Noname36

First Grade
You lot certainly took a risk by giving him the $$$ you have mate but IMO it’s a calculated risk that will more than likely pay off. NQ wanted to put him in Qcup it seemed and bring him through properly into FG once Coote left at the end of this year but he wanted an accelerated path and we couldn’t throw the $$$ his way that Newy could because of the guys we currently have on the books.

Good luck to him I say.

NQ fans all know how talented he is and don’t begrudge him the cash down there at all but the way his old man whored him in the media during the whole thing and then coming out and trying to slander the NQ club in the media when we wouldn’t give him an early release was pretty f**king ordinary and the one thing I took a pretty big offence to. NQ aren’t perfect, but f**k me, keep your shit behind closed doors and if you have an issue with the club, don’t go screaming to the media to try and piss the club off so they just give in and give you what you ultimatley want.

But he has the makings of a super star and like you said, you can see it at times when he just strides around defences with apparent ease.

To be honest the money the Knights gave Ponga is standard (or maybe a bit less) for a FG fullback and that's always where Brown saw him - yes a risk. The club never signed him hoping he'd become a superstar but just an upgrade on what we already had - and in that instance the "risk" has already paid off given we don't win our 2 first games without him and wins for us don't come as easily as they do for some clubs. We couldn't have done that with the likes of our previous makeshift fullbacks like Ross or Gagai.

I know it's all in hindsight though because I have to admit watching Ponga last year there were a few small concerns pop up in my mind but he's come an incredibly long way in one off season and to be fair the Cowboys couldn't have predicted that when they had to decide between him and Coote.

I don't have any issue with his Dad to be honest. If you know your kid is going to get more of a shot at FG if he's released then you're going to do whatever you can to try and make that happen. Was it the right thing to do morally? Maybe not, but when it's to help your kid get where he wants to be everything else takes a back seat. That's just what you do. You make a nuisance out of yourself so your kid doesn't need to.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I don't think either of those will happen. The Roosters have a habit of failing in the finals. They'll make it there but they'll be stopped. The Knights are much too good a side to run last again despite what happened tonight.

They'll very hard to beat IMO especially with Melbourne, NQ and especially the Sharks looking to have declined a bit on last year.

Latest posts