What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R7 Sat - Rabbitohs 42-22 Raiders @ Central Coast

Round 7: Rabbitohs v Raiders

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Life's Good

Coach
Just out of curiosity why should he have been sent off? Sezer ducked at the last minute to make it look way worse than what it was. It wasn’t a professional foul in any sense. It was just poor timing.
1. He connected with the head
2. You can’t attack the head whether it’s intentional or not.

Players have been marched for less. Did I expect him to be sent off? No, because the refs are weak merkins & that’s why this sort of thing keeps happening.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
1. He connected with the head
2. You can’t attack the head whether it’s intentional or not.

Players have been marched for less. Did I expect him to be sent off? No, because the refs are weak merkins & that’s why this sort of thing keeps happening.

Right. It was completely ugly and i'm not defending that but the only reason a player should be sent off for a shot like that is if the opposing player is unlikely to take part in the rest of the game. Sezer got straight back up after the shot and was ready to go. So ultimately if Sezer stays down and milks it then Sam probably gets sin binned.

I guess we'll also forget about Whitehead shoulder charging AJ in the air or blindsinding Burgess without the ball and none of that going on report.

Life's Good

Coach
Right. It was completely ugly and i'm not defending that but the only reason a player should be sent off for a shot like that is if the opposing player is unlikely to take part in the rest of the game. Sezer got straight back up after the shot and was ready to go. So ultimately if Sezer stays down and milks it then Sam probably gets sin binned.

I guess we'll also forget about Whitehead shoulder charging AJ in the air or blindsinding Burgess without the ball and none of that going on report.

The fact Sezer got up doesn’t alter the fact he got hit high.
As for the Whitehead shot, it was very poor and should go on report because AJ was pretty defenceless in the air. No different to the GBurgess hitting Bateman across the head very late in the game. All those incidents should come in for scrutiny.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The fact Sezer got up doesn’t alter the fact he got hit high.
As for the Whitehead shot, it was very poor and should go on report because AJ was pretty defenceless in the air. No different to the GBurgess hitting Bateman across the head very late in the game. All those incidents should come in for scrutiny.

You're right it doesn't alter the fact that he got hit high but it does change whether its a send off or not. There was an article that the SMH released earlier this year where they talk about this exact subject. This was a quote from the article. I'll also link the article.

"Many such as serious lifting tackles and shoulder charges have previously been put on report, but have not been considered bad enough to warrant a send off – even if it has left an opposition player injured or ruled unfit for the rest of the game. But the NRL has asked its referees and bunker officials to use their discretion if a player is unlikely to take further part in the game – such as when Slater was knocked out by Soliola – when determining a penalty for an offender."

As you can see. Referees are advised to use the send off if the opposition player is so badly hurt that he won't be able to play the rest of the game. It was poor timing but if they start sending players off for hits like that then there's gonna be a serious problem in rugby league.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...rmining-sin-bin-offences-20180216-h0w7wo.html

Life's Good

Coach
You're right it doesn't alter the fact that he got hit high but it does change whether its a send off or not. There was an article that the SMH released earlier this year where they talk about this exact subject. This was a quote from the article. I'll also link the article.

"Many such as serious lifting tackles and shoulder charges have previously been put on report, but have not been considered bad enough to warrant a send off – even if it has left an opposition player injured or ruled unfit for the rest of the game. But the NRL has asked its referees and bunker officials to use their discretion if a player is unlikely to take further part in the game – such as when Slater was knocked out by Soliola – when determining a penalty for an offender."

As you can see. Referees are advised to use the send off if the opposition player is so badly hurt that he won't be able to play the rest of the game. It was poor timing but if they start sending players off for hits like that then there's gonna be a serious problem in rugby league.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...rmining-sin-bin-offences-20180216-h0w7wo.html

All that indicates is the refs can use discretion. Like I posted before, they are weak merkins for not binning or sending off when the situation presents itself.

Out of curiosity, do you intend to engage every other poster who thought Burgess should have been marched or are you just singling me out for special attention?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
All that indicates is the refs can use discretion. Like I posted before, they are weak merkins for not binning or sending off when the situation presents itself.

Out of curiosity, do you intend to engage every other poster who thought Burgess should have been marched or are you just singling me out for special attention?

But don't you see the problem in that statement there? There is no situation that deserves a sin bin? Getting hit high happens all the time in rugby league and Sezer was absolutely fine. It was a bad shot that deserved a penalty and might even deserve 2 weeks out of the game but i just don't see the situation in which it deserves a sin bin.

No of course not. You were just the most recent i saw. Sorry if you feel attacked i just thought you might be able to justify your statement as i generally like what you post.

Life's Good

Coach
But don't you see the problem in that statement there? There is no situation that deserves a sin bin? Getting hit high happens all the time in rugby league and Sezer was absolutely fine. It was a bad shot that deserved a penalty and might even deserve 2 weeks out of the game but i just don't see the situation in which it deserves a sin bin.

No of course not. You were just the most recent i saw. Sorry if you feel attacked i just thought you might be able to justify your statement as i generally like what you post.

The problem with the statement is ‘discretion’ IMO. Refs are scared to go to town on bins/send off for fear of backlash ‘ruined the game, disadvantaged one side etc’. That’s all well and good and certainly true but it shouldn’t be an excuse to turn a blind eye to foul play.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The problem with the statement is ‘discretion’ IMO. Refs are scared to go to town on bins/send off for fear of backlash ‘ruined the game, disadvantaged one side etc’. That’s all well and good and certainly true but it shouldn’t be an excuse to turn a blind eye to foul play.

Is it really turning a blind eye to the game by not sending players off though? As we mentioned before AJ was literally shoulder charged in the air. Imo that’s 100 times more dangerous than Sam’s high shot. However It was given a penalty and didn’t even go on report. I would’ve been happier if it went on report but I wouldn’t expect him to be sent off for an act like that even if it was ridiculously dangerous.

I believe that if you send Sam off for that shot then you’re opening a whole new can of worms for send offs and it’s gonna get ugly with a lot of inconsistency.

I do hear where you’re coming from though.

Life's Good

Coach
Is it really turning a blind eye to the game by not sending players off though? As we mentioned before AJ was literally shoulder charged in the air. Imo that’s 100 times more dangerous than Sam’s high shot. However It was given a penalty and didn’t even go on report. I would’ve been happier if it went on report but I wouldn’t expect him to be sent off for an act like that even if it was ridiculously dangerous.

I believe that if you send Sam off for that shot then you’re opening a whole new can of worms for send offs and it’s gonna get ugly with a lot of inconsistency.

I do hear where you’re coming from though.

I agree it would get messy & is highly unlikely to happen. I guess as a contact sport played at speed accidents will happen.

yobbo84

First Grade
We were pretty good. Canberra defended like a bunch of limp-wristed schoolgirls. That is all.

ed-grimley

Bench
Not for a very long time.
It looked like a dozen other high shots this season, some of which didn't even draw a penalty.. He might get a week for it.
Professional fouls are deemed more serious on the field than attacking the head of an opponent.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Croker is getting close to Nathan Merritt levels of finding the try line in games where his team has been utter puss

TheFrog

Coach
Sam looking at 2-3 weeks. Grade 2 Careless. Following the Jackson precedent, on the same player, a hit that looked at least as bad, I have no doubt Burgess will challenge the grading.

Latest posts